Tipping in bars/lounges

viajante74

I think your math is wrong - it is 27.5% not 22.5. And while this is a large tip (as you state), it is hard to leave the bartender loose change (40 cents would end up as 20% total).

DaveOKC

My greatest cruising dlemma has been, and is, offering an additional gratuity to a bartender or lounge/deck steward for their service.

On land, I offer a 20% gratuity unless the service is not satisfactory. I feel that I should do the same for the hard working cruise ship employees.

I have ranged from offering no additional tip, to offering a few coins, to the $1/drink. Rarely do I see a difference in service, although some bartenders who have served me have provided very generous drinks when they have received a gratuity. (Interestingly, on the Eurodam last Summer, I put a $1 bill on bar counter's edge: it was ignored by the trio of bartenders. I removed it when I left my seat.)

I am now thinking: obtain a roll of half dollars and use them on my next cruise: $0.50/serving. Not wild about carrying around a few large coins. But, it is a method I have not tried and it would get me closer to my desired 20% gratuity without being as excessive as a $1/drink is.

There is a gratuity included. We have never tipped for beverages on the ship and we always receive good service. IMO added tipping should not be allowed.

I quite agree, but the tales of bigger drinks for tippers shows the power of money to corrupt.

I quite agree, but the tales of bigger drinks for tippers shows the power of money to corrupt.

Yep...you're right...Corruption...You should see the pour I get form my can of coke. My can is always twice as large as everyone else's can.

Hi

I live in Mass the wait staff get 2.64 he. that is inaulting O always leave 20 0/0.. On cruise ship. I usuakky go to crows nest for hapy hr at 4 and 11. I am always greated with Hi Ms Mary and a smile this starts on 2nd night of cruise..

I will tip extra. Amsterdam 24 days to Alaska.

On my cruise I spent all my time in Ocean bar the service was great and staff outstanding. I saw a wine steward and asked him did he know what the menu was for dinner that night. He said he did not. Less than 5 minutes later I had a menu. that staaff was great. one night they had a black and white ball. (I think that is what is was called. I fell asleep up in crows nest. (late seating) I wroke up to the band setting up in front of me So I moved. As I was a solo I had no one to dance with. There were lots of officers there and the beverage manager who was always in the Ocean bar asked me to dance. I felt like a teenage again being asked for her first dance. (Zuirderdam) Panama Canal

I think all the servers deserved a tip

I did not notice on my last cruise when I tip extra to the bar staff those at bar just put the cash on the bar the staff walking around helt it and walked to bar and put it down. I am not weathly by any means and live on a small pension and ss. But is someone is nice to me they get my attention. It can be a smill or just hi Mary or even have my drink ready before i Find a seat

Hi

I live in Mass the wait staff get 2.64 he. that is inaulting O always leave 20 0/0.. On cruise ship. I usuakky go to crows nest for hapy hr at 4 and 11. I am always greated with Hi Ms Mary and a smile this starts on 2nd night of cruise..

I will tip extra. Amsterdam 24 days to Alaska.

On my cruise I spent all my time in Ocean bar the service was great and staff outstanding. I saw a wine steward and asked him did he know what the menu was for dinner that night. He said he did not. Less than 5 minutes later I had a menu. that staaff was great. one night they had a black and white ball. (I think that is what is was called. I fell asleep up in crows nest. (late seating) I wroke up to the band setting up in front of me So I moved. As I was a solo I had no one to dance with. There were lots of officers there and the beverage manager who was always in the Ocean bar asked me to dance. I felt like a teenage again being asked for her first dance. (Zuirderdam) Panama Canal

I think all the servers deserved a tip

I did not notice on my last cruise when I tip extra to the bar staff those at bar just put the cash on the bar the staff walking around helt it and walked to bar and put it down. I am not weathly by any means and live on a small pension and ss. But is someone is nice to me they get my attention. It can be a smill or just hi Mary or even have my drink ready before i Find a seat

That's a good story. Thanks for sharing it!

Why do people who choose not to tip extra always try to tell everyone else not to tip extra? If you're secure in your decision, what the rest of us do should be none of your business.

You leave a bribe with the intent of getting better service than others. That can reduce the level of service to those of us who do not tip when a 15% gratuity has already been added. Fortunately most HAL beverage servers provide very good service to everyone.

It is different if you leave the extra at the end of a cruise. I wouldn't consider that a bribe.

Edited by Jemima
typo

Since the 15 percent service charge is automatically added to each drink, a gratuity has already been paid.

If you would like to add more to that amount, that is fine. I am sure that it will be appreciated by the waitstaff.

However, one shouldn't feel obligated or pressured to add to the 15 percent service charge ( gratuity ) by the waitstaff or those on this forum. It is strictly YOUR choice.

soccer

One should not be discouraged from adding an extra thank you if that is what they wish to do.

It is up to each of us to tip additional or not and not for any of us to tell others what they should do. :)

One should not be discouraged from adding an extra thank you if that is what they wish to do.

It is up to each of us to tip additional or not and not for any of us to tell others what they should do. :)

Thank you. :)

There is a gratuity included. We have never tipped for beverages on the ship and we always receive good service. IMO added tipping should not be allowed.

I can't believe that anyone would have the audacity to decide what I should do..:( It's really no ones business if I tip extra or not, & it's not my business if someone decides not to tip extra! [ /SIZE]

Why do people who choose not to tip extra always try to tell everyone else not to tip extra? If you're secure in your decision, what the rest of us do should be none of your business.

That's exactly my point! I live in a free country & if I want to give a gift to someone that is my business only!

It does affect others if your added tip results in prompter service, more generous drinks, or other extras. We don't usually go to lounges at happy hour; but, if we do, our order is sometimes slower than some others and they are sometimes offered appetizers or nuts while we aren't. Bringing 2 cans of diet coke and ice shouldn't take much time. I wasn't aware that this many people were tipping additional. That may be why our service is sometimes slower than others. So your added tipping may negatively impact others.

I like to tip extra when a particular person gives me good service. However, I do not do this on Holland America (or RCCL either, for that matter) since the person I give the extra to does not get to keep it but rather has to share it with other people.

"I did not notice on my last cruise when I tip extra to the bar staff those at bar just put the cash on the bar the staff walking around helt it and walked to bar and put it down."

Therefore, rewarding good service from a particular individual on HAL is pointless

I like to tip extra when a particular person gives me good service. However, I do not do this on Holland America (or RCCL either, for that matter) since the person I give the extra to does not get to keep it but rather has to share it with other people.

"I did not notice on my last cruise when I tip extra to the bar staff those at bar just put the cash on the bar the staff walking around helt it and walked to bar and put it down."

Therefore, rewarding good service from a particular individual on HAL is pointless

I really do not agree with you on this. Even if they do "pool", rest assured that the crew knows who tipped extra and who got the tip.

DaveOKC

Edited by DaveOKC

If they "pool" the tips, you are not rewarding individual service.

Ah, but "you" are, in that case. What your server does with his tip after you have passed it to him is out of your control, and not really your business.

Ah, but "you" miss the point.

If I (and I assume the same is true for everyone) give an additional tip to somebody, it is because I want to reward that person for the outstanding service they have provided me.

You are correct, if they then want to redistribute the reward amongst their colleagues, that is their business. However, I am fairly certain that they don't do that by choice but rather by policy and the person who provided the excellent service gets only a small fraction. I have no desire to tip a bunch of people who have done nothing for me.

Then don't leave any additional tip. But then your steward doesn't even get a piece of the action. If everyone does that, there's no action at all for anyone to get a piece of.

Somehow I think that if sharing is going on, it all sorts of balances out in the long run. If the stewards didn't like the system, they would have their union speaking up about it.

The last few years when we asked Pinnacle Grill breakfast and lunch staff they said they pool their tips. I love it because when 4 different staff hover over me with juice, Danish, coffee, take my order, deliver my order . . . I don't have to worry about who should get a tip.

I could ask why do those who tip extra feel it necessary to toot their horns?

This is a valid discussion of the customary tipping practices. It is not for you to judge others, and nobody is telling you not to tip extra.

igraf

I could ask why do those who tip extra feel it necessary to toot their horns?

This is a valid discussion of the customary tipping practices. It is not for you to judge others, and nobody is telling you not to tip extra.

igraf

I would read the entire thread. There are a few!