MSC Club - still waiting

soloadventurer

It wasn't you who had responded to me on the "Yacht Club" thread - it was Shippy and related to my inability to book a YC3 as there is just the two of us. Here's what MSC sent to my Travel Agent:

Dear all,

Head office have advised it is only open for triple’s.

Hope this clarifies all,

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you require further assistance.

Kind Regards

Call Centre Supervisor

I don't understand this. Why are YC3 staterooms only available to parties of 3 or more in the UK, but here in the states we have the option to book them as a double? Is it because MSC's market share is stronger in the UK so they can afford to put such restrictions on those staterooms? Don't get me wrong,,I'm happy that we are able to book them aboard Divina but also could see why there might be a sense of frustration with UK travelers trying to do the same. Maybe MSC should hire a Public Relations firm to solve a lot of these on-land issues instead of building new ships? They need to get this part fixed first, customer service is paramount.

The Ireland market is so tiny it's practically irrelevant. On the other hand, the US market is so huge MSC are prepared to offer all sorts of inducements to get a foothold there.

Funny thing about that message "from Head Office" stating YC3 cabins are for triple occupancy - they omit this little nugget of info from the website.

The Ireland market is so tiny it's practically irrelevant. On the other hand, the US market is so huge MSC are prepared to offer all sorts of inducements to get a foothold there.

Funny thing about that message "from Head Office" stating YC3 cabins are for triple occupancy - they omit this little nugget of info from the website.

I received a call from my PVC last night asking me if I would like to upgrade our cousins stateroom to a Yacht Club stateroom for $900.00. They are currently booked in a B2 balcony stateroom. I decided to do a mock booking for 3 persons in a YC1 stateroom and the price for our dates came out to just over $4,600.00. If they decide to take the upgrade, they would be paying just a little over half the price of the published fare.

No problem to book a YC3 for two persons here in Norway or through a German online TA. Btw, the YC3 is a wonderful cabin:)

On my cruise in May I was invited up to a YC3 suite for pre-dinner drinks and canapés so, having been in one, I would agree that it is a wonderful cabin.

Having said that, I'm not too pushed about not being able to book it (although it is frustrating to think that they allow double occupancy in some markets). I've sailed in 16003 on Splendida with rough seas and it was very unpleasant being at the front of the ship. I've booked a cabin on the side and as far back as I could get on deck 15 for my upcoming trip in August.

As this thread is about club membership, I feel I should comment on the subject and say, that as someone who hopes to have attained Black on my Mar 2015 sailing, as a fan of the MSC onboard experience, I don't think I'd recommend MSC to anyone due to their erratic customer care service.

Different markets, different marketing and sales campaigns. Other cruiselines and airlines as well operates the same way. Here in Norway or Scandinavia MSC never offer campaign fares for the YC unfortunately. So there you are lucky. But back to the MSC Club, it will be very interesting to see what perks that come with the new membership level which they have announced.

It will be very interesting to see what perks that come with the new membership level which they have announced.

I've been wondering that myself - especially as I'm going all-out for Black.

I knew they were introducing a new level towards the end of this year. I wasn't aware, however, that they had announced the new level. Was it a Press release?

TBH I can't remember how I registered. I'm sure there'll be others along who can help. In the meantime, I'll wrack the oul brain and see if it'll come to me :rolleyes:

I finally reached an MSC Club person by phone today and asked how to access my Club membership information on-line. The agent told me it is not possible. I pointed out that their own website says that there is an "exclusive" Members'-only area where you can access all of your account information. The agent seemed confused when I pointed this out. I confirmed that there is no way to see the information on-line, or even to link my Club number to my existing MSC website registration. She told me that the only way to get the point information is to call them.

Again...as much as I'd like to defend MSC, they REALLY need to get their website in order and build a true customer-service phone capability.

I finally reached an MSC Club person by phone today and asked how to access my Club membership information on-line. The agent told me it is not possible. I pointed out that their own website says that there is an "exclusive" Members'-only area where you can access all of your account information. The agent seemed confused when I pointed this out. I confirmed that there is no way to see the information on-line, or even to link my Club number to my existing MSC website registration. She told me that the only way to get the point information is to call them.

Again...as much as I'd like to defend MSC, they REALLY need to get their website in order and build a true customer-service phone capability.

I've alway been able to see my info by logging in at the top. The only info it gives you is the no of points you have, the colour of the card you have, and how many points you need for the next colour.

I can also see my points and club category when I log in. Maybe the difference is between the UK and US versions?

Wish they'd tell us what the benefits for the new category are going to be and how many points you need. I'm hoping for a 25% discount for the new top tier and hoping that I'll qualify right away! (Sitting on 267 points just now).

I very much suspect that the top tier will be only a slight improvement on current Black and that it and other categories will see the benefits decrease.

We shall see when they eventually get around to it........

Edited by AmoMondo

I very much suspect that the top tier will be only a slight improvement on current Black and that it and other categories will see the benefits decrease

I think you could be right based on how the Black Card level impacted on the lower levels. And just as I was getting so close to Black, too :mad:

I think you could be right based on how the Black Card level impacted on the lower levels. And just as I was getting so close to Black, too :mad:

I hope not,,I should hit silver after our second sailing in August, and hoping to hit Gold by the End of 2015.:(

I hope not,,I should hit silver after our second sailing in August, and hoping to hit Gold by the End of 2015.:(

Sorry to rain on your expectations, but, having been through it, I understand how you feel.

From experience, I've learned to check before each sailing to see what the benefits are at that time. For example, one time I arrived at the embarkation port smugly expecting priority boarding as this had been a benefit of being a club member, only to be told that it was only for Black card holders! It had been removed from the lower levels.

I had also done the online check-in which turned out to be irrelevant! As it turns out, because my father needs assistance when boarding, we get priority treatment, anyway LOL

Sorry to rain on your expectations, but, having been through it, I understand how you feel.

From experience, I've learned to check before each sailing to see what the benefits are at that time. For example, one time I arrived at the embarkation port smugly expecting priority boarding as this had been a benefit of being a club member, only to be told that it was only for Black card holders! It had been removed from the lower levels.

I had also done the online check-in which turned out to be irrelevant! As it turns out, because my father needs assistance when boarding, we get priority treatment, anyway LOL

We normally book Yacht Club so priority boarding isn't an issue for us. The discounts are what entices us. I would hate to see those lowered.

We normally book Yacht Club so priority boarding isn't an issue for us. The discounts are what entices us. I would hate to see those lowered.

Sorry, M, I should have noticed it was you - of course embarkation for YC is different (can't wait for Aug 30 LOL)!!

I was just trying to illustrate that what can be a benefit today may not be tomorrow.

So far MSC haven't changed the % discounts but it's hard to see how they can continue to offer the levels of benefits as more and more members climb the levels.

When Black Card level came out, I was sometimes the only one on Te ship or just a handful of us, so it was dinner with the Captain and a load of officers and they treated you like you were Royalty. A last cruise there were a whole section of us in one of the dining rooms at lunch so we each had at least one officer at our TAble. As numbers expand in each category, it is almost inevitable that perks will decline.

Like Bea, I recall all Club member getting priority boarding, then it was just Gold, now I think just Black. The nest perks remain the discounts on future cruises and the percentages have not changed as far as I can recall.

Sorry, M, I should have noticed it was you - of course embarkation for YC is different (can't wait for Aug 30 LOL)!!

I was just trying to illustrate that what can be a benefit today may not be tomorrow.

So far MSC haven't changed the % discounts but it's hard to see how they can continue to offer the levels of benefits as more and more members climb the levels.

I can see that happening Beam. You see a decrease in perks with all of the mass market lines now. I would assume as MSC creates a larger loyalty base here in the states, either fares will increase or loyalty benefits will decrease. As long as the experience onboard doesn't decrease, I'm ok with anything else, after all, we cruise for the experience, not the freebies.

After all, we cruise for the experience, not the freebies.

So very, very true and I find that MSC prices offer incredible value for money. I would hate to see the quality diluted for the sake of a few extra € or, in your case, $.

So very, very true and I find that MSC prices offer incredible value for money. I would hate to see the quality diluted for the sake of a few extra € or, in your case, $.

Couldn't have said it better myself!!!

Well, I'm still waiting for my member number and we sailed March 22!!! I've e-mailed them several times, the latest about a week ago, and never have heard anything back from them. I even mentioned that we want to book another cruise (true) and are waiting until we get the number, still nothing. I think four months is a bit ridiculous.

Well, I'm still waiting for my member number and we sailed March 22!!! I've e-mailed them several times, the latest about a week ago, and never have heard anything back from them. I even mentioned that we want to book another cruise (true) and are waiting until we get the number, still nothing. I think four months is a bit ridiculous.

Try calling a PVC at MSC. They were able to tell me our membership numbers over the phone and apply the appropriate discount to our future bookings. Still waiting since May for our cards though, and we leave in 3 weeks!!!:eek:

Still waiting since May for our cards though, and we leave in 3 weeks!!!:eek:

You won't need your cards. Your number will be registered in their system and your cruise card will show the membership level you're at.

You won't need your cards. Your number will be registered in their system and your cruise card will show the membership level you're at.

Thanks Beam,,,I wasn't sure if you needed to present your membership card each time you made a purchase onboard.

Thanks Beam,,,I wasn't sure if you needed to present your membership card each time you made a purchase onboard.

There was a time when you did but only in the Logo shop where you get discount. They've since introduced the insertion of the membership level onto the cruise card which does save the hassle of carting two cards around

Edited by Beamafar

There was a time when you did but only in the Logo shop where you get discount. They've since introduced the insertion of the membership level onto the cruise card which does save the hassle of carting two cards around

That's true, but on Opera my cruise card showed the wrong level, so I carried my club card to ensure I got the right discount.