Not Quite Live from Oosterdam July 20 2014

brookeinmn

DW wife and I cruised last week. Dave with KTCT is the best. We had a great with him and saw beautiful wild life and nature. I highly recommend his taxi tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone. Dinner from the MDR on the balcony tonight. We all worked up quite an appetite after our amazing day. The sun came out and we had a nice ride to our Harv and Marv boat. There are not enough adjectives to describe how fabulous our day was. The whales put on a spectacular show. First we saw a single female and followed her for a bit. I believe her name was Sasha. Then we headed to the big group that was bubble feeding. There were about 10-12 whales all working together. The first mate put a microphone in the water. First the whales would sound, then we would all guess where they would pop up. The bubble net feeding just lasted a few seconds before they would take a few breaths and dive. They did this over and over. It was breathtaking. The trip to Mendenhall just capped off our day of celebrating Gods's beautiful creation. I will try to upload a few pics before we sail away to Skagway.

Captain just announced that all White Pass Rail is cancelled for tomorrow because of a derailment. No life threatening injuries were reported. Bummer :(

Well, you'll just have to go back to Alaska again to do this excursion.:D Trust me, it's not to be missed.

Luckily we had a minivan reserved through avis since we were planning to split up our group of 6 on the train. We had a somewhat late start today. We are all feeling a little bit of port fatigue and are looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow.

We had a beautiful drive up to Carcross. The sun followed us all day. We had a small black bear walk right across the highway in front of us. That was a fun sight. We had a good lunch at the Chilkoot Bakery in Carcross. Both the soup and sandwiches were good.

My husband dropped me off at the quilt shop in Skagway. It was a great shop! They have numerous local and regional designers, lots of interesting Alaska theme fabrics and batiks. The staff were super helpful and friendly as well. Great prices too!

Oh..when we were at the gold rush cemetary two damaged white pass rail trains passed by. I did take some pictures. One car had a smashed window and was noticably bent. I hope all the injured are doing well. I will try to upload pics tonight, but dinner and James Cielen's show are on tap before sailaway.

I could not be more impressed with HAL. The staff are exceptional. I have never failed to be greeted or acknowledged by ANY staff. The dining staff are so sweet to my boys. They address them by name and help get the youngest his food quickly. My husband says this is his favorite ship so far.

I've made the executive decision that if we can take enough time off we will take longer cruises next time. Just two more days...it's not enough. Hopefully pics later!

Edited by brookeinmn

Please pray for the passenger that had to be med evac'ed out of Skagway tonight. Flight nurses and EMT's have been on the ship for awhile now. We are 1.5 hrs late on our departure from Skagway so far. They have a plane ready to fly the sick passenger to Juneau.

Please pray for the passenger that had to be med evac'ed out of Skagway tonight. Flight nurses and EMT's have been on the ship for awhile now. We are 1.5 hrs late on our departure from Skagway so far. They have a plane ready to fly the sick passenger to Juneau.

Sorry to hear this.

Prayers that the passenger will be all right.

Good morning from sunny and cool Seward. We disembark in an hour. A quick summary of the last 2 days.

Glacier Bay was super cloudy and foggy. I was afraid we wouldnt see anything. My oldest son and I had lunch in the MDR then took off for the bow. Once we stepped over that threshhold my son says "woah mama." It was hilarious. Margerie was gorgeous.

We had really calm seas across the gulf yesterday. I busied myself with various activities and took a much needed nap.

Last night was our date night. The kids went to the MDR with the extended family, then to club hal. We had 7:00 reservations for Pinnacle. Unfortunately something was wrong in the kitchen and an hour and 20 minutes later we had only been served an amuse-bouche and an appetizer. We just got up and left. The service was terrible. They brought out a shrimp cocktail, that we had not ordered, to make up for the slow service. I said I dont eat shrimp and the waiter just shrugged. The wonderful staff of the MDR saved the day. A quick visit to the front desk assured us we would not be charged. They also had a bottle of wine waiting in the piano bar for us.

We had a great cruise. I could easily spend another week on board!

Edited by brookeinmn