Has Royal changed their dining policy?

Everyone said My Time Dining would be a nightmare and it's turned out to be the easiest way to eat on a cruise. Just show up when you want wherever you want. There always seemed to be a table available on the Allure at the specialty restaurants if you didn't go at peak time. The dining room gave your the flexablity to eat with others or not. You can change your reservations, too, if you change your plans for the evening. Only groups seemed to need to lock down their preferences ahead of time.

I assume there will be adjustments made as the system matures and patrons realize how Dynamic Dining works. There will always be those who like the traditional set seating and I can't believe that Royal would not want to make them happy so they come back.

Re: My Time Dining -- I think RCI learned from the problems that Princess and NCL had. My Time is very smooth as per posters and our 2 experiences.

I hope you are right about Traditional dining being kept in some form on RCI. We like it best -- same waiter, same table and ability to meet new people.

Re: My Time Dining -- I think RCI learned from the problems that Princess and NCL had. My Time is very smooth as per posters and our 2 experiences.

I hope you are right about Traditional dining being kept in some form on RCI. We like it best -- same waiter, same table and ability to meet new people.

I personally have never said it was working smoothly...what I have said....it is isn't what I want.

Did a 7 day cruise on the Jewel last month and even though we had confirmed 2nd seating for dinner on our reservation confirmation, on our seapass card it said 2nd seating 8.30pm but no table number. We were eventually put in a small side room (not main dining room) along with two large tables of 10 on each with noisy children. After complaining bitterly It was not until the 4th night that we got our table in the main restaurant. We are Diamond Plus and it did not make the slightest difference at all to the Maître D. The Loyalty Ambassador and Concierge were most apologetic, and did everything in their power to get us a table assignment and suggested in future that we ask for confirmation from Miami in writing and e mail the concierge in advance. Lesson learnt already done this for 2 other cruises this year and have even been given the table number and location in writing !

Ok I will re phrase:) if you are on a dinning wait list and you email or phone RCI about your displeasure of not getting your preferred time and someone from RCI immediately assigns you your wait listed time because of that email or call then they were in fact available for your preferred time!

A place may have just become available at the time of contact in your instance but if they did the same for everyone who contacted them then the places must be available and RCI are just gathering Pre Paid grats under false pretences of them not being available:)

My point in this is that Royal is employing a business tactic, that is used in other places/industries to get more revenue up front...throughout my 40 years in the business community, companies have always tried to have get as much money up front from their customers as possible.....I just don't have to be a party to it.

No, I don't believe it 'just became available' when I made my inquiry to the Home Office....they just accommodated me, because they could and should.

As I say to contractors who do work for me....if you need a very large deposit before beginning the work for me, perhaps you don't have enough cash reserves for me to be comfortable doing the work for me at all. I don't need others holding my cash.

All of our cruises are paid in full before sail date, and that is fine....they don't need more of my money, before hand.

Did a 7 day cruise on the Jewel last month and even though we had confirmed 2nd seating for dinner on our reservation confirmation, on our seapass card it said 2nd seating 8.30pm but no table number. We were eventually put in a small side room (not main dining room) along with two large tables of 10 on each with noisy children. After complaining bitterly It was not until the 4th night that we got our table in the main restaurant. We are Diamond Plus and it did not make the slightest difference at all to the Maître D. The Loyalty Ambassador and Concierge were most apologetic, and did everything in their power to get us a table assignment and suggested in future that we ask for confirmation from Miami in writing and e mail the concierge in advance. Lesson learnt already done this for 2 other cruises this year and have even been given the table number and location in writing !

Maybe 5 or 6 cruises ago, we started to send an email to Royal Caribbean's dining department, several weeks before our sail date. DH and I often cruise by ourselves, yet don't want to be seated at a table for two.....the reason -- when home we have dinner with each other quite a bit and want fellow diners on our cruise.

Happily Royal has always been able to put us on a table with 6-8 others...and we get a confirmation of the table arrangement before we even get to the port for sail away...it is lovely.

I personally have never said it was working smoothly...what I have said....it is isn't what I want.
Traditional late is our first choice but sometimes we cruise with folks who won't eat later than 7 PM so we have done My Time. A lot of stress getting same table and waitstaff for that time although tables coming available around 8 PM do not fill 100%.

My comment was because of things I have read about Princess where folks who booked Traditional have been thrown into Anytime. Also have read that folks who got beepers for Anytime waited for a long time. I also have read that sometimes it is hard for NCL passengers to get into the free dining rooms. Now, this is not a first hand opinioin -- it is just what I have read on CC and other venues.

I hope RCI never gets rid of Traditional.

Maybe 5 or 6 cruises ago, we started to send an email to Royal Caribbean's dining department, several weeks before our sail date. DH and I often cruise by ourselves, yet don't want to be seated at a table for two.....the reason -- when home we have dinner with each other quite a bit and want fellow diners on our cruise.

Happily Royal has always been able to put us on a table with 6-8 others...and we get a confirmation of the table arrangement before we even get to the port for sail away...it is lovely.

What is their email? thanks

My point in this is that Royal is employing a business tactic, that is used in other places/industries to get more revenue up front...throughout my 40 years in the business community, companies have always tried to have get as much money up front from their customers as possible.....I just don't have to be a party to it.

No, I don't believe it 'just became available' when I made my inquiry to the Home Office....they just accommodated me, because they could and should.

As I say to contractors who do work for me....if you need a very large deposit before beginning the work for me, perhaps you don't have enough cash reserves for me to be comfortable doing the work for me at all. I don't need others holding my cash.

All of our cruises are paid in full before sail date, and that is fine....they don't need more of my money, before hand.

OK we both agree that Royal is using a bit of a ploy to get grats up front:)

I'm on Liberty in February. This will be my first cruise in 18 years. The last time I went, there were 2 dining times: early and late.

I requested MTD because I like the alternative of a relaxed schedule. I also intend to take advantage of the other restaurants onboard.

As far as tips are concerned, my server would literally lay down and take a nap in front of me for me to deny him/her that. I'm saying this to ask: why is prepaying such a problem?

jayblue RCCL cruiser

We had a problem on Legend in Feb 2014. Could not get early traditional dining even though we booked a year in advance. We booked while on board another ship and were told to call RCI. The sales agent couldn't understand why early dining was not an option and why we couldn't even be waitlisted. Tried calling RCI several times throughout the year and were told no early time dining available and no waitlist possible. It was either late dining (too late for our constitutions) or MTD.

People on these boards suggested we ask the Maitre d' after we got on board. Nope, uh uh, no way. He was not pleasant or apologetic either. So we booked MTD at the same time each evening (surprise! 6 p.m., same time as early dining). Had the same waitstaff and table every night (we tipped the headwaiter when asking for this.) Some different people at the table every night.

Here's my question. Why, if we could get a group table at 6 p.m. via MTD every evening, could we never book early dining????? No one could give us an answer for this. And no, it was not the gratuities - we paid those at the time we booked the cruise.

Now we are in the same position again. Booked one year ahead, no early dining available and no waitlist, stuck with MTD again. I can't understand why RCI would give repeat cruisers the run-around like this.

Edited by wassup4565

We had a problem on Legend in Feb 2014. Could not get early traditional dining even though we booked a year in advance. We booked while on board another ship and were told to call RCI. The sales agent couldn't understand why early dining was not an option and why we couldn't even be waitlisted. Tried calling RCI several times throughout the year and were told no early time dining available and no waitlist possible. It was either late dining (too late for our constitutions) or MTD.

People on these boards suggested we ask the Maitre d' after we got on board. Nope, uh uh, no way. He was not pleasant or apologetic either. So we booked MTD at the same time each evening (surprise! 6 p.m., same time as early dining). Had the same waitstaff and table every night (we tipped the headwaiter when asking for this.) Some different people at the table every night.

Here's my question. Why, if we could get a group table at 6 p.m. via MTD every evening, could we never book early dining????? No one could give us an answer for this. And no, it was not the gratuities - we paid those at the time we booked the cruise.

Now we are in the same position again. Booked one year ahead, no early dining available and no waitlist, stuck with MTD again. I can't understand why RCI would give repeat cruisers the run-around like this.

I can't in anyway figure out why the issue is there and the inability to book Early Seating for a sailing, especially when booking far in advance....it is mind boggling to me. Oh wait, I would not waste that much time on the mind boggle -- I would just use other resources that I have.

All I can suggest is this....send an email to rcldining@rccl.com. Include your reservation number etc. and tell them how you would like your reservation changed to 'Confirmed for Early Dinner'. If you want to be seated at a large table let them know, if you want to be seated alone let them know....to the best of my knowledge they will make it happen. They have always been helpful to me.

I'm on Liberty in February. This will be my first cruise in 18 years. The last time I went, there were 2 dining times: early and late.

I requested MTD because I like the alternative of a relaxed schedule. I also intend to take advantage of the other restaurants onboard.

As far as tips are concerned, my server would literally lay down and take a nap in front of me for me to deny him/her that. I'm saying this to ask: why is prepaying such a problem?

jayblue RCCL cruiser

I see no reason to give the cruise line more of my money in advance, and many times, far in advance.

Wonder if there was a big group on your cruise that took the majority of early season.

jayblue RCCL cruiser

Pre paying grats for most is not a problem what is a problem is RCI not allocating guests preferred traditional dinning time when they book so far in advance!

If you book a cruise far in advance (Over a year) you expect your dinning choice to be available but in many cases its not re traditional Dinning? And when your choice is not available they wait list you and charge Grats up front at booking for My Time dinning.

With MTD grats are non removable but with Trad Dinning Grats can be removed. By saying there are no places left in Trad dinning RCI gains guaranteed Grats in advance of time then re allocates wait listers their Trad dinning time closer to the cruise:) Its a Ploy:)

I always choose "Late" Trad dinning, my next cruise was booked well over a year ahead, it is during school holidays so you could imagine early dinning would be the most desired but no! only early was available (Which I never do) and late was wait listed so I was allocated MTD with late Trad Dinning wait listed?

I know I will get my requested dinning time but regardless of dinning choice RCI have my pre paid non removable grats included in the booking :)

Edited by fishtaco

It is about the the so called upfront tips Money.Tell Royal if you can't have the dining you want you are going to cancel the cruise. Worked for us,this is a game they play. :)

It is about the the so called upfront tips Money.Tell Royal if you can't have the dining you want you are going to cancel the cruise. Worked for us,this is a game they play. :)

Best way is for RCI to make all Grats "Pre Paid" regardless of dinning options just as they have now done with all sailings from Australia.

This would make MTD more of an option for some especially those who at present choose traditional dinning essentially so they can pay their daily auto,s with OBC and families with small children who do not feel their children should pay the full adult tip amounts. It would free up many places for those who really do prefer Trad dinning over other choices:)

Best way is for RCI to make all Grats "Pre Paid" regardless of dinning options just as they have now done with all sailings from Australia.

This would make MTD more of an option for some especially those who at present choose traditional dinning essentially so they can pay their daily auto,s with OBC and families with small children who do not feel their children should pay the full adult tip amounts. It would free up many places for those who really do prefer Trad dinning over other choices:)

Well, that really ticks me off. You seem to be saying I can't get my choice of early traditional dining because my fellow pax choose it because they are too cheap to pay actual money for tips. Shameful. Or they don't want to pay tips for their kids when any server can tell you a table with kids is MORE work. Again, shameful.

A few have touched on this but it looks like it is not as easily understood.

The problem with pre paid tips is that you CANT pay them with OBC.

I have never and can confidently say I will never remove my auto gratuities. I also spend little on board as I am a spend less cruise more type of guy. If I can get a deal with OBC I would rather have the option to use it for gratuities than spend it on drinks and specialty restaurants etc. I can get by with a beer now and then and the food and drinks available in the complimentary restaurants and more than fine by us.

I am sure I am not alone here.

So if RCCL and Celebrity BS about fixed dining being available they FORCE me to pre pay our grats before we board and then I have to spend the OBC on other things. They get an extra few hundred out of us that way.

They know exactly what they are doing IMO.

Edited by woodyren

Well, that really ticks me off. You seem to be saying I can't get my choice of early traditional dining because my fellow pax choose it because they are too cheap to pay actual money for tips. Shameful. Or they don't want to pay tips for their kids when any server can tell you a table with kids is MORE work. Again, shameful.

I am not really saying this as fact but it is a scenario that does hold some merit.

I am sure those who use OBC for Grats and families with young children are not trying to be cheap but it may well sway their dinning preference if MTD did not require pre paid grats same as Traditional dinning:)

I am sure the higher number of the above cruisers would not care either way and just pay their grats but you dont have to search far on this forum to see just how many prefer to pay cash tips only to see who chooses traditional dinning because of grats:)

RCI knows this as well;)