To Cruise or not to Cruise

Tamsha

I am in a dilemma and hoping someone can help me. My family (husband and 2 kids, boy 17 and girl 12) are planning a trip to Orlando in February. My daughter and I really want to try a 3 night cruise to the Bahamas. My husband has no interest in a cruise (wants to spend the week in Orlando only) and my son doesnt really care either way. I am trying to convince him to change his mind and give it a go. I figure a 3 night cruise will be a good way to test the waters so to speak for any longer ones as we've been invited by a few friends for week long cruises.

Would I be wrong in dragging him along if he doesnt want to go? Do you think he'll end up enjoying it in the end? Will the cabins be so small that we'll get on each others nerves by the end of the trip? (plan on getting 2 of them). Would the cruise be better taken first or after Orlando?

Thanks so much!

I am in a dilemma and hoping someone can help me. My family (husband and 2 kids, boy 17 and girl 12) are planning a trip to Orlando in February. My daughter and I really want to try a 3 night cruise to the Bahamas. My husband has no interest in a cruise (wants to spend the week in Orlando only) and my son doesnt really care either way. I am trying to convince him to change his mind and give it a go. I figure a 3 night cruise will be a good way to test the waters so to speak for any longer ones as we've been invited by a few friends for week long cruises.

Would I be wrong in dragging him along if he doesnt want to go? Do you think he'll end up enjoying it in the end? Will the cabins be so small that we'll get on each others nerves by the end of the trip? (plan on getting 2 of them). Would the cruise be better taken first or after Orlando?

Thanks so much!

I used to be your husband, after sailing on Naval Ships for many years, why the heck would I want to go back to sea... I finally gave in and Now many Cruises later I love it :eek: .

As for the 3 day cruise, Too Short! if youre going to cruise go for the 7 day cruise. There is more to offer, lots to do and more of a family life time experience. Tell your husband all is included, or Itemize both trips, Im sure the Orlando trip will cost more.

Good Luck.

Hola Tamsha,

The majic word is PIZZA! :D Did you tell your son that he could eat 24 hours a day, or that there would be girls on the ship? If I was a teen, I know that one or all of the above would be all of the incentive that I would need. Where, besides on a cruise ship, can you feed a young man for less than $100 a day?

To be honest, I think a 3 day cruise is not the best way to introduce anyone to cruising. Those really short cruises tend not to be the best in terms of anything---food, service or anything else. You also tend to attract many of those who are trying to shove 7 days of fun and partying into 3 days of cruising. Also, some of the ships that do those short Bahama cruises are pretty bad in terms of upkeep and amenities. I don't know which ship you're talking about for this 3 day cruise, but I know of one that does those cruises, and that ship is pretty much an old rust bucket. You might have another one in mind, but be careful about which ship you chose.

Tamsha,

If it turns out you don't take him--take loads of pictures and bring back the daily schedule of events on the ship. Show him what he missed. We did a golf/cruise to Miami last year. First half was the 3 day cruise to Nassau that never happened. We went in September and hurricane Jeanne was there. We did a golf package once we got back to Florida. That way even though the cruise was a little of a disappointment in the fact that we never made it on Bahamian soil, we still had the golf courses to look forward to. For you the time of year should be fantastic. I think you will enjoy your whole trip. As for your husband......well what does he plan to accomplish in the days that you'd be on a cruise? Is he spending the whole time in Disney World or what? I think you have the right idea.

Tamsha: If you haven't been to Orlando before, I would spend the week there - there is so much to do at Disney and surrounding areas, and a fun way for the family to spend time together.

I haven't done a 3 night cruise, but it sounds very rushed to me. I enjoy cruising and loved our family trips to Disney....but I think I would find combining the two a little too hectic for one week and if I had the choice, it would be Orlando for the week with a rented car so I could spend a day or two at Coco Beach & NASA (it's only 1 1/4 hr. drive away).

Our first cruise was a 4 night. We wanted to try a cruise but just weren't too sure if we would like it. We don't like crowds and don't like organized tours. We would rather plan and do what we want when we want.

By breakfast of the first morning we both agreed that this was what we wanted to do for our vacations :)

• Would DH be really upset if you "drug him along"? If so, I'd say it's a no-go. No sense being miserable for the next few weeks or months if he is one to hold a grudge over something.
  • Would the family be willing to ditch Disney for a chance to go to Mexico, Grand Cayman, Bahamas, etc?
  • Even for a 3 night, would hubby be willing to split up? You and DD take the cruise and bring back lots of pictures. That could set the stage for a longer cruise next year.

One downside is the passport issue. It will be nearly $400 for the family. Yours will be good for 10 years and the kid's for 6. Of course, once you have them, it's a good reason to take another cruise. ("Honey, the passports are good and we already paid for them.")

There are a lot of good suggestions for you in this thread. I hope it works out for you.

Charlie

I did approach him with the subject of spending 6 days in the Orlando area and then driving to Cocoa Beach where he and my son could spend the weekend there touring Cape Canaveral and going on a day trip fishing while daughter and I cruised. They both seemed opened to that which is fine but I feel bad that they might be missing out on something fantastic and different than what we've ever done. I've mentioned doing a 7 day cruise only but that was a no go with him.

We are planning on booking the Royal Caribbean Soverign. Is that good or bad?

Suggest that husband and son stay in Orlando--let them tour the parsk for 3 days while you and your daughter do an all girls cruise.

BUT-- my husband never wanted to cruise-- always an excuse. afraid of being too confined was his biggie. He died a few short years ago with never havng experineced that stuff. Life is too short-- I suggest do it yourself. Dont feel bad about what it is he could be missing-- he does have choices too. Cruising is not for everyone/

Like Charlie and Kitty stated-=- 3 days is too short..by the time you get onits time to get backoff again. 3-4 days are nothing like the longer cruises

I agree with Serene. Go now. Life really is too short.

If the split trip arraingement is agreed upon, I would apply for the passports tommorrow and book ASAP.

Two reasons for this:

1. Prices tend to rise for many cruises any more.
    AND
  2. Once you have booked, son and hubby may just reconsider their decision. You want to leave them enough time to get their passports and have another cabin booked.

Charlie

To the OP, what you describe is very similar to the scenario that confronted me before my first cruise. I had reservations about going on a cruise. I had many misconceptions about cruising and being on a ship; so I was very hesitant to commit to the expense and time allocation for a cruise. I eventually ended up booking a 4-day Disneyworld vacation followed by a 3-day Big Red Boat cruise. I ended up loving it and have been on 11 cruises since. I think you will be very hard-pressed to convince your husband to go on a weeklong cruise, and even if you could, he might be so opposed to it that he will never view the cruise with an open mind. Even though I agree that a shorter cruise is not always as nice as a longer one, I think it's a good compromise.

Archived