I guess I'm just an optimist! With a couple of questions.

I recently booked an 11 day western med. cruise on the Jade. We cruise in Feb. I am incredibly excited!! I know it will be cooler, but I hate high temps. Sweating is not my idea of a good time. I also know the ports will be less crowded. Yay, shorter lines!!

I have been scrolling the NCL boards for tips on the Jade and on NCL. It has done wonders to help me decide on where I want to spend extra money. No UBP, I love a good drink, but most of the wines I see on the list that I like are not included. I also do not want to feel like I have to drink "more" just to make it worth it. This board introduced me to the Vino package. I plan on doing that.

I am not a picky eater, but I think I will do the UDP. I do prefer to be served rather than go to a buffet. YES, I know that I can be served in the MDR, but I also like the looks of the specialty menus. Plus this cruise is a splurge, so why not?

This is my second cruise. The last one was a 4 day Bahamas trip on RCL. We had a tiny room with a port hole for three of us. One being a baby that had more luggage than me! We had an amazing time and loved every minute of it. Even the chocolate midnight buffet, but this was 14 years ago!

This cruise we booked a Haven family suite. I booked this before coming to the CC boards, and I have to honestly say, my main reason for booking the Haven, was the pool. My 12 year old daughter is a water nymph. I love the idea of being able to walk out of our room and into the Haven, so that she can swim around a bit without having to worry about rain or cold air temps. Now that I have read through the boards, I am even more excited about the extra little perks that will make this trip so much more enjoyable.

I am now researching all of our port stops, and making notes on the ones we have not traveled to before. These board are making my life easy!! I must admit, since I am an expat living in Europe, I don't have the anxiety that I have picked up on from some of the new cruisers. To any of you reading this post. Relax, and enjoy the differences. Isn't that what traveling is all about!!

I just want to say thank you to all of the wonderful positive people here on CC. I now know what to expect, and am even more excited than ever!!

To all those that love to complain! You can't get us optimists down!!

Now a questions for you experts! Is there a 220 plug in the master bath? I know the rooms come with hairdryers, but I have curly hair and use a diffuser. This is my one travel must have!

The only place I plan on booking a tour is Naples. I want to drive the coast, but there is no way I am driving a rental car in Naples! :eek: I would appreciate feedback on NCL tours and private tour companies.

Again, thank you so much! I look forward to hearing from you. :D

Hi! It's probably easier to get replies if you don't write too much text and let your questions be clearly visible. Here's my attempt at answering.

From FAQ:

http://www.ncl.co.uk/helpful-information/faqs/

Will my electrical appliances work on board?

Both 110 volts and 220 volts AC sockets are provided, but you will need an adaptor for British appliances. Hairdryers are provided in all staterooms & suites.

====

For tours in Naples I think it wpould be better to post in the "ports of call" section (for Italy specifically) since it's not only limited to NCL (apart from their own tours):

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

Hi! It's probably easier to get replies if you don't write too much text and let your questions be clearly visible. Here's my attempt at answering.

From FAQ:

http://www.ncl.co.uk/helpful-information/faqs/

Will my electrical appliances work on board?

Both 110 volts and 220 volts AC sockets are provided, but you will need an adaptor for British appliances. Hairdryers are provided in all staterooms & suites.

====

For tours in Naples I think it wpould be better to post in the "ports of call" section (for Italy specifically) since it's not only limited to NCL (apart from their own tours):

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

Thank you for the info, and the critique! The main purpose of my post was to say thank you to all of the wonderful positive people here on CC that try to give as much information as possible without being downers.

The questions were secondary and not of immediate importance to me. I do have a while before I cruise. As stated, I know that hairdryers are provided, but unless they come with diffusers they are of no use to me. As to the Naples tour question, I just thought I would ask here also. No harm in trying to gather info from as many sources as possible.

In Naples we had a wonderful tour company. Rome in Limos. Small 8 seat Mercedes van. Wonderful guide. Took us along the coast UP the hills. Had a fantastic lunch which was very reasonable. Then back down. We went to Pompeii where we had the option to explore on our own or hire a national geographic guide, which we did and she was great. Then off to Sorrento for limoncello and free time. We had Carmine as our driver he was awesome. It was much cheaper than the ship tours and only 8 people. You get a discount if you book other yours with them on you trip too.

Have a great time on your trip I know we did!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Can't really help you with your question - don't use the hair dryer and in Naples we have always toured by train or ferry (one time years and years ago we did do a coastal car trip on a land based vacation and the traffic was horrid!). Did, though, want to say that I love your optimism and enthusiasm! I absolutely LOVE the Jade and have great sailings on her! Enjoy you cruise! 😄😄😄

Robin

I can't help with your specific questions either, but I have to say that it's a real shame that these boards would make you consider that you are an optimist just because you are expecting to enjoy yourself on holiday.

I don't say that as any criticism of you, but an observation of this board.

NCL isn't perfect, but it really isn't too difficult to have a good time on a holiday is it?

Now a questions for you experts! Is there a 220 plug in the master bath? I know the rooms come with hairdryers, but I have curly hair and use a diffuser. This is my one travel must have!

I have curly hair also and used to bring a 'diffuser' attachment. This would fit onto the tip of the hair dryer. After a while....I stopped bringing it since the humidity, etc. just beat my hair up anyway and started just gelling my hair and letting it air dry.

However......I know that there is 110 and 220 sockets by the desk, at least on all the ships I've been on, although I've never been on the Jade. I just don't know if they are also in the bathroom. However, you can always bring an extension cord to use the sockets by the desk if you don't wanna do your hair there and wish to do it in the bathroom!

Have fun.........

Harriet

Harriet

I have been on the Jade in a regular balcony cabin and they did have a decent hair dryer and both 110 and 220 outlets in the regular room. The only outlets I have heard of in the bathrooms themselves have been for razors, and I wonder if this is a safety precaution.

As to the diffuser I have never seen one on any ship but as someone else mentioned they could attach there's to the dryer in the cabin. But what if yours does not fit? If it is important to you and you can fit it in I would recommend you just bring your own from home.

I have been to Naples a couple of times but always DIY. Fellow cruisers I know of have made private arrangements and I only heard the glowing reviews afterwards. Here is a link to the Italy Port of Call boards;

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

You can read up on a variety of different companies and tours that other CC'ers have experienced. Also look at your roll call-- a great place to find others to share in a small private tour.

Have a wonderful time on the Jade. I did that cruise in 2013 and we had a fabulous time.

Rochelle

Edited by rochelle_s

I can't help with your specific questions either, but I have to say that it's a real shame that these boards would make you consider that you are an optimist just because you are expecting to enjoy yourself on holiday.

I don't say that as any criticism of you, but an observation of this board.

NCL isn't perfect, but it really isn't too difficult to have a good time on a holiday is it?

I guess it just boggles my mind how many people find so much to complain about. Then I see threads that ask if people have made a mistake choosing this cruise line. Then I see people leave the board entirely due to a smoking ban or some other ambiguous reson and I can't help but laugh. It is all very dramatic and entertaining, but my purpose in coming to this board was to collect info and learn new things. Reviews are great, but the bashing that goes on because people have different tastes and expectations is very sad.

I have joined our roll call and I look forward to chatting with our future cruise mates.

I appreciate all of the info everyone has shared. Thank you!