Need advice on casual elegant

laughoutloud

Hello ladies (and gentlemen)

We're planning to go on our first Windstar cruise next year (our anniversary present.):) The dress code is casual elegance, country club casual. What I'm seeing that to mean is casual expensive.

I have casual clothes, business casual, and formal. But I don't think this will do & I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb.

I'm 40 y/o and petite. I hate to shop, because I'm too old for juniors & too young (I feel) for misses. Sometimes I get lucky at Express & sometimes the Dress Barn.

Does anyone have any suggestions for dinner outfits? PS My husband has lots of clothes in this category. (Kind of ironic isn't it?)

Thanks, guys.

Yes, you will see well dressed passengers in elegantly casual clothing.

Where are you cruising: the Med, Caribbean?

For these cruises, I pack silk wrap dresses, skirts and dressy slacks for dinner. I will bring dressy twinsets and or blouses or sweaters, depending on itinerary. My taste runs to Anne Klein, Dana Buchman, Ellen Tracy, etc. I have a few wonderful pieces I have bought over the years that I wear often and that are classsy, easy to pack and are suitable for many occasions.

What a nice cruise to look forward to!

CG

Hello ladies (and gentlemen)

We're planning to go on our first Windstar cruise next year (our anniversary present.):) The dress code is casual elegance, country club casual. What I'm seeing that to mean is casual expensive.

I have casual clothes, business casual, and formal. But I don't think this will do & I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb.

I'm 40 y/o and petite. I hate to shop, because I'm too old for juniors & too young (I feel) for misses. Sometimes I get lucky at Express & sometimes the Dress Barn.

Does anyone have any suggestions for dinner outfits? PS My husband has lots of clothes in this category. (Kind of ironic isn't it?)

Thanks, guys.

Do you have a Petite Sophisticate near you? My daughter who is barely 5 feet has good luck there. They have many of the same styles as casual corner and as far as looking old, she is in her mid 30's and has been shopping there since late-high school-college. She worked part-time at a bank and continued there full time after college graduation so she needed clothes a little more sophiticated than 5-7-9 shops but not dowdy looking so that she couldn't wear them to classes while in college.

Caviargal- thanks for tips. We're doing a Med. cruise in July w/ Palma, Ibiza & Marbella.

Most of my decent clothes are in very dark colors (I'm a New Yorker) - my favorite pants are black slacks w/ peu de soir shoes. My dresses all seem to run to "the little black dress" style. Do you think everyone else will be wearing more "tropical" colors?

Hajakfam- wow. thanks! I found the website & yes, I do have a store near me! The styles look great. I went to Macy's on Tuesday: what a disaster. There were so many "collections" spread all over it was impossible to see everything.

I did buy a bunch of stuff and when I showed my husband last night ( don't worry, I don't need his approval; just like to have him admire the outfits) well, he said it looked like a was wearing my mother's clothes! UGH!

BTW does your daughter feel stuck-in-the-middle like me? My mother keeps saying I should buy older styles ( and I don't shop in juniors!) but I'm having a hard time because I don't feel older.

Maryann

Maryann, Hi:) do you have a Talbots nearby? They have beautiful clothing,

and you mentioned things being so spread out in Macy's.....Talbots will give you

ONE TO ONE service.

They have classic clothing. I buy there when they have a sale going;) the stuff is great though a bit $$$ for my budget sometimes.

But I do admit, it fits beautifully and looks good too:D

Lois, yes there is a Talbots around here. With any luck, they'll still have some summer clothes left at end-of-the-season prices.;) I sort-of like the classic look, (although I was forced into loafer/ blazer styles when I was a teen) but I was hoping for something a little sexy, too.:rolleyes:

Maryann

My daughter actually buys classic styles - but accessorizes them with jewelry, shoes, and scarves or ponchos etc (whatever is in style) so they don't make her look matronly. She always looks great. Of course she is the type that even looks fantastic on her drivers license picture.

A classic look on any age never looks dowdy if it is carried off right - stand up tall, shoulders back, and act like you're on top of the world.

Laugh,

I have a friend who is an advid shopper online. Two ideas. One is to look online for clothes that fit what you think is casual elegance. Buy what you like and can afford. Second idea is to look at sites that have the type of clothes you like and think fit this category and print out pictures and then go shopping in stores that could carry something similar. If you are the type who can buy out of catalogs (I can't, but I have a daughter who can) and have it fit properly, then buy online. My friend has bought dresses for special occasions and a variety of other things online. Her one daughter bought a junior prom gown online. No problems and it fit. These are people who lead a very busy life and don't have time to go out and get it from stores. I guess it comes down to your confidence in buying online and facing that fact that it might have to be shipped back. Good luck.

I too am petite (5' 1 1/2") & my favorite place to shop is Dillards. All the petite clothing are in one section. I know what you mean about wearing your mom's clothes. :p I'm 37. Also, stuck in the middle. The selection you see online is not indicative of what you will see in the store. Good luck with your shopping. BTW, I hate shopping too. I thought I was the only female alive that hated it. Glad to see I'm not so weird after all. :p

hajekfam- I think I'm "accessory-challenged"... I usually only wear my wedding ring and gold hoops. No belts, no scarves, no cool jewelry. Actually, although I am in general a very confident person, I don't have the confidence to wear stylish accessories. Isn't that weird?

Celbercrz- Do you know how many dozens of outfits I have to take into the fitting room just to come away with one or two keepers? I try it on: it's "all wrong", ugly, too big, too small, not "me', etc. And let's not even talk about trying on jeans!!!:eek: (I don't think I could ever shop for clothes online.)

Tammy- hello, girl! Welcome to my world! There is nothing worse for me than having to go clothes shopping. (BTW: no Dillards in NY. Too bad, the styles on the website look good. )

I forgot to tell you all: Do you know what my husband said when I came home with my disaster purchases? That I should call "those guys that help people shop." STACEY & CLINTON!!!:eek:

Maryann...too funny;) didn't he mean Carson?:D

Anyway, as to accessories...I am not a scarf person but if you want to step out of the box to expand the outfit just a little bit you could go jewelery shopping, that is always fun:) I have lots of simple hoops and yes, they go with lots of outfits. But I love trying new earrings. Not something I am uncomfortable with but just different styles. And there are plenty of them out there.

I don't feel good in a shoulder duster so it is not something I would ever look for, but there are so many dangles nowadays. They can be linear which elongates the face too. (it helps me...I have a rounder face).

And there are geometrics...which are always FUN! :) And I have plenty of silver and gold...it is so nice to have choices for the outfits:D

Anyway, just thought I would put the suggestion out there to you!

Caviargal- thanks for tips. We're doing a Med. cruise in July w/ Palma, Ibiza & Marbella.

Most of my decent clothes are in very dark colors (I'm a New Yorker) - my favorite pants are black slacks w/ peu de soir shoes. My dresses all seem to run to "the little black dress" style. Do you think everyone else will be wearing more "tropical" colors?

Maryann

I have done 4 Med cruises and no, I do not think tropical colors and styles are at all the norm. Linens are very popular in the Med, and I cannot remember a single Tommy Bahama type shirt on my Med sailing last month. Lots of long sleeve button downs in linen and other nice fabrics for men, skirts and dresses for ladies.

I would pack at least one little black dress. I am very comfortable in mine and enjoy wearing them. Choose one or even two that are simple and elegant, pair it with pretty sandals instead of the fabric shoes you mention, throw in a pashmina or two and you are good to go.

Spiff up your dark colored slacks with pretty skirts or sweater sets; there are some really pretty options out there now. Again, a nice dressy sandal will be more casual and festive than a closed in shoe.

Add some pretty jewelry as Lois suggests, a fun evening bag or two and you will be perfectly at home.

I, too, LOVE little black dresses. And I love black pants, perhaps obsessively as I have about 20 pairs. I think this must be a NY thing as I was raised up there as well!

Thank you, thank you all. I wish I could take you guys shopping with me (or better yet, shopping for me!);)

CG- your suggestions are fantastic. I was plannning to ask for specific info regarding cruise elegant on Windstar, but I've changed my mind.

I think I've just had a "breakthrough"!

The heck with what everyone else is wearing. I'm going to bring nice outfits that I like, that I feel comfortable in, and that flatter me. That's what was wrong with all those Macy's clothes (and my husband knew that, but I guess he couldn't express it). :cool:

It's never mattered to me what everyone is is wearing; I don't know why all of a sudden I'm concerned about "fitting in"? Maybe becuase it's an upscale ship, or something.

Anyway, I'm off to Talbots Outlet- hopefully summer-end clearance. I'll try a few more stores (oh the shopping pain!):eek: but I definitely won't stress it out.

L.O.L.

Maryann

Good Luck at Talbots. I bought some beautiful, sexy "casual elegant" pieces at the outlet near me. I got some lovely, sleeveless wrap tops in the softest silky fabric. I also got some great ankle pants, jackets and skirts. I find that I do best there when I'm looking for casual elegance rather than business attire.

Do you have an Ann Taylor Loft near you? They have very nice clothes there (petites included). I am 45 & have found a lot of very nice things (I feel too young for a lot of misses stuff too). I do like some of the Jones New York & Inc from Macys though. Good luck on your shopping!

MaryAnn,

Try looking for clothes by designers like Nanette La Pour, Cynthia Steffe, BCBG, Anna Sui, Theory.

They can be found in stores like Lord & Taylor, Macy's, Sak's, etc.

These are all contemporary fits which is more for women that a junior fit like Express - leave that stuff for the 22 year olds.

Jane

Laugh,

I love to watch Clinton and Stacy on What Not to Wear. I tune in every Friday night. I just wish they would do more people who have challenging measurements. They did one lady once who had a big bottom and a small waist. They finally admitted that they found some pants but they had to be altered. Nominate me!!!

Hello ladies!

Well, Talbots Outlet was a bust- they didn't really have what I was looking for. I did buy a nice heavy linen sundress- dark coral, sleeveless, long & narrow but with a nice flair to the bottom. Just needs accessories... :eek: ;)

One thing I did discover at Talbots: everything fit me beacuse I was trying on the proper size (turns out I'm a 2P. Don't be jealous, there hardly any selections in that size range.) How nice it was to have things fit right...

Jane, thanks for the advice but since I'm trying to save as much as possible for this cruise cruise, there's no way I can afford designer clothes. I find juniors clothes fit me much better, just that the styles are too whack. Sometimes Express has simple solids & styles that I like.

dekor8r, I love Jones NY! Everytime I go to buy a formal dress ( Lord & Taylor has great sales) I swear I'm going to get something different. And then I come home with yet another beautiful black Jones NY dress!! :rolleyes:

Celbercrzer, NO nominate me!!!!:D :D

Hi, I just have to say that while I no longer live in NYC (I go back 2x a year), I still follow NYC fashion "rules".

I'm going on my first cruise in about 2 weeks, (Radisson Seven Seas Mariner) and personally I will wear what NYC fashion is. That's the style I own and that's what I like and happy with and will have to do.

From my travels and living in other parts of the country, I know that it's impossible to fit in exactly as people in different parts dress differently. NYC is a lot of black for sure so don't stress over it. And remember black and white is always fashionalbe and pink being a hot color goes well with black.

The only exception is that on my cruise, no jeans for dinner where as in NYC these days, jeans and a silk/beaded/sequined top would be considered casual dressy (Kathy Hilton who is in her 40's wore an ensemble like this the other day on tv for going out in).

You should wear what you need to to fit the rules of the ship, but other than that, you should wear what you like and are comfortable in.

Remember sticking out is not a bad thing, it shows you have your own personality and style.

If you are in NYC, Soho has some excellent boutiques that carry small sizes (I remember those days, lol), and most everything is on sale for summer wear now as they are all getting in the winter stuff (yes, I don't live there but I still know everything that is going on in NYC).

Saks has a great petite dept and you might get lucky and find some summer stuff on sale (if it's not all gone). The also have a full junior floor (I think it's on 5 or 6) with styles. Remember you can always buy a youthful top/blazer and wear it with classic pants and shoes.

There own label "real clothes" is quite reasonable especially if on sale. If you're in NYC call Saks and ask for the petite dept and ask if they have any summer stuff left to save you the time of going over if you are pressed for time, you can also check out the website www.saks.com and see if there is any sale going. same for neiman marcus at www.neimanmarcus.com they have a petite section too.

I think NM was advertising at 75% off on their website earlier in the week for last call.

From my travels and living in other parts of the country, I know that it's impossible to fit in exactly as people in different parts dress differently. NYC is a lot of black for sure so don't stress over it. And remember black and white is always fashionalbe and pink being a hot color goes well with black.

You should wear what you need to to fit the rules of the ship, but other than that, you should wear what you like and are comfortable in. Remember sticking out is not a bad thing, it shows you have your own personality and style.

Mrs. Moose, I love that concept! And you are so right about that NYers & our black clothes. I remember meeting a woman who had visited NY & wore a brightly colored winter coat. She said was the only one dressed like that, but where she was from it was all the rage.

Like CaviarGal, I also have a ton of black slacks, all different, mind you, yet black just the same. I guess it would seem like I wear the same ones over & over...:rolleyes: And I wore them for my son's First Communion with a very nice dark fuscia 3/4 sleeve jacket/ shirt.

Viva black pants!

Anyone remember Garanimals? I wish they made them for fashion-challenged adults like me!!!:D :D

The Garanimals Story:

http://www.garanimals.com/garanimals_history.htm

Hi Laugh,

That's exactly it, the woman with the bright colored coat and what I mean.

I too love black pants. I have quite a few pairs myself, even a pair of leather that I replace from time to time.

www.bloomingdales.com also has great sales going on on their website, you really have to click on what you want and surf through the stuff, but still nice emblished tops sometimes for $17.99. Also in store but they are harder to call than Saks.

I don't like to dress matronly either and I like trendy/casual/chic, (I'm in your age group, my age is an unlisted #, lol), but what I find ageless is a pair of black pants, and a twinset. More trendy would be black pants and an emblished tunic. Of course formal is formal. Black dress, why not, it's ageless, timeless and always elegant and trendy and chic and fashionable. I bet you'll be one of the best dressed women on the ship.

You should think about what you like and what your husband likes on you. It's your cruise with him and your special time together.

These days the rage is emblishments, so a beaded twinset or emblished tunic with black pants or even all black with say metallic emblished shoes and an "evening wrap".

I really love to shop, my mottos are shop till you drop and when the going gets tough the tough go shopping. I read Vogue and IN STYLE every month from cover to cover.

Emblished shoes, is another fashion rage. Remember though no matchy matchy, (head to toe all one color) unless it's black or something you like to do.

And remember also, your fashion has to match your personality.

What Kathy Hilton wears may not work for me and my personality, meaning, just because it's fashionable doesn't mean it's for you even if you are the perfect model size.

I'm also going on a lux cruise (Radisson - Alaska), and my only concerns will be that I fit with the ship dress code rules and that I will be comfortable and warm. If others don't like my style, well hey, maybe I won't like theirs.

And while I love to shop shop shop, I would only buy if I knew I could wear it again back home and enjoy it, with the exception if I needed full formal attire as I have very little occasion to wear that (almost never). Thankfully my cruise is all country club casual.

So from one New Yorker to another, please don't stress and wear what makes you happy and most importantly, have a wonderful time, and safe and healthy travels.

MrsMoose, I just want to compliment your post:)

Quote:

"most importantly, have a wonderful time, and safe and healthy travels"

Hear, Hear, I agree with that one 110%:D

Hello ladies!

Jane, thanks for the advice but since I'm trying to save as much as possible for this cruise cruise, there's no way I can afford designer clothes. I find juniors clothes fit me much better, just that the styles are too whack. Sometimes Express has simple solids & styles that I like.

I understand. However, the word "designer" is a tricky word and the designer labels I mentioned are contemporary designers. If you're thinking that their prices are like....say....Calvin Klein or Donna Karan.....they're not. Not even close!

At full price they may still be more than you want to pay. But my suggestion was really to look at them now, see if you like their style and if they fit you and then keep you eye open for when the sales hit. A friend of mine who's a 2P takes a size 0 in Tahari and it fits her perfectly.

Obviously, if you've found things you likem then it's a moot point, but if you're still searching, then it might be worth having a look.

Happy shopping!

Jane

Saks has a great petite dept and you might get lucky and find some summer stuff on sale (if it's not all gone). The also have a full junior floor (I think it's on 5 or 6) with styles. Remember you can always buy a youthful top/blazer and wear it with classic pants and shoes.

There own label "real clothes" is quite reasonable especially if on sale. If you're in NYC call Saks and ask for the petite dept and ask if they have any summer stuff left to save you the time of going over if you are pressed for time, you can also check out the website www.saks.com and see if there is any sale going. same for neiman marcus at www.neimanmarcus.com they have a petite section too.

All the summer things are gone from Sak's! <sniff, sniff> But I was in Lord & Taylor today and bought about $300. worth of lingerie for $50.!!!! :)

The 5th floor at Sak's that you're referring to is the contemporary floor. That's the concept I was trying to tell LaughingOutLoud about. They carry contemporary designers like the ones I already mentioned, as well Catherine Malandrino, who's one of my favorites (she also has a store in Soho as well as in the meatpacking district). Also there is Betsy Johnson.

That's the floor you mean, right? Sak's does not have a junior's dept.

Jane

I'm also going on a lux cruise (Radisson - Alaska), and my only concerns will be that I fit with the ship dress code rules and that I will be comfortable and warm. If others don't like my style, well hey, maybe I won't like theirs.

And while I love to shop shop shop, I would only buy if I knew I could wear it again back home and enjoy it, with the exception if I needed full formal attire as I have very little occasion to wear that (almost never). Thankfully my cruise is all country club casual.

So from one New Yorker to another, please don't stress and wear what makes you happy and most importantly, have a wonderful time, and safe and healthy travels.

Moose, off topic...

Your Radisson cruise is all country club casual? One of the things that has turned me off to Radisson is the formal nights, so I'm suprised to hear that. I'm thrilled. Our favorite line is Oceania which is also country club casual every night. I do have formal clothing and Dh does have a tux, however, I don't enjoy bringing and wearing them on vacation.

Is it just the Alaska trips that have no formal nights?

Thanks from another NYC lover of black! :)

Jane

Archived