Increasing Amount of Coverage after Purchase? Possible?

I have a situation where I am looking at purchasing comprehensive policy for our upcoming cruise. However, there is a possibility that the ideal room category we are seeking is going to be sold out and we would need to be waitlisted. We purchase insurance (that's primary) and includes trip cancellation/medical evac/etc, and requires us to purchase within a specific time period of when a deposit is placed to have pre-existing conditions included.

The problem is that the room that is most likely going to be available for booking is going to be cheaper than the category that we would like.

My question is whether to obtain the trip insurance for the trip cancellation portion at the higher priced category, and then have the insurance company reduce the amount of coverage if we are unable to get the pricer unit prior to sailing? Is this something that's even possible?

EDIT: I noticed that my title is backwards than what I am asking my thread. I can't seem to edit the title.

Edited by absolutboy20

Ask the insurer but I suspect they will tell you to write the insurance for the higher category and in the event you end up in the less costly cabin, they will refund the difference.

To edit a thread title, double click 'edit', then click 'go advanced' and the subject line will appear. You only have roughly 20 minutes to edit either title or content of post.

Edited by sail7seas

Yes, check with the insurance company, or the insurance broker if you worked with someone like TripInsuranceStore or InsureMyTrip, etc.

Have you purchased the insurance yet?

If not, then *definitely* speak with an insurance broker, who can explain the possible policies from a variety of insurance companies, and help you get the coverage that best matches your needs, including this specific situation.

There are some policies that do allow one to increase the coverage as one pays more (from deposits, to airfare, to final payment, etc.), so that one doesn't need to estimate the total in advance AND one doesn't have to pay insurance for the full amount from the very start.

But not all policies allow that.

And I've heard that some insurers WILL refund the excess if one has already paid for coverage for a trip amount that is more than one ends up with, for example changing cabin categories, or perhaps changing flight arrangements.

However, I've not had direct experience with that.

It makes sense for an insurer to do that, but "what makes sense" isn't always "how businesses work" :(

GeezerCouple

No experience with decreasing coverage, but I have increased coverage twice. It was easy both times, just a phone call.

Read the fine print of the policies you are considering, and if possible e-mail the insurance company and get a written response.