Tipping in bars/lounges

viajante74

Apologies in advance, as I know there must be a gazillion threads already on this subject, but as a first time cruiser who will be sailing on the Eurodam next month, how does tipping work for bartenders? Do most people pay tips in cash each time they visit, or do they just pay a little extra at the end of the cruise?

There will be a 15% service charge on drinks in bars and diningroom, it will all be charged on your final bill. In case you want to tip extra you can do it at the end of the cruise.

Thanks for the reply! So the 15% service charge won't be deducted from the beverage card, but will be added to the on-board account? Or more likely, I suppose upon the purchase of a beverage card for whatever amount, the 15% is added on?

Edited by viajante74

Thanks for the reply! So the 15% service charge won't be deducted from the beverage card, but will be added to the on-board account. Correct?

No that is incorrect.. The price of your drink plus the 15% service charge will be deducted from your beverage card when you use it..

If you have the same bartender or waiter over & over, & have established a relationship, you may wish to give

them a little extra,... You can give the extra in cash either at time of service or at the end of your cruise..

Edited by serendipity1499

Assuming we have had good service and like the bartender who served us regularly, we just about always have an envelope and note of thanks for him the last night of the cruise. We like to give something additional to the automatic tip to show our appreciation and thanks.

Why, when you are already paying a 15% tip?

Some people wish to tip more than 15%. It is very common amongst people who are in the service industry or who used to be in the service industry. That is their choice.

With all the different bars on the ship, I normally tip a bit extra at the time of service, IF they provided good service.

DaveOKC

Why, when you are already paying a 15% tip?

We're with Dave on this, and tip as we go. If I waited until the end of the cruise and had to try to find every beverage department staff member who gave me good service, it would be exhausting. ;) If we have servers whom we counted on frequently, we do sometimes supplement the tip-as-you-go amount on the last night.

As for the "why," we typically tip more than 15% at home. You certainly don't have to and you are probably in the majority based on my observations.

I am going to ask a foolish question, at least some might think so? What is it that a beverage server can or will do that is over and above their job to take your order and then you bring the drink to you that require you or at least you think it does, to give an a further tip over the 15%? I might be missing something in the realizing service we get on our cruises that is very good, but I don't see as over and above what I think they are doing.

Edited by boards

Most restaurants in U.S. and Canada do not add tip so most of us from these countries consider it necessary to tip. There are times when a large group is seated, they are advised a tip will automatically be added to their bill. If they wish to tip more, that is their choice.

I am going to ask a foolish question? What is it that a beverage server can or will do that is over and above their job to take your order and then you bring the drink to you that require you or at least you think it does, to give an a further tip over the 15%? I might be missing something in the realizing service we get on our cruises that is very good, but I don't see as over and above what I think they are doing.

I am mostly a wine drinker. There have been times when the wine I like that is usually available at HAL bars was not there. The bartender went around the ship from bar to bar until he found a bottle to bring back for me to enjoy. I appreciate that effort.

If they have the time when the bar is not too busy, we enjoy when they share a chat with us, tell a joke, remember us from previous cruises..... in general, be that much more 'present' and available to see that we have what we need and want. A friendly demeanor by servers goes a long way in creating a pleasant mood/atmosphere for a couple to enjoy their cocktails. Sure beats a scowling, unpleasant perfunctory functionary. :D

I am going to ask a foolish question, at least some might think so? What is it that a beverage server can or will do that is over and above their job to take your order and then you bring the drink to you that require you or at least you think it does, to give an a further tip over the 15%? I might be missing something in the realizing service we get on our cruises that is very good, but I don't see as over and above what I think they are doing.

Perhaps they are hoping for a larger pour or to be served before others?:cool:

It's not foolish at all. There is a service charge included. If you want to tip extra, you may. If not, you don't have to because you have already paid the service charge.

I worked as a waiter in college, and tips made a big difference in my take home pay. It's a few decades later, but I like to return the favor.

I am mostly a wine drinker. There have been times when the wine I like that is usually available at HAL bars was not there. The bartender went around the ship from bar to bar until he found a bottle to bring back for me to enjoy. I appreciate that effort.

If they have the time when the bar is not too busy, we enjoy when they share a chat with us, tell a joke, remember us from previous cruises..... in general, be that much more 'present' and available to see that we have what we need and want. A friendly demeanor by servers goes a long way in creating a pleasant mood/atmosphere for a couple to enjoy their cocktails. Sure beats a scowling, unpleasant perfunctory functionary. :D

Your first paragraph I can understand why you might tip, the second paragraph that is what I am already paying 15% for.

Your first paragraph I can understand why you might tip, the second paragraph that is what I am already paying 15% for.

Being pleasant, sharing a conversation and sometimes offering suggestions about the ship and/or ports is well worth an small extra tip IMO. If all they do is the bare minimum, then no extra tip.

DaveOKC

Edited by DaveOKC

Thinking about the comments thus far on this topic, a thought struck me. Those of you who do not feel that you should ever add an extra tip for any service (including bars) are reaping the benefits of superior service without paying for it.

What I mean is, if no one ever tipped extra, I am certain that human nature being what it is, the level of service would end up being much inferior to what it is today. Everyone likes to be recognized for a job well done, and extra tipping is a way to express that. Makes it more likely that the person will continue to do a better job in the future I believe.

Don't believe me? Just go to a country where tips are included on your bill and in most (not all to be sure), the service you receive will not be as good.

Just my thought for today!

DaveOKC

Thinking about the comments thus far on this topic, a thought struck me. Those of you who do not feel that you should ever add an extra tip for any service (including bars) are reaping the benefits of superior service without paying for it.

What I mean is, if no one ever tipped extra, I am certain that human nature being what it is, the level of service would end up being much inferior to what it is today. Everyone likes to be recognized for a job well done, and extra tipping is a way to express that. Makes it more likely that the person will continue to do a better job in the future I believe.

Don't believe me? Just go to a country where tips are included on your bill and in most (not all to be sure), the service you receive will not be as good.

Just my thought for today!

DaveOKC

That's too much of a generalisation, Dave. I come from a country where tips are included, and you get good service and bad service in exactly the same ratio as in N. America, where tips are added.