Fixed Dining or Any Time Dining for a Single

rich60

I have always opted for fixed late dining in the past because I do not enjoy dining alone. But I do like the idea of Any Time Dining so that I can eat when I like. As a single, my concern is that I will end up with a table for one which I would not enjoy. How good are the Carnival Maitre Ds at placing a single with a larger table at Any Time Dining.

I spent 34 years eating in Mess Halls an have come to enjoy commom dining!

With Any Time Dining there IS more of a chance you will dine "alone", keeping in mind that your neighbors, for the most part, will be about 8 inches away :D But you also might befriend someone in the same boat and end up dining with them, that happened to me a few cruises ago. I have only cruised solo but choose ATD because of the flexibility.....but I'm usually one of the first ones in line when the dining room opens :)

There are some folks who meet up on the ship and so when they go to dinner they make arrangements to be at the same AnyTime Dining table. There are others who let the maitre d seat them with others but many many folks are like us and choose AnyTime dining because we want to be assured of a table for 2. We want to choose our dining companions and perhaps others feel the same way.

On a large ship there will always be some folks of each sort.

You just tell the maitre d each night what is your dining preference if you want to be seated at a large table or as a solo. If you want to get seated quicker then being assigned to a larger table is the way to go. There can be a wait for a solo table. It just depends if you dine at peak times. :cool:

I usually have friends on board when I cruise solo and link my booking to theirs to be seated with them (early seating).

On my next cruise, I'm doing a B2B. The first week, as usual, linked with friends, but the second week, they have a large group of family joining them, so I decided to try ATD that week. I'm looking forward to having the choice of dining room, buffet or even room service. Plus, I've rarely gone to the tea time on sea days because it was too close to the early seating, so now I can go and then eat whenever I want later. I've even booked the Steakhouse (solo) for the first night.

If I do go to the dining room, I can also decide when I arrive if I want to dine solo or ask to be seated at a large table.

Not that I don't like assigned seating, and I'll do it again on future cruises, but it will be nice to try ATD and have dining options.

I tried YTD as a solo on the Legend. People started lining up at 5:15pm! If I went early I could be seated alone if I wished. At about 6:50pm until 8pm it was almost impossible to be seated alone. Where I was seated solo, there was plenty of room between tables.

They will seat you with the group of people in line near you. If you meet people you'd like to sit with, get in line with them.

I didn't like YTD and have gone back to scheduled times.

I did my first solo cruise in June, on the Victory. I went with ATD so I could be flexible in when I was going to eat. When I travel with others I prefer traditional dining.

I always got a table by myself, but I also requested that. However, the tables were very close, so I usually ended up chatting with couples sitting around me.

I have always opted for fixed late dining in the past because I do not enjoy dining alone. But I do like the idea of Any Time Dining so that I can eat when I like. As a single, my concern is that I will end up with a table for one which I would not enjoy. How good are the Carnival Maitre Ds at placing a single with a larger table at Any Time Dining.

I spent 34 years eating in Mess Halls an have come to enjoy commom dining!

I'm a frequent solo cruiser. I'll share my experiences with you, rich.

I've always been seated at a table by myself when doing anytime dining, which is just fine with me. If you have early or late fixed dining, you will likely be seated with others unless you ask not to be. When going to the dining room for the sea day brunch, I have been given a choice of being seated at a big table with others or at a small table by myself.

Have a great cruise!

Edited by winddawn

All but one of my cruises have been solo and I always do the ATD. On Carnival, I've always been asked if I want to sit by myself or with a larger table. It just depend on how I feel that night. I prefer the ATD because you aren't stuck with the same people at the table if you decide you don't like them. I've found that many people with ATD have patterns of when they go to the dining room, so if I am seated with someone I'm not happy with at dinner one night, I go a little earlier or later the next night.

I'm a frequent solo cruiser. I'll share my experiences with you, rich.

I've always been seated at a table by myself when doing anytime dining, which is just fine with me. If you have early or late fixed dining, you will likely be seated with others unless you ask not to be. When going to the dining room for the sea day brunch, I have been given a choice of being seated at a big table with others or at a small table by myself.

Have a great cruise!

Not sure if you have done brunch at a table for yourself, but if so, did they give you that same big basked of bread and croissants etc? I would like to try brunch on my upcoming cruise, but I dont like to see food wasted, so getting that big basked of bread items, would make me sad to see it go to waste. I am not totally against a shared table, but I hate having to go into the "where are you from, where is that, and what do you do, and why are your travelling solo thing". So just wondering about that bread basket. It looks delicious, but way way too much for one person.

...I always got a table by myself, but I also requested that. However, the tables were very close, so I usually ended up chatting with couples sitting around me.

I'll be solo for the first time on my upcoming cruise on the Imagination. I have ATD and planned to ask for a table by myself, as I don't enjoy small talk with strangers.

Did you find having the tables so close defeats the purpose of dining solo? Or did you find the small talk with neighbors wasn't as in depth as if you were at the same table, if that makes sense?

I'll be solo for the first time on my upcoming cruise on the Imagination. I have ATD and planned to ask for a table by myself, as I don't enjoy small talk with strangers.

Did you find having the tables so close defeats the purpose of dining solo? Or did you find the small talk with neighbors wasn't as in depth as if you were at the same table, if that makes sense?

I did ATD on Freedom last cruise, and did always get a small table to myself (I prefer this also for the same reason you do). I also requested and got the same excellent wait team for the entire cruise. I did always show up fairly early though, by 6.30 at the latest. Yes the tables were very close, and mostly people just said good evening/how are you? Did you like your day in ....? Also

there were others who never spoke to me. But the conversation there was, was as you say not as in depth as if you were at the same table. I enjoyed it, and have requested ATD again for my next cruise.:)

Not sure if you have done brunch at a table for yourself, but if so, did they give you that same big basked of bread and croissants etc? I would like to try brunch on my upcoming cruise, but I dont like to see food wasted, so getting that big basked of bread items, would make me sad to see it go to waste. I am not totally against a shared table, but I hate having to go into the "where are you from, where is that, and what do you do, and why are your travelling solo thing". So just wondering about that bread basket. It looks delicious, but way way too much for one person.

I feel the same way about the big basket. I just tell the waiter to give me a croissant and a piece of lemon cake and not to leave a basket. That works and no wasted food.:cool:

I feel the same way about the big basket. I just tell the waiter to give me a croissant and a piece of lemon cake and not to leave a basket. That works and no wasted food.:cool:

Thanks, didn't know you could do that, but why not?:) I now plan to check out the brunch menu. Got to try it on my next cruise.

I did ATD on Freedom last cruise, and did always get a small table to myself (I prefer this also for the same reason you do)...But the conversation there was, was as you say not as in depth as if you were at the same table. I enjoyed it, and have requested ATD again for my next cruise.:)

Thanks, that is what I wanted to know!

Edited by Ryndam2002