Panama Canal Cruise

seamwoman

We are trying to book the Coral for April, 2015. The only balconies and mini suites are forward and aft. I'm motion sensitive and DH is sound sensitive. Please help us with your opinions. Karen

I'm probably going to be one of the few dissenting votes here, but I find there is less motion forward....well, maybe not less, but a different kind of motion. I find it smoother and without the vibration of aft cabins.

We are trying to book the Coral for April, 2015. The only balconies and mini suites are forward and aft. I'm motion sensitive and DH is sound sensitive. Please help us with your opinions. Karen

I won't recommend the balconies directly below the Horizon Court . It's located forward on the Lido not aft like most ships.

For motion…I'd recommend the lowest deck midship for the type of cabin you're wanting. There's less rocking motion. During my Panama Canal full transit from LA to Ft Lauderdale on the Island, we were in a Dolphin aft mini. We definitely felt movement and vibration from the engines. Interestingly, I always felt more movement in the Horizon Court on Island and Coral than anywhere. For some reason, I've always felt more movement on both Island and Coral than any other ship. It may just be me, but they just seem to move more than the larger ships…and it's always been on the Pacific when I've been on them.

If it were me, I'd book an MD aft mini-suite on Caribe deck. I think aft has less motion than forward plus you're on a high enough deck that you shouldn't experience much vibration. I much prefer aft locations because they are usually so quiet. On a lower deck, even mid-ship, you'll experience vibration from not just the engines but from the thrusters as well.

We sailed on the Island (sister ship to the Coral) last December traveling from Ft Lauderdale to LA. Our sons were on the Aloha deck in a balcony near the forward stairs by the Horizon Court and we were on Caribe deck in a mini-suite aft. The only heavy motion we encountered was at night after we passed Hispaniola. It was late at night and what we thought were rough seas although the navigation channel on TV reported mild seas. We had trouble walking back to our room on Caribe from the show but had no trouble dropping off to sleep. One son on Aloha was playing games on his computer late and became seasick the next day. My recommendation is to stay on a lower deck if prone to seasickness. One nice feature of being aft on Caribe is that there is a small deck at the rear of the ship that is great for watching the sea and transiting the Canal. Everybody seems to know about the forward deck but not the aft deck. Noise wasn't a problem in either location.

Thanks so much for all your suggestions. All the cabins we considered yesterday were guarantees which we didn't want. Today we found and booked a mid forward balcony with the hope of getting a mini-suite before the cruise so I will keep all your aft suggestions in mind. Karen