Price drop and a TA

Bimmie Girl

Unfortunately I think your experience is more common than not. We’ve been through 5 TAs, the first 4 were bad experiences but the 5th was good. The 4th actually cost us more than we would have paid directly through Princess due to mistakes we only discovered upon boarding the ship. What’s bad is that we chose TAs from the Princess website - except for the 5th one.

Something to keep in mind is that people on this website are experienced with booking cruises. When asking questions about TAs, you’re asking a savvy group of people who have done their research and have found TAs through trial and error or recommendation. Therefore on this website, I think you’ll find a greater proportion of people happy with their TAs than you would generally find in the public at large.

Frankly, I’m shocked at how difficult it is to find a decent TA and you’ll find this theme repeated over and over again on these boards as people ask about TAs. If this alone doesn’t convince people that there is something wrong with the present system, I don’t know what will.

With all this said, I finally do feel comfortable that with my current travel company that I’m at least getting a break off the Princess price. Do I think there are others that are probably getting a better price? Likely. But at least I’m not paying the full price. Some day I may find that remarkable TA that some people here on CC have found, until then I’m satisfied paying below the Princess website price, even if it’s not that much below. In your case, it sounds like you’re paying more… this means you don’t have a good TA… run away fast. Unfortunately your next TA probably won’t be any better. Speaking from experience, the 5th try might work.

Our TA alerted us that there was going to be a suite sale. She did not know what the prices would be, but called to ask if a price drop or upgrade was more important. We really wanted to upgrade from an S6 to an S3 and had a price in mind we were willing to pay and we told her our cabin preferences in order. But, if that was not available we would happily take a price drop on the S6.

The morning the sale started I had a new confirmation in my e-mail when I turned on my computer at 8am. The only Category that was on sale was the S6. All other suites were pricing the same as before. She refared the booking, got us the $200 price drop and we were able to keep our OBC.

I never have to worry about price drops. She takes care of them for us. We played the same game last year and we were able to eventually get the upgrade at a good price. I am hopeful she will come through for us again.

Edited by DebJ14

This is so true............right now as it stands, we are not getting anything from our TA that I would not be getting from booking directly through Princess............I am waiting to see what else, if anything, we get from them/TA, by the time we sail. If nothing, then I will be looking to book on my own in the future or finding another TA. I feel I have recieved some great advice on these boards and will use ALL this information to make wiser choices next go round.

With all due respect, I don't see the point of "waiting to see what else, if anything, we get." She's already cheating you by over-charging you and lying to you that the booking is costing her money (that cannot possibly be true). Given her track record, it's unlikely she's going to spring on you a fantastic last-minute price drop/huge onboard credit/magnum of Dom Perignon. I concur with the previous posters who said that since you don't sail until March, you can and should simply cancel this booking (I'd do it even if I had to pay a modest cancellation penalty to the b-, er, agent) and rebook directly with Princess. And while onboard, ask for TA recommendations from your fellow cruisers. Especially those who cruise lots and lots.

With all due respect, I don't see the point of "waiting to see what else, if anything, we get." She's already cheating you by over-charging you and lying to you that the booking is costing her money (that cannot possibly be true). Given her track record, it's unlikely she's going to spring on you a fantastic last-minute price drop/huge onboard credit/magnum of Dom Perignon. I concur with the previous posters who said that since you don't sail until March, you can and should simply cancel this booking (I'd do it even if I had to pay a modest cancellation penalty to the b-, er, agent) and rebook directly with Princess. And while onboard, ask for TA recommendations from your fellow cruisers. Especially those who cruise lots and lots.

LOL true. My feeling is, we won't get much more, but Dom Perignon would be wonderful........I am happy that the price was reduced the full $400 for us and the other couple sailing with us, too.

We are not sailing until Feb. and final payment is not until Nov. I will continue to keep up on price drops and any TA information on this web site. Loved the advice given to me, to check when I am on board as to who other cruisers use to book.