Tipping in bars/lounges

viajante74

I know for a fact that the bar staff do not receive 15% tip when you use your beverage card. The beverage cards are sold by Holland America and the staff has to pool a lesser tip. However, that's between the cruiseline and the staff.

A bartender on our last cruise made sure to let us know his displeasure with this system and tried to bully more money out of us, but that is such a turnoff.

Seriously, most the time I ask for a beer and they have to take the top off. Hardly worth his belly aching about how he deserves more money. :eek:

We have found if you frequent the same bar and are friendly and polite, the bartenders may do a generous pour. We always tip our bartenders above and beyond. Hal bartenders always remember what you drink and your name, it is amazing.

Have a wonderful cruise.

I am going to ask a foolish question, at least some might think so? What is it that a beverage server can or will do that is over and above their job to take your order and then you bring the drink to you that require you or at least you think it does, to give an a further tip over the 15%? I might be missing something in the realizing service we get on our cruises that is very good, but I don't see as over and above what I think they are doing.

I think 15 per cent is adequate for someone to mix and hand me a drink or to pour a glass of wine. Some cruise lines are even charging 18 per cent.

Cruise ships are also passing on VAT in Europe, even when you are out to sea. This adds another 20 some per cent to the cost of a drink.

Edited by sammiedawg