Just off Eurodam, overcharge warning on Holland America!

As for the drink package, they do offer it periodically on charters. In February this year it was offered on South America. The contract for the charter dictates a alcohol minimum or the charter company must make up the difference, thus the sometimes it is offered but most of the time it is not.

HAL hats allowed the drinks package on the LRBC charters. This year it was a regular package, in 2013 they jacked the price up $20 per day over the regular rate.

As you know, there are extra bars set up and it is all hands on deck to to serve booze on a crowded charter, you have to watch your receipts. Several times on the last lrbc charters hubby and I were given someone else's card. We are very careful to check the card and receipt.

I hope HAL will still do a beverage package for our January charter.

HAL is notorious for overcharges. We always double check our statements the evening before disembarkation, as there are charges we never made showing up

The front desk promptly removes them when brought to their attention.

HAL is notorious for overcharges. We always double check our statements the evening before disembarkation, as there are charges we never made showing up

If the front desk removes them -- not over charges -- If they didn't remove them then they would be.

We also purchased beverage cards on our two HAL cruises. We liked the convenience and not having to keep up with a bunch of receipts. The cards worked like a dream on our Noordam cruise, but we had a lot of problems on the Westerdam. Several times one of us was told we couldn't use the card for a special or a drink of the day. That made no sense to us because the card wasn't discounted -- it should have been just like using any pre-paid card anywhere, or a straight-up charge to our on-board account.

Somebody didn't know what they were talking about because you are right. It is a pre paid card. I used mine to buy bottles of wine in the dining room with no problem. You can use it any way you want. I have never encountered your problem but would raise a fuss if I did.

Somebody didn't know what they were talking about because you are right. It is a pre paid card. I used mine to buy bottles of wine in the dining room with no problem. You can use it any way you want. I have never encountered your problem but would raise a fuss if I did.

Ditto ^^ ... the only exception should have been Half Moon Cay. They aren't equipped to handle electronic transactions and can only charge to your room. But anything else should have been allowed on a pre-paid beverage card. The MDR has trouble with them on embarkation day lunch ... because the card isn't activated yet. We don't even try to use them in there for lunch, but rather stop at a bar after lunch to get them activated. I suspect it's because the MDR is so busy that first lunch and probably the "bar runners" aren't allowed to use an unactivated card.

Edited by Linda&Vern

We had no problem with the cards on the Noordam, and used the cards for everything, including bottles of wine and corkage fees. It was only on the Westerdam that we ran into issues. On that cruise, we were told "no" three or four times. It was very frustrating.

We had no problem with the cards on the Noordam, and used the cards for everything, including bottles of wine and corkage fees. It was only on the Westerdam that we ran into issues. On that cruise, we were told "no" three or four times. It was very frustrating.

It must have been frustrating. These cards have been around for several years now so there is no excuse for staff not having their act in gear.

• 1 month later...

Just sayin': Always check your final stateroom bill, then compare the total with the charge on your credit card statement. The last three cruises I was charged a few dollars more than what was on my final statement. The first 2 were for a minibar water and the last one was for a laundry bag. I didn't drink any of their water or take a laundry bag. Needless to say I called Seattle and had the charges removed; they credited my account accordingly. I just have to think that Holland America has a lot of billing errors.

Just sayin': Always check your final stateroom bill, then compare the total with the charge on your credit card statement. The last three cruises I was charged a few dollars more than what was on my final statement. The first 2 were for a minibar water and the last one was for a laundry bag. I didn't drink any of their water or take a laundry bag. Needless to say I called Seattle and had the charges removed; they credited my account accordingly. I just have to think that Holland America has a lot of billing errors.

Good advice for everyone. Mistakes happen on both sides.

We are fine with not having to sign receipts. But what is really poor about HAL is your lack of ability to easily check your onboard bill. On many lines such as RCI and Celebrity you can simply check your bill (any time) on your cabin TV and make sure all the charges are truly yours. On Princess there are a few kiosks where you simply swipe your cruise card and the machine prints out a copy of your statement. But on HAL, you have to go to Guest Relations, sometimes wait in a queue, and then wait for them to print out a statement. Because this is somewhat of a hassle most folks tend not to do this very often and therein lies the problem.

Hank

Ditto !

JK

Edited by nobog

We have had the same thing happen on our last few cruises. As soon as the bill shows up from HAL on my charge card -- sure enough -- there is a charge for the mini bar -- either water or sodas.

Over the years, we have had mistakes made on just about every cruiseline. That is why I keep the receipts and check our bill, every few days. Mistakes are easy to make, if they are busy and handling many orders at a time.

I do the same thing -- ask for a copy of our shipboard account every 3 or 4 days.

And a couple of times we were charged for items from the mini which the concierge had removed. But when we got home, the charges for those items appeared again which meant a call to HAL.

We have had the same thing happen on our last few cruises. As soon as the bill shows up from HAL on my charge card -- sure enough -- there is a charge for the mini bar -- either water or sodas.

Yes, what's with that? My last 3 HAL cruises we have had the same thing happen. An additional charge on my CC for an item from the fridge - which we have emptied as soon as we board. And twice, the fridge has been checked before we disembarked and all marked complete. Yet that charge shows up. It's annoying to have to phone and get it sorted.

On our last cruise we used our cards up and had to purchase a couple onboard.

Aren you refering to the Signature Beverage Package? It's 15 drinks per day (not per cruise) right? Not sure how you used them up then (since you get 15 more every day) and I didn't know you could buy extra cards onboard. Thanks for the info!! :D

Could it be for mini fridge items from the previous passengers in the cabin:confused:

It happens on the day of Check Out in Hotels, where the occupants help themselves to a few things after the bill is paid. :rolleyes:

More so with a Late Check out. :eek::eek:

Aren you refering to the Signature Beverage Package? It's 15 drinks per day (not per cruise) right? Not sure how you used them up then (since you get 15 more every day) and I didn't know you could buy extra cards onboard. Thanks for the info!! :D

No, it wasn't part of a package. It was simply pre loaded beverage cards that we purchased online for 250 dollars each. They were good for 250 dollars worth of spending. You can also buy 100 dollar cards. I'm not sure about other amounts because we have only purchased cards in the amounts I mentioned.

By purchasing them online we had our names imprinted on the cards, which avoids mix ups. The cards purchased on the ship will not have your name on them. I solved this problem with the extra cards we bought onboard by using a hole punch to mark our cards, being careful not to punch the magnetic strip.

The first time you use the card, the server will need your room card to activate the beverage card.

The main advantage is that you get a print out of your balance each time you use the card and you really only need to save the latest slip. There will not be a myriad of bar charges on your room bill at the end of the cruise. That makes checking your bill so much easier.

I was able to use the card for anything from a bottle of wine in the dining room to a can of pop in the Lido.

Edited by sapper1

• 3 months later...

I was on Eurodam from 12/14/14 - 21/21/14; it was our 21st cruise for 12 years.

On December, 16th 2014 I discovered charge $249 for family spa package+spa pool. This charge was made by spa supervisor on 12/14/14 about 8 p.m.

I never visited spa department and was not goint to in whole my life...

I requested webcam records from security.

Sure, security would not talk to me at all...

And this spa supervisor explained by phone to customer service rep (not to me),

that this manual charged was made based on the 1st name.

Wow! So,

my account was HACKED by SPA supervisor.

I have reciept to proof my statement...

The charge was immidiately removed. But nobody from spa dept. contacted me with any excuses...

After 2 follow up conversations with customer support at the 1st desk, spa manager came down stairs.

And in front of customer service rep. he started to treat me like undeveloped and pushing me that it was just small error.

I decided to stop this waisting of time conversations and investigate these spa people on internet.

So, this is not the 1st time, when these people try to charge guests for no service... Even BBB has recent case

http://www.bbb.org/western-washington/business-reviews/travel-agencies-and-bureaus/holland-america-line-in-seattle-wa-501331/complaints.

My questions are:

1. WHAT IS POLICY TO CHARGE GUEST ACCOUNT?

2. IS IT IN POLICY TO CHARGE ACCOUNT BY ONLY GUEST 1ST NAME?

3. Who are these SPA people on Eurodam and why Manager of this department covers them?

I still did not get any APOLOGY from any SPA PERSONNEL

Please, advise and help me how to stop this guest abusing...

We must to have vacation and quality time that we paying for.

Correct?

Other than once when they returned the wrong card to my partner after buying drinks and charging wrong drinks to him (and getting it reversed right away and a new card issued) we have not had any charge errors in seven HAL cruises (or the three other cruises on other cruise lines).

Not saying it doesn't happen.. Just relating our experiences. :)

Mistakes happen.

Like others, we have experienced room billing errors on cruise lines, hotels, resorts.

This is exactly the reason why we like in room monitor access to our account. It enables us to check every few days, or however often we like, without going down to the front desk to request a printout. Plus lots of other features.

Not sure why a big apology is necessary. We would be fine with having the charge reversed in a timely manner.

I would hardly refer to a manual posting to your account as 'hacking your account'. This description seems just a little over the top.

Give HAL/spa a break on this and let them reverse the charge. It is not worth getting worked up about...unless of course they refuse to rectify the error which I doubt very much. It is human error. No one is perfect.

Edited by iancal