New to RCI - disembark ? About self assist

A friend who uses RCI exclusively told me I needed to go to guest services to request an early disembark. I searched several threads and cannot confirm this is necessary. Do not want to waste time waiting in line if you do not have to sign up. My husband needs to be in a city about 30 minutes from Cape Liberty ASAP on the Thursday we get back. I understand that we need to take our luggage on our own. I think the RCI term for this is self assist. Do we need to request? We are staying in an E2 cabin. I asked on my roll call but no response yet.

No need to request. Just don't put your luggage out and leave at the appointed self-assist time. Meeting place will be in your compass. We've done this a few times and found it to be the easiest way to disembark.

Happy cruising!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, you need to get a "ticket" to self-depart. They are only supposed to allow a certain number of people do this. In Feb, I was able to get early departure but when my kids (adults) tried, they were told that they were out of spots for self assist and had to wait until the number they got in their staterooms.

In June, the self assist departure seemed to take a long time. The line seemed endless as I watched them.

There are often no lines at the Guest Services desk.

Yes, you need to get a "ticket" to self-depart. They are only supposed to allow a certain number of people do this. In Feb, I was able to get early departure but when my kids (adults) tried, they were told that they were out of spots for self assist and had to wait until the number they got in their staterooms.

In June, the self assist departure seemed to take a long time. The line seemed endless as I watched them.

There are often no lines at the Guest Services desk.

That's what is great about these boards. You learn something new all the time. We have never gotten any tickets to self depart. I guess we just got lucky. I apologize for giving incorrect info!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On my last 3 cruises there were items in the Compass saying to sign up for self-assist at Guest Relations. I was not able to last time because my husband was not with me, but we did self-assist on the Grandeur and Explorer (Dec 13, Feb 14) and had to notify them at the desk. In both cases, we were given specific sheets with instructions, a small paper saying how many of us there were departing and our cabin number was taken. Consequently, we did not receive luggage tags in our cabin.

As my friend and I were waiting in June, a couple with number 15 tags on their luggage tried to get in the line for self assist but were told that they had to wait until the number 15 was called since they had not signed up for self assist and they were over number of the amount of people allowed.

I don't know how it is handled on other ships.

On Explorer 7/26. Thank you for the responses. Thinking we should head to Guest Services. This is a work issue for him and he needs to be there as early as possible. We are parking at the port. If we wait in line 30 minutes for GS but can depart at least 30 minutes earlier guess it should be considered a wash. If anyone has recently sailed EOS, can you tell me what deck you disembarked from.

On Explorer 7/26. Thank you for the responses. Thinking we should head to Guest Services. This is a work issue for him and he needs to be there as early as possible. We are parking at the port. If we wait in line 30 minutes for GS but can depart at least 30 minutes earlier guess it should be considered a wash. If anyone has recently sailed EOS, can you tell me what deck you disembarked from.

If you visit GS early in the morning there usually is no line

Edit You can also ask this question over on the roll call for one of the recent Explorer sailings. Maybe they can help you.

Edited by molly361

As my friend and I were waiting in June, a couple with number 15 tags on their luggage tried to get in the line for self assist but were told that they had to wait until the number 15 was called since they had not signed up for self assist and they were over number of the amount of people allowed.

I don't know how it is handled on other ships.

So don't put any tags on.

Do not want to waste time waiting in line if you do not have to sign up.

I see you already have contradicting replies. That happens on this board when people assume the way something happens on their cruise is the way it happens on all cruises. :rolleyes:

My own personal experience with this was on Majesty and we didn't tell them and went at the appointed time. But I do remember the CD on his morning show say it was ok to do so. But as one person said, they may have to limit the number of people doing so especially on larger ships.

I decided to highlight the above portion of your post as we don't know what port/ship your on. With regard to guest services there are not always long lines. When you first board, and the last day before the cruise ends are frequent long lines. Chances are you will at least once walk by Guest Services and see little or no line. If I were in your situation I would walk up and ask during one of these times. Its a routine question and they are prepared to answer quickly.

I am looking at the departure flyer from July 12 Ex.

You did not have to sign up for self-assist departure. You departure waiting area goes by deck. For ex: decks 2,3 wait in Conference center on deck 2. deck 6 waits in Maharajas Lounge, 7,8 in Da Gama level 4, and decks 9,10 in Columbus level 5.

Starts at 8:30am, scheduled until 9:30am.