First time cruiser!!

Rgeher1

Me and my wife will be going on the norwegian breakaway for our honeymoon in September. This will be my first cruise, her 5th. We will be in the haven suites. Room 12904 aft facing balcony. I was wondering if anybody ever experienced feelings of panic knowing you are in the middle of the water with nothing around for miles! How do/did you deal with that feeling. Thanks in advance!!

Well, you really don't feel like you're in the middle of the ocean...you feel like you're in a resort hotel! The ship is BIG...and there is so much to do, and it's very comfortable...it's certainly not like being in a small fishing boat or rowboat...

So many folks are worried about the same thing as you...until they take their 1st cruise and find out they worried for nothing! I do enjoy having my binoculars, so I can make visual contact with other stuff out there...you really are NOT alone!!

Most problems at sea don't occur in the open ocean but closer to land or in shallow water. Think Concordia. Mishaps are extremely rare and you can feel secure in knowing that every precaution has been taken to mitigate every type of emergency situation. Also the crew has been thoroughly trained to protect you and the ship. They are frequently practicing for emergencies while you are enjoying your trip ashore. Chill and enjoy the trip.

I can understand your fears. I have had a panic of anything I can't get off of- bridges, traffic, subways, etc. We have an extremely long river walk in my city and I stay away from it because there's only one way on or off- and yet it's out in the fresh air. Makes no sense. For a long time I wouldn't fly- something I had done hundreds of times in my life. It really gets debilitating. I got through it and left it in my past. The only thing that still presses the panic button for me are bridges. But I get over them.

That said.... I have never, ever, ever had a problem with cruise ships. They're huge. They are a city unto themselves. I can guarantee you that you won't get that "trapped" feeling. The ocean is part of this earth. Instead of "on land" you're "on ocean". There are so many rooms and decks on these ships that you are constantly going from place to place and interacting with people.

Bring some Drammamine or Bonine if you don't have any Xanax or other sedative. They have sedating properties that will help if you get jammed up.

Go and have fun. Congrats!

Haven't experienced that but just want to say I am SO EXCITED for you two! I think all your worries will disappear once you're on the ship :)

Ditto. I sort of experienced what you're feeling on my first cruise, but to a lesser degree. I realized that I was in a big hotel that just happened to be on water. I soon got over my feeling, probably by the second day.

Me and my wife will be going on the norwegian breakaway for our honeymoon in September. This will be my first cruise, her 5th. We will be in the haven suites. Room 12904 aft facing balcony. I was wondering if anybody ever experienced feelings of panic knowing you are in the middle of the water with nothing around for miles! How do/did you deal with that feeling. Thanks in advance!!

Here is a link for your ship, scroll down and find the date you are sailing. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=783

That way you can 'talk" with others who will be on the ship also. Or, you can just read and get some info. :D

I get that on boats, ferries, not on large cruise ships. There I feel like being in a hotel, out of the car (or shuttle) into the pier building, into another building that is actually the ship.

Maybe don't go outside or on the balcony the first couple of days?

You sound like you have a golden cabin, enjoy the view, and you will have a great time, there is so much to do, besides eating. :)

Also keep in mind that there are lots of other cruise ships out there, sailing to the same ports as your ship. Sometimes you can see them in the distance. Even if you can't, they are right there. Lots of times you will see the same ship in port with you. In the very slim chance that something would happen, the crew would be able to contact the other ships easily. Don't worry, and enjoy that awesome cabin of yours!

This was my biggest fear... I have had panic and agoraphobia for many years and it always got into the way of my traveling

but decided the hell with it....let's go...I tell you I never thought once about being on the water in the middle of nowhere...I was having too much fun!!! The only problem I had this last cruise and I know it sounds stupid but docking in Cozumel and walking along the big dock to shore...THAT sent me into a panic..felt like I had nothing to hold on to in all that wide open space....other than that I was fine...have a great cruise!!!!

My friend refused for years to cruise because of the very same fears and several years ago was convinced to try a Thomsons cruise. Her husband booked them on a back to back so they were aboard for 14 nights. I feared it would be too long for her especially as it was her first cruise. She came home and went straight to the TA to book again for the following year. She couldn't believe how much she'd enjoyed it. They have cruised every year since then! Thomsons ships aren't anywhere like the size of NCL so I'm sure you'll love it - you probably won't even realise you're sailing half the time ;)

I must admit standing on my balcony at night looking and seeing nothing but water sometimes it throws a bit of uneasiness into me..but then..I just have another DRINK and it soon goes away! :D