Carnival Valor Bringing on Alcohol

cujo67chevy

If you do not agree with sneaking on alcohol, please stop reading now or not commenting would be appreciated.

I have been on the Conquest several times out of Galveston, along with the Magic and RCCL once and the Princess out of Houston once. I have been lucky that the alcohol smuggled in my luggage given to the porters (not carried on with me) has made it through. Mine was always put in another container but my wife would just have her Patron in the bottle. Normally, we start the process of board the ship around 11:30 or noon and the ship leaves at 5:00 p.m.

My next cruise is on the Valor, out of San Juan. Boarding is around the same time; however, leaving port is around 10:30 that evening.

My concerns are that they will have more time to check the luggage you don't carry on with you at the alcohol can possibly be taken.

Is there anyone out there that knows the process of delivery from the dock to your stateroom to whether if they scan all luggage now that they have more time or do they still have to push it through real fast so they can get to work on other things since there are still people on the ship to serve? Is there a best time to get on the ship to avoid having your luggage checked? Maybe it would be best whenever there is a mad rush?

Anyways, thanks for any info I can receive.

If you do not agree with sneaking on alcohol, please stop reading now or not commenting would be appreciated.

I have been on the Conquest several times out of Galveston, along with the Magic and RCCL once and the Princess out of Houston once. I have been lucky that the alcohol smuggled in my luggage given to the porters (not carried on with me) has made it through. Mine was always put in another container but my wife would just have her Patron in the bottle. Normally, we start the process of board the ship around 11:30 or noon and the ship leaves at 5:00 p.m.

My next cruise is on the Valor, out of San Juan. Boarding is around the same time; however, leaving port is around 10:30 that evening.

My concerns are that they will have more time to check the luggage you don't carry on with you at the alcohol can possibly be taken.

Is there anyone out there that knows the process of delivery from the dock to your stateroom to whether if they scan all luggage now that they have more time or do they still have to push it through real fast so they can get to work on other things since there are still people on the ship to serve? Is there a best time to get on the ship to avoid having your luggage checked? Maybe it would be best whenever there is a mad rush?

Anyways, thanks for any info I can receive.

What I can tell you is that the laid back port workers are less likely to worry about it as much. Not saying they will let it on, but more of a percentage of people trying to smuggle it on make it through. I personally have never tried but have heard that there are ways.... the X-ray scanner for carry on luggage if they see some liquor over the limit (1 bottle of wine per person of age) they will put a little pink tag on your bag, then you are supposed to surrender your alcohol at the table on the ship..... which is up the ramp and around the corner (where you rearrange your bag and or take off the tag) Or the in port liquor store will give you instructions as to how to get bottles you buy there on the ship.

Not sure what type of alcohol were wanting to bring onboard, but when we took that exact same cruise, we were able to bring mutliple bottles of wine. We checked in and took our first set of wine on board and then went back out to Old Town San Juan. When we came back on, we had 2 more bottles of wine. The workers have no way of knowing whether you had brought 2 bottles on or not.

The easiest port EVER to sneak alcohol onboard. I boarded, got off, reboarded, got off and reboarded again....bringing on several bottles of wine. They don't keep track of when you leave and when you come back. You can bring on one bottle each, and I happen to only drink wine. So we had enough for dinner (only time I drink) every night. It was awesome. And your cruise is the best one you will ever go on!!!! We sailed last spring ('13). GREAT cruise on the Valor!!!:D

Let them take your big luggage outside. Have at least a carry on or back pack to keep with you. Buy whatever liquor you want upstairs at the liquor store. Leave the bottles in the bag they give you. Don't hide them yet. Once you go through Carnival's scanner they will put a ribbon on your liquor bag. When leaving the scanners you will go through a door and around a corner. Stop, take bottles and place them in carry on or back pack. The place where Carnival is setup to take your tagged bottles is far from that spot past the "Z" shaped gangway just before walking on the ship. Just walk past them normally. No questions will be asked as long as your bottles are hidden in your carry on or back pack. It's that easy. We followed these instructions from the Port of Call board and took on 4 bottles in March.

Let them take your big luggage outside. Have at least a carry on or back pack to keep with you. Buy whatever liquor you want upstairs at the liquor store. Leave the bottles in the bag they give you. Don't hide them yet. Once you go through Carnival's scanner they will put a ribbon on your liquor bag. When leaving the scanners you will go through a door and around a corner. Stop, take bottles and place them in carry on or back pack. The place where Carnival is setup to take your tagged bottles is far from that spot past the "Z" shaped gangway just before walking on the ship. Just walk past them normally. No questions will be asked as long as your bottles are hidden in your carry on or back pack. It's that easy. We followed these instructions from the Port of Call board and took on 4 bottles in March.

Excatly!!! Do as Finoky says & you will have no problems. This is what I just did last month and it was actually the sales person in the duty free store downstairs that told us this. Have a great cruise!!!

Excatly!!! Do as Finoky says & you will have no problems. This is what I just did last month and it was actually the sales person in the duty free store downstairs that told us this. Have a great cruise!!!

Yep, we did this too. Funny thing though, I got some awesome deals at that wholesale shop so that's why I bought the bottles. Didn't even crack open one single bottle! I had them displayed on our shelf in our room. Made pretty decorations. We were too busy in ports to drink in the daytime and like I said before I only drink wine and that's at night. These ended up as gifts for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by t1adams

My nephew and I each had a 6 pack of Bud Light bottles we bought in CVS in a backpack. Both backpacks were scanned and given back to us with a "have a great cruise". Nothing said.

With that, I'm back in San Juan in November and plan on trying it again and again depending how many times I get on and off the ship.

Cruised on Valor 1st week of June.......had a bottle in four different suitcases among four people.

Two suitcases got the letter.......two came through with bottle.

When I went to pick up bottles at end of cruise there were about 40 confiscated bottle there. (plus about 40 irons)

Just came off this ship in May. I carried a beach bag as my carry on, we check-in, unloaded his carry on and got back off. We walked down to CVS and bought 4 bottles of wine and put them in my carry on. No one said a word and we had to go back through the scanners and past the alcohol check point. We simply kept walking, however I wanted some chocolate so we got back off and went to the shop in the terminal. I had the worlds smallest bag for my Godiva's and the same woman I originally walked past demanded to see inside my bag:confused:. Not sure why, mind you I don't mean the huge beach bag I mean the bag I got from the store.

Did you ever notice that this topic is almost always talked about every day on Carnival boards, and very seldom on other boards. Whenever a person starts one of these, on the Carnival board, it makes Carnival look bad to others that might be thinking of going on. It gives the impression of Carnival being a giant party boat, and turns people off. Why not just sneak it on, without broadcasting to the whole world, how easy it is?

Did you ever notice that this topic is almost always talked about every day on Carnival boards, and very seldom on other boards. Whenever a person starts one of these, on the Carnival board, it makes Carnival look bad to others that might be thinking of going on. It gives the impression of Carnival being a giant party boat, and turns people off. Why not just sneak it on, without broadcasting to the whole world, how easy it is?

I have noticed this and I think it is because many of the cruisers are in fact interested in this. It is what it is. I found it odd to read they sell shots at dinner. It is a bit different atmosphere.

However I found this thread informative and appreciate the tips I learned, because I too am one of the ones interested in this.

I still firmly believe that if Carnival didn't charge such exhorbitant amounts for liquor purchased through them or drinks at the bar, there would be a whole lot less smuggling going on. I mean, seriously, $90 for a bottle of tequila or bourbon? Really?

I still firmly believe that if Carnival didn't charge such exhorbitant amounts for liquor purchased through them or drinks at the bar, there would be a whole lot less smuggling going on. I mean, seriously, $90 for a bottle of tequila or bourbon? Really?

Alcohol sales make up a large portion of revenues for a cruise ship. In the CNBC documentary "Big Money On The High Seas" it showed how crucial alcohol sales are to whether a particular cruise ends up being a profit or a loss for the company. People are willing to pay $70+ for that bottle of liquor because they do not want to deal with the hassles of smuggling (and it possibly being confiscated) and understand that the bottle is a better value than purchasing individual drinks.

So your solution is $1 drinks and $10 bottles of rum? What do you do at concerts, sporting events, etc., where a beer is now almost $10? Smuggle?

I have noticed this and I think it is because many of the cruisers are in fact interested in this. It is what it is. I found it odd to read they sell shots at dinner. It is a bit different atmosphere.

However I found this thread informative and appreciate the tips I learned, because I too am one of the ones interested in this.

RCCL sells B-52 shots at dinner. Is there something wrong with this?

RCCL sells B-52 shots at dinner. Is there something wrong with this?

Nope don't think it is "wrong"

I just think of dinner in the main dinning room as almost like a special meal in a fancy dinning restaurant back home. So to me that is kind of odd and not something I am accustomed to. just my opinion.

This thread is interesting to me in that the cost of the drinks seem really high and I would love to add a little spike to my lemonade out on the balcony.

Thanks for the tips!

Alcohol sales make up a large portion of revenues for a cruise ship. In the CNBC documentary "Big Money On The High Seas" it showed how crucial alcohol sales are to whether a particular cruise ends up being a profit or a loss for the company. People are willing to pay $70+ for that bottle of liquor because they do not want to deal with the hassles of smuggling (and it possibly being confiscated) and understand that the bottle is a better value than purchasing individual drinks.

So your solution is $1 drinks and $10 bottles of rum? What do you do at concerts, sporting events, etc., where a beer is now almost $10? Smuggle?

Nope, drink in the parking lot.....

Not so unusual Royal does this also, I have a whole set from Adventure of the sea.

You mean it's not a giant party boat???

You guys that tell people how to smuggle booze on the ships must realize that CCL reads these boards so if people are telling ways to smuggle they are not pulling the wool over CCL eyes. If you get a idea just do it don't put on CC boards so the whole world can read it .

Gary

Edited by Shipbound

You guys that tell people how to smuggle booze on the ships must realize that CCL reads these boards so if people are telling ways to smuggle they are not pulling the wool over CCL eyes. If you get a idea just do it don't put on CC boards so the whole world can read it .

Gary

The stories and methods have been on here since at least 2005 when I joined.

The cost is no different than any other cruise line, yet you don't see these kinds of threads on CCL, RCCL, Princess, etc...

Did you ever notice that this topic is almost always talked about every day on Carnival boards, and very seldom on other boards.

Sorry, but this statement is not true. I just did my first Carnival cruise 6 weeks ago. My other two cruises in the last five were on different lines. Each time I remember reading about getting liquor on board whatever ship I was going on in these forums before I boarded those other lines.