Getaway Dining Questions

abisha

Hi..is there any convenient "at a glance" dining guide listed somewhere for Getaway that shows all the dining choices and which ones are free or for a fee and what types of food/offerings you can get there and which meals they serve (B, L D)?

Where would I also find the info and cost for the dining package? Is it worth it (is it cost effective?)?

Also, how many formal evenings are there on Getaway and does anyone know which nights? Also, is it just the MDR that you would dress formal or are any other for fee venues included in that (or any that you would not need to on formal nights..other than buffet)? I'm doing a 7 night eastern itinerary in May 2015.

Thanks!

There are no formal nights on any NCL ships.

The dining package is worth it if you are going to be at the speciality restaurants most nights, or if you will eat at Cagneys a lot. You don't need to miss many nights for it to become not worth it.

There is info on the restaurants online. I'll get a link.

Edit: Here's the link:

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/getaway/onboard/dining#tab_detail

And here's the dining package costs:

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/gifts-and-more#diningpackage

Edited by KeithJenner

Once you check out the restaurants, it's pretty easy to decide if the UDP is going to be worth it for you. Keep in mind that it also includes Illusionarium for free on the first night. If you don't plan to do that, you'd have to eat specialty restaurants (including Cagney's) 5 times in those 7 nights in order to break even, (or just eat Cagney's 4 times to break even.)

I don't know how often they offer it, but check to see if there's a free dining package offer for your sailing as a booking incentive. They started offering this for our recent sailing after we had already booked and we just happened to see it. We called to have it added to our reservation.

Thanks for all the links and info. Much appreciated. It's funny, cuz when I booked I asked the NCL rep about the formal nights, and he said "they will tell you on the ship which nights those are!" Instead of saying there aren't any formal nights on NCL ships.

I'll have to inquire about seeing if there was a dining package for free for my booking.

The NCL rep did give us a voucher to receive a free cake..just because his name and my husband's name are the same! Too bad hubby doesn't eat cake..guess it'll all be for me!! :D

Thanks for all the links and info. Much appreciated. It's funny, cuz when I booked I asked the NCL rep about the formal nights, and he said "they will tell you on the ship which nights those are!" Instead of saying there aren't any formal nights on NCL ships.

Actually, maybe he was referring to Norwegian's Night Out event? Where is that held? Is there a good turnout for that?

One more question (and I'm sure I'll come up with more).. are "nice shorts" only allowed in specialty restaurants during the day? And smart casual is for evening in MDR and specialty restaurants? I am somewhat confused as to when and where smart casual dress is to be followed.

Thanks.

There will be one Norwegian Night Out during a 7 day cruise, but I don't know what night it is. People say that more people dress up on that night, but to be honest, I only ever know it's on because there is a thing put in the freestyle daily about it. On a couple of occasions I haven't even known when it happened. I think there are more photo opportunities, but it seems to be fairly low key.

The speciality restaurants are only open during the evening, except for a few exceptions, such as the noodle bar which may open for lunch on sea days. That does seem to change by ship and sailing though. I have heard of Moderno being open for lunch, I think, but never on a sailing I've been on, and I don't think they serve the usual menu.

Shorts are fine everywhere at any time except for the aft MDR and Le Bistro.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by KeithJenner