10:30 AM flight home / Port Everglades to FLL

Can you please clarify what it is about Oasis/Allure that makes that flight time possible? Is it their early arrival? Efficiency of the terminal? Just curious, as I know very little about ship arrivals, the workings of terminals, etc.

I actually do have a 10:30am flight booked out of FLL after an Oasis cruise, so I am happy to see that we should be ok with that time. :)

Thank you

Oasis and Allure typically arrive at 5am or so. Also, the terminal was built to handle 6000 passengers. Guests are usually getting off by 6am.

Can you please clarify what it is about Oasis/Allure that makes that flight time possible? Is it their early arrival? Efficiency of the terminal? Just curious, as I know very little about ship arrivals, the workings of terminals, etc.

I actually do have a 10:30am flight booked out of FLL after an Oasis cruise, so I am happy to see that we should be ok with that time. :)

Thank you

We had a 9:30am flight last week, and after resolving a double-billing issue with the photo people, we walked off at 645, no crowds, plenty of customs lanes open, plenty of cabs waiting. We were at the airport before 730, with almost no security line as well.

If you really want to be first off, just go down around 6am and wait on deck 5 which is where the gangways will be at Port Everglades.

We had a 9:30am flight last week, and after resolving a double-billing issue with the photo people, we walked off at 645, no crowds, plenty of customs lanes open, plenty of cabs waiting. We were at the airport before 730, with almost no security line as well.

If you really want to be first off, just go down around 6am and wait on deck 5 which is where the gangways will be at Port Everglades.

Wow that's terrific! We can't walk off with our bags though- in our party of 7 there is an 18 month old and two people with a few mobility issues. It would be too much for the able-bodied people to carry. But am I right in saying we can contact GS and arrange an early disembarkation?

Wow that's terrific! We can't walk off with our bags though- in our party of 7 there is an 18 month old and two people with a few mobility issues. It would be too much for the able-bodied people to carry. But am I right in saying we can contact GS and arrange an early disembarkation?

If the earliest schedule-able time is 730, you should be good to go as well. I would request wheelchair assistance with mobility issues so they don't feel rushed to move quickly but rather someone could push them (but not too fast, as those ramps do go downhill!)

You can check onboard with what is offered and what time, and make arrangements then. Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...

OP here :D

Just giving an update on my original post.

I decided to take a chance and keep the original 10:30 flite out of FLL from Port Everglades. I'm so glad I did! I made it with plenty of time to spare. It was supposed to be a 7:15 am express luggage carry-off, but we were delayed for about 20 minutes. I was in the middle of a L-O-N-G line of early walk-offs, but still I was able to breeze thru immigration and quickly grab a cab to the airport and was waiting at my gate by 8:30. No lines at Southwest's check-in on a Thursday morning. I was back home in Chicago before 1 pm.

Edited by muladybug

10:30 is fine. Ya, the ship could be late getting in, you could be in an accident or get 4 flat tires on the way to the airport. There could be locusts between the pier and the airport. What if a hurricane strikes south Florida and the ship can't dock. I bet 95% of the time everything will go as planned. Nothing is 100% guaranteed. If your returning August 14th, I'll be on that flight to MDW.

Aft Cabins Rule

still laughing out loud! i love it!

i had originally booked an 11 am flight and took the advice to rebook to a later flight with the possibility that 'something' could happen... it ended up being a great move to the later flight---on a funny note -- i self dissembarked and was off the ship and at FLL at 8:15 am ... wow! i could have made the 11 am flight. but after all that planning to change to the later flight, i ended up renting a car at FLL and drove to the FLL beach for the rest of the day...very lovely. i had time to shower and return my rental car and eat -- got to the gate at 7pm and waited to depart back home. i highly recommend taking the later flight so you can extend your vaca for another 'day' on the beach :) loved it!

OP here :D

Just giving an update on my original post.

I decided to take a chance and keep the original 10:30 flite out of FLL from Port Everglades. I'm so glad I did! I made it with plenty of time to spare. It was supposed to be a 7:15 am express luggage carry-off, but we were delayed for about 20 minutes. I was in the middle of a L-O-N-G line of early walk-offs, but still I was able to breeze thru immigration and quickly grab a cab to the airport and was waiting at my gate by 8:30. No lines at Southwest's check-in on a Thursday morning. I was back home in Chicago before 1 pm.

Glad to hear back from you. I will be getting off Vision on Oct 23 also a Thursday and have a 10:45 flight. Hoping I have the good fortune you had.

Glad to hear back from you. I will be getting off Vision on Oct 23 also a Thursday and have a 10:45 flight. Hoping I have the good fortune you had.

If you are the slightest bit worried, get to the Centrum early to be one of the first in line. I was very surprised how many walk-offs had lined up in the short time it took for me to get a cappuccino and return to get in line. They had seating available for the early birds to wait it out. Once off the ship, immigration was fast, short cab ride to airport, airport was not crowded at all. From my experience, even with the disembarking delay it still left me with plenty of time to spare.

Edited by muladybug

Can someone tell me the current price for a taxi (4 adults) from Port Everglades to FLL?

It depends on the pier. I was told $15 to $25. We were docked at the further pier and it was about $21 (surly driver and no AC in the van :mad:).

On our taxi's window it stated that there is no additional charge for extra passengers or baggage.

I am having second thoughts on booking a 10:30 flight home, arriving on a Thursday on the Vision. As close as the airport is, would there be morning rush hour traffic to deal with, and by what time would I have to arrive at the airport?

I am wondering if I should change to a later flight. Would I have to rush to make the 10:30?

I am aware that RCCL recommends a later flight and I do know that stuff happens.

You are on vacation, why worry about an early flight. Book a later flight and enjoy yourself.

Thank you

Read this active thread, 6:45 and Allure hadn't even docked yet>

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2101313