Dressing for balcony on Grand Princess/Alaska

metsmom

Leaving in 23 days(Can't wait!) on Grand Princess for inside passage cruise to Alaska and just wondering if any of you experienced travelers could tell me what I might expect as far as how cold it is on the balconies on mini-suites at night. I am starting to put some clothes away to pack and have very light lounging pajamas and my heavy fleece ones I wear in the winter but wonder if I'll need to pack both? I know about dressing in layers off the ship but don't know how the temps are on the decks and or the cabins for that matter. Any input would be helpful! Thanks!:)

Leaving in 23 days(Can't wait!) on Grand Princess for inside passage cruise to Alaska and just wondering if any of you experienced travelers could tell me what I might expect as far as how cold it is on the balconies on mini-suites at night. I am starting to put some clothes away to pack and have very light lounging pajamas and my heavy fleece ones I wear in the winter but wonder if I'll need to pack both? I know about dressing in layers off the ship but don't know how the temps are on the decks and or the cabins for that matter. Any input would be helpful! Thanks!:)

We have been to Alaska many times on Princess and we always get a balcony.

We pack ski hats, gloves, jackets etc. There was one cruise in very early June 2009 on the Golden and we had consistant 65-75 temps. This was not the norm. We sit out on the balcony for hours and hours. It snowed in Glacier Bay at the end of July and we needed every bit of clothing.

Be prepared, the weather can change within minutes.

Layers layers layers. :)

Take binoculars!

Edited by Colo Cruiser

That will be interesting, pajamas with a coat and hat on!:p Guess I should leave the light short sleeve pajamas home unless the room is warm! :rolleyes: Thanks!

Edited by metsmom

The best thing we ever brought to Alaska is a two piece jacket. The outer shell is a sturdy waterproof windbreaker. The second layer is a soft, cozy fleece jacket. Pieces can be worn together or independently depending on the weather...warm, cold, wet, whatever. We got ours at LL Bean. I wore this constantly...even over my PJs on the balcony.

When we have cruised to Alaska we have had every kind of weather. We have actually worn shorts and Tshirts a number of times. Then again I have a picture of me with a flannel jacket on and I'm also wrapped in a blanket on our balcony.

If you are on the Dolphin deck, your balcony will not be covered. Take that into consideration as well.

We had a balcony on our first trip through, our friends a mini on Dolphin. We ended up on our small balcony because of the cover as it rained a very cold rain when we went into Glacier Bay.

So if not waterproof rain gear, a large golf umbrella might be helpful.

Enjoy your cruise!

It can be very cold at night depending on where you are sailing at that point in time and whether it is light out or not.

The key is to layer but you will likely need various layers of clothes to keep you warm.

Keith

OK. So you said you're aware of the "dress-in-layers" and being prepared for changes in the weather.

So, I'm correct in assuming that you'll have clothes in your cabin? A couple steps away from the balcony?

How hard would it be to open the door, guage the temperature and wind, step back in an put on whatever is appropriate?

OK. So you said you're aware of the "dress-in-layers" and being prepared for changes in the weather.

So, I'm correct in assuming that you'll have clothes in your cabin? A couple steps away from the balcony?

How hard would it be to open the door, guage the temperature and wind, step back in an put on whatever is appropriate?

lol... I was thinking this exact same thing.... well said

lol... I was thinking this exact same thing.... well said

Where I come from kind, helpful people might think that but would never say it for fear of embarrassing someone or hurting someone's feelings. I think some people on Cruise Critic are hateful. No wonder new people are hesitant to ask questions or state opinions. That being said, thanks to all who remember their manners and truly try to be helpful.

In June, 2010, it was cold in Glacier Bay and colder in College Fiord, since we were close to our room or either on our balcony we could keep layering up. We had pleasant weather in Juneau and Ketchikan, in Skagway we took the rail tour, riding the bus up and the train back through Bennett Lake for lunch. It was so cold there at the lake after lunch we went back to the train, even though we had free time there to look around. We got off the ship without gloves or hats, or scarfs. I will never forget to tuck them in my backpack again, they weigh nothing and take up no room.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Where I come from kind, helpful people might think that but would never say it for fear of embarrassing someone or hurting someone's feelings. I think some people on Cruise Critic are hateful. No wonder new people are hesitant to ask questions or state opinions. That being said, thanks to all who remember their manners and truly try to be helpful.

my thoughts exactly.

100166593.jpg

Here you go. We also wore shorts and tee shirts on this cruise. It was in June out of San Francisco a couple of years ago.

Cheers, Denise.

Denise, this is the perfect answer to the OP's question, and it's prompted me to start my packing list for our 7-DAY roundtrip at the end of August. The first thing on the list is now "blanket for balcony" :)

Your photo also reminded me that no matter where you are, weather is unpredictable. Here's me in Cuba, April of last year:

1004648_10151520865226010_154354822_n.jpg

I'm glad this thread was started, as I was wondering the same thing as the OP, but was afraid to ask. Many thanks to the kind CC members who showed up with polite responses.

Michele

As others have said, layering is the key. That way you can add to or take from what you have on, according to the conditions. We love being on our balcony too, but it can get very cold out there.

Sporting goods stores usually have hand warmers you can buy and once they are opened, each one will last about 8 hours. They work great for glacier viewing where it is the coldest.

I looooooooove those pink socks! So cute!

We found it pretty cool on the balcony every day after we left Vancouver. We wore summer clothes around the ship and in the cabin. When we went out on the balcony in the evenings though, we were dressed pretty much like Denise (although our socks weren't that cute).

We also bundled up for glacier viewing but when we were in Juneau we regretted not wearing shorts ashore. We found it hot but we saw others wearing parkas. So be prepared for everything. :)

Denise, this is the perfect answer to the OP's question, and it's prompted me to start my packing list for our 7-DAY roundtrip at the end of August. The first thing on the list is now "blanket for balcony" :)

Your photo also reminded me that no matter where you are, weather is unpredictable. Here's me in Cuba, April of last year:

1004648_10151520865226010_154354822_n.jpg

I'm glad this thread was started, as I was wondering the same thing as the OP, but was afraid to ask. Many thanks to the kind CC members who showed up with polite responses.

Michele

Michelle, I have been told you can request a blanket for the balcony from your room steward and also that there is somewhere on deck that you can check blankets out for the loungers on deck.

Michelle, I have been told you can request a blanket for the balcony from your room steward and also that there is somewhere on deck that you can check blankets out for the loungers on deck.

Thanks for the tip, that's good to know.

Michele

Thank you to all you answered my question with polite responses and not sarcasm (you know who you are!). If you read my post you would have understood that I am trying to decide how much to pack(we have limited luggage space) and this is our first trip to Alaska so I was curious to know if I should even bother to bring any lightweight loungewear if it is cold on the balconies. I thought it was a reasonable question and again thank you to those of you who gave me helpful answers! ;)

Enjoy your trip . Your probably already packed . We took goose down jackets that are very light weight and don't take up any space . Web had thermals from merino wool so they breath (sp) we also packed shorts and tee shirts and used all of the above. In Vancouver we bought those animal hats with the mittens attached . They were great near the glacier and allowed us to sat outside for over an hour until the turned the ship around. You will love Alaska . A great place to visit. Layers are the key . But choose the layers wisely. They don't have to also be bulky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk