How does pre-existing conditions work for elderly father not traveling?

If you are going on a cruise and an immediate family member has a pre-existing life threatening condition - and you don't have cancel for any reason - it is VERY likely that you won't be covered.

Now, a lot of us have elderly parents. I do, too. There is no indication that my mom is imminently going to die. If there was - I would not be covered, and I know that.

Think about it. No one with elderly parents would EVER be able to get coverage. The best thing you can do is CALL the different insurers and find a plan that works best for you. Good luck!

You're buying with the wrong company if that's their policy. Here's what mine says. Has nothing to do with anyone not traveling with you.

“Pre-Existing Condition” means any injury, sickness or condition of the Insured, Traveling Companion, Family Member booked to travel with the Insured for which medical advice, diagnosis, care or treatment was recommended or received within the 180 day period ending on the Effective Date. Conditions are not considered pre-existing if the condition for which prescribed drugs or medicine is taken remains controlled without any change in the required prescription.

Edited by SeaUs

P.s. I did not have insurance on either trip...

You were fortunate in both instances re costs.

I was fortunate with my TA re scheduling at no cost but you cannot rely or guarantee on getting reimbursed from any travel provider or carrier when you have no insurance coverage for the unlikely event.

Insurance companies do not insure for Likely events more unlikely events and complications from a pre existing of a non travelling family member is a "Likely" event.

I have not tried but i am sure you can insure against it but it would be more expensive just as pre existing is for the traveller and Cancel for any reason is:)

The cruise lines want your business. RCI told me I would loose all my money ..call one! Call two asked for manager explained situation and was told they were very sorry and send copy of death certificate and they refunded in full within 3 werks...we did book another 3 months later with both lines.

You're buying with the wrong company if that's their policy. Here's what mine says. Has nothing to do with anyone not traveling with you.

“Pre-Existing Condition” means any injury, sickness or condition of the Insured, Traveling Companion, Family Member booked to travel with the Insured for which medical advice, diagnosis, care or treatment was recommended or received within the 180 day period ending on the Effective Date. Conditions are not considered pre-existing if the condition for which prescribed drugs or medicine is taken remains controlled without any change in the required prescription.

Have you tested the policy with a pre existing family member not travelling with you?

I only found out about it when I had a claim refused due to a non travelling family member passing away with a pre existing condition. I never even thought about it when buying the policy.

I am not saying all travel insurance policies are this way and you may not necessarily notice in the policy exclusions due to wording but in my advise I would disclose the info to the insurance company. If they are covered then fine if they are not then you will pay an increased premium or not be covered.

Have you tested the policy with a pre existing family member not travelling with you?

I only found out about it when I had a claim refused due to a non travelling family member passing away with a pre existing condition. I never even thought about it when buying the policy.

I am not saying all travel insurance policies are this way and you may not necessarily notice in the policy exclusions due to wording but in my advise I would disclose the info to the insurance company. If they are covered then fine if they are not then you will pay an increased premium or not be covered.

We have had to cancel two major trips; one a tour and river cruise in China, the other a river cruise+ land tour in Europe because of health crisis of our elderly parents.

In both cases, after proper documentation, our trips were refunded in full--and these were long and fairly expensive trips. They both were at least 10 years ago; I have found it more difficult to find policies that cover family members not cruising lately, but have managed to find them; prices have gone up quite a bit. The wording is very difficult to figure out sometimes; the people at insure my trip do a good job of explaining various options.