Need advice on casual elegant

laughoutloud

It has been a wonderful experience over the years to meet all sorts of people on these boards - such different life styles we all have! That is what makes these boards so interesting.

Jane - I am completely the opposite - I live a very small town life "forever in blue jeans" - (my choice) - but when I am on a cruise I want the glitz of dressing up in a formal and to see my DH looking so handsome in a tux. Needless to say though he does not own one - last time he rented one through the ship - does anyone know if they still do that? (probably a topic for another thread, but thought I'd ask).

Jan

To Lois, thank you for the compliment.

To Jane, to answer your question re Radisson and formal wear, this is my very first cruise ever. From what I'm told is that Alaska (unless it's the longer repositioning one) and the Paul Gaugain (Tahiti), they have formal nights.

I choose Radisson for the reason that we don't need formal attire. Personally, for me it would be a total waste of money. While I love clothes, fashion etc, I don't like formal wear as I don't wear makeup and I never wear heals, and I have no occasion to wear it at home so a big waste of money. I also choose Radisson because all their soft drinks and bottled water are included as is wine with dinner. A friend of mine went on a cruise and he came back with "bill shock" when he disembarked. All tips included, plus on this ship the Mariner, all suite all balcony and the rooms are decent sized from the looks of it and I'm a bit claustrophic so needed some room, not to mention hubby is 6'4.

Hubby refused to go to Alaska with a tuxedo or even a suit. Can't say I blame him either. Personally I think the whole formal night thing is silly, I mean I understand formal for an award ceremony, a special occasion event, fund raiser, something special, but on a cruise, the same ship with the same restaurant decides that tonight is formal for no special reason. I just don't get it. I really don't.

This is my 5 year breast cancer survivor cruise. I've always wanted to go to Alaska for as long as I can remember even back to childhood, so I'm finally supposed to go, the last thing I need is to worry about what I'm going to wear. I mean to a certain extent you have to plan, to be warm, bring the right clothes/shoes for the climate, and to conform to the dress code of the ship but to worry about fitting in, just can't do it. Maybe I'm wrong, but if someone isn't going to like me because I'm not wearing what they consider to be the "right attire" well then I guess I would not want them to like me anyway. Bottom line, wear what makes you happy as long as it's within the guidelines and have a great time on your cruise and happy anniversary too to the lady celebrating and anyone else too.,

Moose, off topic...

Your Radisson cruise is all country club casual? One of the things that has turned me off to Radisson is the formal nights, so I'm suprised to hear that. I'm thrilled. Our favorite line is Oceania which is also country club casual every night. I do have formal clothing and Dh does have a tux, however, I don't enjoy bringing and wearing them on vacation.

Is it just the Alaska trips that have no formal nights?

Thanks from another NYC lover of black! :)

Jane

My two Radisson cruises each had one formal night, but this was ten or so years ago. One was a Med cruise, the other Southern Caribbean.

I would verify with your TA.

It's funny how we are all so divergent on dress code preferences. I don't cruise Radisson or Oceania because they don't have formal nights! Living in FL, there is so little opportunity to dress up and I miss it. I would dress formally for dinner every night and be perfectly happy!

MrsMoose, CONGRATULATIONS on your 5 years:)

I agree with Caviargal about dressing up. I LOVE IT:D I never have opportunities here at home and I so enjoy getting all fancied up!

When you said you just don't get it....it feels good to me to put on a long gown and pretty jewelery.

The only make up I wear at home is some eyeshadow and mascara. On the cruise I put on that as well as some blush and lipstick too;)

I don't feel like finding the clothes is a waste of money as I always buy on sale:D Retail is not in the budget LOL and thankfully I have been able to cruise enough that maybe now I will decide to start wearing my items again.

Quote: "Personally I think the whole formal night thing is silly"

Personally, I think formal night is FANTASTIC.......different strokes for different folks!

Hi Lois & CaviarGal,

Lois thank you.

Ok, thank you for explaining, while I may not get it for myself, I do get it for you and others. This is something you enjoy. I definitely get it if shopping for formal clothes is something you enjoy.

While I don't want to do it, I fully respect and understand that other ladies might enjoy it.

My "silly" comment was not directed at the ladies who do it and enjoy it, but at the cruise line. I'm a first time cruiser, have never been on one. When I was shopping for my cruise to Alaska, the first line I looked at was Princess. I didn't use a travel agent as I don't have one and I called Princess. I asked about formal nights because I knew from other people that it "existed". Maybe I just got a bad phone agent, but the way she put it was, "formal nights are formal, you don't wear it, you can't eat in the restaurant, you have to eat a hamburger or pizza in an alternative place". I got a little upset at that and then someone suggested Radisson because for Alaska it's "ccc". So I called Radisson and they said that yes, for the cruise I want it's "ccc".

I hope I didn't offent any of you ladies here, my comments were not directed at you, especially if you enjoy it, my comments were at the cruise line for perhaps the way they inforce it and project it. Then again, this is going to be my first cruise experience and maybe I just got a lot of bad info, but I really hope I did not offent anyone here.

I don't wear makeup (moisturizer and that's it), so I hate getting into formal wear as I feel like I'm a mansion without curtains. I also don't wear heals ever. Hubby hates tuxes, said he would not go if he had to wear "black tie" on this trip.

Again, please accept my sincere appologies if I offended anyone, my comments were not meant to those who enjoy it, as my philosopy is if you enjoy it, that's great, go for it and nothing is silly if you enjoy it.

Hi MrsMoose, no offense was taken:) your post was polite and no malice was intended (that is how I read it).

Anyway, I have been lucky enough to sail quite a few times in the last 2 years:D I LOVE cruising!

I cannot afford the true luxury lines and from what I have read Raddison is part of that group.

Celebrity is mainstream, but in my opinion, more upscale and their 2 formal nights on a 7 night cruise are definitely highlights for me!

I hope you enjoy your 1st cruise....after my first one they had me...hook, line and sinker;)

Mrs. Moose,

All I can say is good for you. You're an intelligent, independent woman who thinks for herself. (No doubt your positive attitude helped you during your crisis!) :)

Formal nights or no formal nights- thank goodness there's a cruise to fit everyone's tastes. My husband & I are very casual dressers but we have tons of formal clothes (we attend about 2 wedding a year so I've bought a lot of dark, long, evening dresses & keep rotating;) .) My husband on the other hand, while he looks like a zillion bucks in a nice suit, also looks so stiff- he says he feels like he's being choked in a black straightjacket...)

BTW- it's too freaky that we found "the perfect" cruise & I still have to go shopping- this time for country club casual!:rolleyes:

Hi,

I have been lurking on the boards for a while now, especially on the Cruise Fashion thread. There have been so many times that I wanted to post, but I always held back. (a little afraid of flames) I respect everyone's opinon on what they feel is appropriate attire for cruising. That being said, sometimes I feel that maybe people go a little overboard with their suggestions. What feels right for some may not feel right to others. It was good to hear Mrs. Moose's thoughts on Formal wear. I'm with her.

My Husband and I have only been on 2 crusies (CArnival & Rccl). We do the Panama Canal in April. We have always dressed for one formal night, but

maybe not to everyone's taste. (suit and pretty dress) But I think that's OK, because we were comfortable and had a lot of fun! My fellow cruisers who were dressed in their finest, looked like they were having as much fun as us, so I guess the clothing didn't matter!

I think my biggest pet peeve is this smart casual thing. I'm finding that most people's attire (that I read about), is a little too dressy for me. But I guess that's what makes life so interesting. If we were alll the same, life would be pretty bland.

A cruise is a very expensive vacation for us. I pick up lots of bargains and am welll prepared in advance. The last thing I want worry about is what other people think about my clothes. To be perfectly truthful, I don't remember a single thing that anybody (but us) wore on last 2 cruises, I only remember the fun we had with our friends.

Sorry this is so long, just wanted to get a few things off my mind. Hope everyone has a great time on their cruises.

(excuse the spelling as I haven't figured out how to to spell check here)

Judy(insert happy face here as I don't know how!!)

Hello Judy!

Welcome. Upgrading from a lurker to poster, are you?:p

You're so right about smart casual, elegant casual, etc. I think my biggest problem is trying to copy the clothes the people in the brochure are wearing!

PS: you can click on the little smiles to the right when you are replying...

Maryann

Hi Lois and Laughing,

Thank you.

To Lois, you are 100% correct, no malice or judgement intended, you got it. Thank you for understanding.

I don't know anything about Celebrity, I have not taken any "big trips" in I don't know 20 years, my trips consisted of Maine, NYC Vermont, ski vacations but always by car never more than 3 or 4 hours away, those kind of trips. (Not complaining I love those trips and wouldn't trade them) I haven't been in a plane in 18 years. Don't enjoy flying anymore as my ears bother me even in mountains. I called Princess because that's the one I kept seeing advertised for Alaska. I wanted to go 10 years ago but could not afford it without "breaking the bank" so we didn't go. And I didn't like their attitude about it.

Someone I was talking to who had more experience with cruising suggested I look at Radisson. A friend of mine came back from a europen cruise (not luxurey one) and he said, he had "bill shock" on the last day. He could not believe as a single guy, not having gone to any spas how much his bill was plus the tips. So when a person suggested Radisson and I compared prices, it really wasn't a big difference. Radisson gives 1 bottle of your choice of premium alcohol for your in room set up. A bottle of french champagne (doesn't matter hubby is allergic to champagne) Free wine with dinner, some say there is free cocktail with dinner too and digestive included, no tipping and free soft drinks anywhere on the ship, free juice, bottled water, in room and on the ship, they even hand out the bottled water as you are getting off the ship I'm told, and looking at the price comparrison from a similar room on Princess, this was maybe $200 more or even equal. I did such an early booking that I got a really good discount. I had my 4 year checkup last year on June 2nd I think and I came home and booked for this August, knowing it would be 5 years and this was the dream trip of my life to go to Alaska.

To Laughing, thank you also for your kind words and yes, I think the fact that I was very strong willed, helped me get through my "rough days".

Yes, it's nice when we find our "dream trips". I think the line you are going on is if it's Silver Seas? I think that is one of the most luxurious around from what I've been told and it should be amazing.

I personally believe that a trip is what you make it. I remember hubby and I went to this little place for a 3 day weekend. It was spur of the moment, and the whole weekend cost something like $250 (hotel and meals) and I had a great time. Then there was the time I went to a really nice place and had an awful time.

Country Club Casual, I hate that term as it means so many different things these days to so many people, not to mention location of the club (city, state). I read in either Vogue or IN STYLE just recently where when the term "country club casual" is used, be sure to ask as it means something different to Queen Latifah, than to Gwyneth Paltrow or her mom.

I had to buy a few items, like a rain windbreaker, (landend.com) and I bought a zip out lineing 3/4 rain coat (llbean). I also bought a nice "leisure/sweat/jogging suit" to wear on the plane, you know the kind with the rubber waist and strechy cotton. ordered it from bloomingdales.

I'll give you an idea what I'm bringing for my evenings.

1 pr black pants

1 pr beige/kahki pants

1 leopard print blouse long sleeves with rinestone buttons and a few reinstones on the collar.

1 emblished tunic

1 black and white "blazer" with 3/4 sleeves

1 black jacket which is unlined and is not dressy but can be if worn with a nice scarf.

baisc white/pink/black t-shirts to go under the jackets.

1 pr metallic emblished flats and one pair basic ballerina black flats. No evening hand bag.

a pashmina wrap with beads on it (black)

this is all stuff that I owned for my every day/going out attire except for the jogging suits and I would have bought a couple anyway probably for travelling in the car.

For the day, we have 4 shore days and I will be off ship on all days, for the 2-1/2 sea days (one shore day is only half day) my jogging suits/jeans will have to do.

If I had you lovely ladies on my cruise it would be a pleasure to meet you.

Thank you again for your kind words and understanding.

I'm a bit afraid of my cruise, not being able to get off the ship for a day each way. Radisson is not famous for it's "entertainment". I hope I don't feel "trapped".

Anyway thanks for listening to me and responding. I wish everyone "happy cruising" and "happy anniversary" and happy birthday as I see someone is cruising to celebrate a birthday. I love talking to you ladies about clothes.

JP46 & MrsMoose,

I'm certain that no one would flame you for voicing your opinions. Both of you are new posters and so you've never seen some of my prior posts.

About 6 months ago, I took a poll here and asked people if they would do away with formal nights altogether. The poll showed a vast majority here love the formal nights. Like you, Moose, I don't "get it" - all the shopping stress, extra packing, etc. But, the three of us are very much in the minority on this and I certainly accept that most of the people here just adore the formal nights aboard ship.

I don't like the formal nights and would do away with them. It's one of the reason's DH and I like Oceania so much. Every night is country club casual. I tend to dress at the more dressy end of smart casual - meaning that for me, typical dinner attire on Oceania would be a pair of nice pants (i.e. not ones I'd wear w/ a tee during the day) a slightly dressy top (perhaps a silk knit tank top w/ a few clear sequins or some other embellsihment, a silk blouse, or perhaps a sexy halter top), high heeled sandals and a chic evening bag. But these are clothes I already have in my wardrobe and typically wear to restaurants here in NYC. It's my choice. I don't go out and shop for dinner clothes for my cruise. If I buy something new, it's something I can also wear at home. On a cruise, DH typically wears gabardine trousers, an elegant button down shirt (perhaps linen or silk) and a pair of elegant loafers (like Ferragamo) as opposed to topsiders. But again, that's how he dresses for a dinner out here in NYC. Of course, if we lived in Maine, we'd have more casual attire for dinners out.

Here at home, I do have occasions to wear formal attire and DH often wears a suit to work, so he has plenty of them. However, we don't enjoy having to shlep this along in our already overpacked luggage.

That said, on the occasions where we might be on a cruiseline that has formal nights (we've been on Princess & Celebrity), we think it's disrespectful to ignore the suggested dress code and show up in country club attire. If you sign up w/ a cruiseline that has formal nights, go along w/ the program if you want to attend the Captains cocktail party and eat in the dining room. If you don't want to dress up, have dinner in the buffet or less formal dining area. That's our opinion.

Sure, there are different levels of formal and if a man doesn't own a suit or a tux, he shouldn't feel pressured into buying one just for a cruise. But, IMO, he should at least show up in a jacket and tie. That's where some of the friction on this board comes into play. There are men that will show up in a plain shirt and casual pants on formal night with the attitude "it's my vacation and I'll do what I want". I don't want to get that hot topic rolling on this thread, nor do I want to be flamed.....let's just "stick to the facts ma'am", that there are people who go aboard with that attitude.

There are some women who show up on formal night with casual dresses. No one stops them from entering the dining room and no one says anything. I'm sure some of them are comfortable with their choices and some of them made choices out of ignorance. So when I poster here, shows us all a photo of a dress and asks if it's okay for formal night and those of us who have been on cruises say it's best suited for a casual night, it's an opinion. It's telling us that the OP wants to dress at the level that the ship suggests and that she's okay with bringing something more formal. If she thought her casual dress was fine, she wouldn't ask the question in the first place.

Moose, your clothing list for your cruise sounds absolutely perfect! Don't worry about feeling "trapped" on a ship - escpecially on a cruise w/ so much daytime activity. I'm sure at dinner, you'll be comparing experiences with your fellow cruisers and by the time dinner ends, you'll be pooped and ready for bed and looking forward to your next day's activities. My first cruise was our honeymoon 14 years ago. My husband was a fan of cruises and I was so afraid I'd feel trapped on the ship. We cruised on a really small ship that held only 100 passengers maximum and there were only 65 on our cruise in South America. We had a blast - an exciting new port everyday, and never had that "trapped" feeling.

Most of all, I'd like to wish you a BIG BIG BIG congradulations on your 5th anniversary of surviving cancer! I'm overjoyed for you!

Jane

MrsMoose,

My gosh, your packing list is so well coordinated! I'm writing down the suggestions (except for the leopard print- I don't think I could pull it off... )

BTW, we're not going on the SilverSea. :eek: It's the Windstar, the one that looks like a sailing ship. Much more casual crowd, I believe.

For us, there is not much at all in the form of entertainment, which I think will be great. I'm looking forward to reading, relaxing, and re-connecting with my husband.;)

Jane,

You're not alone. I think formal nights should be optional- maybe one restaurant for formal & one restaurant for nice casual. Personally I don't mind, but my husband does. Also I hate having to bring a garment bag.

Maryann

Hi Jane & Laughing,

Thank you for the good wishes (congrats).

I agree with you Jane, and people here if that's the case. Hubby and I would never ever "go against the rules". We didn't want formal we choose another line.

I agree that if it's formal, then that's what it is. I would not walk into a dinner party here that is black tie in anything less so why should I on a ship. It's just not something we would do.

What you wear Jane is exactly what I wear when I go to NYC depding on the resto, I'll wear dress pants or jeans since jeans are so popular for a casual dressing with an emblished top, a pair of manolos or choos. I still follow NYC fashion and sometimes don't blend in here with all the black but it's not bad. Minus the halters, I was never comfortable in them personally but very similar. As for the hubby, he will dress in NYC exactly as your hubby does. My hubby has to wear a suit and tie every day to work, not even sport jacket and slacks are accepted at his work except for casual days in the summer. He is not from NYC and he always asks me what to bring to NYC as I plan all the restos which are booked well in advance of our trip. As you know Babbo, Nobu, Koi, Per Se, Patsis, Spice Market, even Dylan Prime (his personal fav) require advance bookings.

My problem was that they basically told me if you don't do the formal, it's buffet or cafe, since I refuse to eat buffet anywhere, I think they should still have the formal for those who like it, and another "full service" resto for those who don't. I think when split it would be maybe 50/50 or 60/40.

My basic t-ees are for under the blazer/jacket. It's really a nice one that I picked up at Saks, Lafayette 148, black/white not to summery, not to fall line, with dressier black pants, black light weight t- (I prefer the t to the cami) it should be fine for a dressier country club casual evening. I never wear heals, I'm bringing a pair of flat ballet manolos (black) and a pair of miu miu pinkish metallic emblished mocs. The other jacket is unlined Eileen Fisher, black of a nice non-wrinkle fabric (Saks on sale) and with a black basic t, black slacks and a silk scarf should be fine, could also wear with a basic white t, dressy kahkis, different colored scarf.

Kahki colored dressy pants from Ellen Tracy with an emblished pink tunic. I may or may not bring another jacket after reading these posts a tweedy pinkish one with the fringes, the ones you see all over NYC. (that's where it's from, lol). I don't shop where I live, nothing to buy I either order off the net or go down. Actually save money doing it too, as I'm not in the stores and no impulse buying week to week, lol.

I only have 6 nights on board for dinner as one night I will be eating in Juneau. The ship is in port till about 11pm so I've booked a dinner in Juneau which is a "tourist excursion thing",

Jeans is the standard dress of Alaska so Jeans it will be for the daytime. Hubby didn't even own a pair and I made him order a pair from LL Bean as he is 6'4" and he has to have all his suits/shirts made as they don't carry his size here and he would never have found jeans, so he just ordered a basic pair from LL Bean as he hates them and will most likely never wear them again.

To Laughing, trust me, you could wear this leopard blouse. It's very understated, it has tiny rinestone buttons (another Saks purchase) and because of those buttons and a few little rinestones (very very small) on the color it gives it a more dressed up look. With dressy black pants it's something anyone could wear.

I really hate the country club casual term these days. It's so much to so many. In my opinion it's to loose a term for clothing these days. Hubby's office had a similar problem, when they instituted casual fridays, they were thinking, polo shirt, or sport jacket no tie, casual dress pants for the men, for women kahki pants, sandels, no hose, what they got was the run of the mill, they got torn jeans, t-shirts with writing on it (that would be in appropriate under polite company anywhere), they had to send out a note explaining what was acceptable and what was not and if the rules were not adhered to, they would do away with the casual fridays. Hubby's idea of casual is like your husband's Jane, but some people took it to new heights from what he told me, especially on the t-shirt writings.

The only time anyone is ever allowed to wear jeans in his office is on Denim Day. I asked him to do it at his office and the president of the firm said ok, but maybe no denim and just a casual day instead of the denim. The ladies screamed bloody murder so he allowed the jeans (but in good condition) since it was a charity thing.

But coming back to the dress codes, I really think that they should be more specific on the country club casual. Even Vouge or was it IN STYLE said, "ask what country club casual means" Queen Latifah has one meaning of the term and Gwyenth Paltrow or her mom will have another meaning. I think that the age of a passenger and the shore destinations also would determine the "dress" style. When I'm in NYC, I will dress differently for the day as I will in Alaska. I also don't think for Alaska they are specific enough for "outerwear" but I did seperate research on that.

To Laughing, I think you will do just fine with the clothing. Like Jane, I didn't have to buy much.

I love it here, I love talking about fashion and shopping and clothes. My fav thing. I'll be in NYC hopefully 3-1/2 weeks after I get back from my Alaska cruise. Already bought some theatre ticks. Would you believe, I live in a cold climate and hubby can't buy a winter coat that is "dressy" for work here in his size.

Hubby's parents went on Crystal and SilverSea, they loved the formal/black tie nights. For them it was full formal attire like from the Titanic style evening dress especially for his mom, she was really into it. She made the best dressed list here many times over in her younger days. She never understood my "casual ways". Hubby hates it. Jacket and tie was always a requirement for dineing out with his parents and he never got it either when he was in a more casual resto for sunday brunch, he would still be expected to wear a sport jacket and tie. His mom's idea of casual and mine were way different, lol.

Gotta tell you ladies a funny story about dress up, we were at a restaurant where jacket and tie were mandatory here with his parents. It was summer but it got really cold and we were sitting outside on a terrace. Hubby being a gentleman took off his jacket and put it around my shoulders. No one balked, since he walked in wearing the jacket and it was "galant". Well his dad, didn't accept it, ordered me to give back the jacket and I refused (hubby had a long sleeved shirt on and wasn't cold). He ordered the matre d' to bring me a waiters jacket to put around my shoulders so that my husband could return to wearing his jacket with tie and be appropriety dressed. Even the matre d' told him it was not a problem since he entered in a jacket and tie, and it was for obvious reasons, and that removing the jacket was well within their dress code policy just as if he would be allowed to remove it on a hot summer's night for comfort. But his father persisted and he won since he was a regular and good client of the place they honored his request.

I am hopeing you are right about the cruise. I am scared about feeling trapped. Hubby went on a cruise years ago when he was about 19 with his family and their friends and children, it was a charted thing, just 25 people all who knew each other cruising the Greek Islands and he got really violently sea sick. I've bought those sailor bands and some Bonnie for him just in case.

All you ladies are so nice here, I'm glad no one misunderstood my statements.

To Laughing, your trip sounds wonderful, what a way to have quality time with the hubby.

Moose,

Sounds like we like a lot of the same clothing companies. My favorite tee's are from Petit Bateau. They sell in Sak's and Barney's and have their own shop on Madison Ave. Their basic short sleeved tee is $30.00 here, but I'm lucky enough to get to Paris about 2 times a year so I stock up there, where they sell for anywhere from $10-$15. depending on the exchange rate. They're basic, but their cotton is so nice, their colors very rich and don't fade and I love their fit.

I LOVED the story about your in-laws and you dh's jacket on your shoulders. Now I understand why he felt trapped on a cruise-ship. Traveling with them........he was! LOL!!!

I agree that Country Club Casual is a phrase that doesn't say what it is. However, I view it as an expression of what it's NOT. Meaning, that it implies you don't need a jacket and tie, but don't come in shorts and tee's either. (i mean a casual daytime tee, not a pretty Lafayette 148 one) Anything in between in usually fine, depending on the cruiseline. On Radisson, it'll be a well heeled group and your attire sounds just perfect.

In your post, you refer to dining "here" in your hometown. However, under your name, it doesn't indicate where you live. So where's home for you now?

I see that you said you'll be in NYC after your cruise. Though I gather you're up on the latest restaurants, if you'd like some suggestions on some of my faves, feel free to ask. It's probably best to post in another section - either pre-post cruise, or United States section. That way, we'll avoid too much thread drift here and you can get some opinions from others as well.

Jane

Hi Jane,

Oh sorry, my hubby is french canadian, I moved to Montreal .

I would love to hear your fav restos in NYC, perhaps we can talk private? I can post my e-mail if you like.

I love your t-shirts, will have to look for them next time. Yes, I think we do like the same type of clothing designers and perhaps even style.

I love fashion, shopping, etc etc.

MrsMoose: Just a few comments about Radsisson and Alaska.

Your jeans and athletics will be fine on land and for sea days. I have always found that layers in Alaska work best for the changing weather. I gravititate towards athletic wear as I do not like jeans and I have a lot of cute and functional athletic type attire in my wardrobe. Bring a waterproof mid thigh length jacket. Mine has a removable hood and it came in handy when it rained. If you are doing excursions that involve being out on a glacier, dog sledding, etc., bring appropriate footwear.

I enjoyed my Radisson cruises but was pretty bored during sea days when the weather was not conducive to laying out by the pool and also at night because the options are pretty limited. Both cruises were on Diamond which is their smallest - and soon to be sold - ship so you may fare better. I love to read so if you do as well, I would bring books with you. It will be much more low key than the larger ships so if you are prepared, you will be fine.

As far as country club casual, I would comment that passengers on RSSC are an upscale lot and their attire reflected that. Even during the day there was an obvious difference in casual attire from what you will see on mainstrean lines. At dinner, passengers in general are very well dressed.

I do think we each have our own individual style. For any cruise, I always pack smartly elegant clothes for dinner, except for formal nights. I dress as if I were going to a nice restaurant in NY or SFO. For me, that means a couple of silk jersey wrap dresses worn with heels and evening bag, a pair of dressy black slacks paired with an embellished twin set or dressy top, and pretty skirts with tops. I wear heels every evening and would likely opt for mules in Alaska rather than sandals, due to the weather. I also pack a little black dress that is simple and elegant and dress it up with accessories and jewelry.

Just one thing I do think you should add to your list: an evening bag.

Alaska is quite beautiful and the food and service aboard Radission is outstanding IME. Have a wonderful trip!

kim

To Lois, thank you for the compliment.

Hubby refused to go to Alaska with a tuxedo or even a suit. Can't say I blame him either. Personally I think the whole formal night thing is silly, I mean I understand formal for an award ceremony, a special occasion event, fund raiser, something special, but on a cruise, the same ship with the same restaurant decides that tonight is formal for no special reason. I just don't get it. I really don't.

This is my 5 year breast cancer survivor cruise. I've always wanted to go to Alaska for as long as I can remember even back to childhood, so I'm finally supposed to go, the last thing I need is to worry about what I'm going to wear. I mean to a certain extent you have to plan, to be warm, bring the right clothes/shoes for the climate, and to conform to the dress code of the ship but to worry about fitting in, just can't do it. Maybe I'm wrong, but if someone isn't going to like me because I'm not wearing what they consider to be the "right attire" well then I guess I would not want them to like me anyway. Bottom line, wear what makes you happy as long as it's within the guidelines and have a great time on your cruise and happy anniversary too to the lady celebrating and anyone else too.,

I laughed when I read your comment about "same ship, same restaurant". You've put in words what has been bugging me about formal nights all along. It kind of reminds me of when I was in HS and the big homecoming dance was held in our cafeteria. No amount of crepe paper could take away the thoughts that we were spending hundreds of dollars to dress up to go to the cafeteria that still smelled like the school lunch we ate that afternoon! LOL

I think another issue with me is the thought of getting myself, 2 10 year old boys and hubby ready for the "big" night in our little cabin. The whole "pampering" component is lost in the shuffle and it ends up being stressful. So we'll go with the flow and see how it all plays out. We'll be prepared for formal night if we decide to go but if we don't, it will be our doing. No expectations,no disappointment, NO STRESS!

We're cruising RCCL. I don't tend to plan our activities around meals so if we're engaged in something one evening, I don't forsee us stopping to get dressed up for the dining room so we'll eat elsewhere. We are cruising with children so that is a big factor in that decision. We have to go with the flow. We also booked an aft balcony cabin so I've been thinking a nice late dinner out there, while the kids are out with one of our other family members would be very romantic. :D

It's wonderful to hear about your positive outlook on life and survival. To you and all the other posters on here, take care of yourself and enjoy your travels in good health!

Hi Caviar, thank you so much, this is so helpful. I do enjoy reading a lot so I will bring books. I generally order from Amazon and my friend and I exchange books as we like the same type so if we spend half as much as if we were buying alone so I have about 3 books that I have not read and will bring those. I'm not a pool person, so that was never an option. I did plan on going to the spa for a few treats to fill up the time. We don't gamble so the casino is out for us. I'm going on the Mariner, 700 people if it's completely full and Radisson told me about a month ago that there were only about 10 cabins left.

As for the clothing advice, thank you so much. I don't wear many dresses only in the summer, as I hate the hose, and to be honest my feet just can't take the heals anymore. I will add an extra jacket, that I got on the net from neiman marcus. Pink/beige with the fringe that is popular it looks nice with black and my beige dress kahkis, I shouldn't even call them kahkis as they are just plain lightweight beige dress pants.

As for heals, can't do it, I envy all the ladies who can, they look so smart with pants and even jeans but it's not for me anymore.

Here where I live, what's funny is that it runs the gambit, you can go the the nicest resto in town and see people in jeans and sneakers and the "juicy style suites" and no one bats an eye and the restos don't care. No one seems to care.

I'm bringing the emblished tops. Don't know about the evening bag though, I'll bring what I call an "inbetween" bag, not evening, but not "casual", I call them dress day/dinner bags but not for formal wear.

I did the planning for the trip, hubby said I could since it's my 5 year celebration trip and he generally lets me plan as he knows I have more time to devote to the planning but he said, "no formal wear" and please try to get a smaller ship.

We both wanted "low-key". The shore excursions is most imporant to us.

I'm not walking on the glacier, as that was a problem, they would not take us with hubby's camera bag. No biggie so many other choices.

I hope no one minds, but I'll tell you what I'm doing, and any advice re clothing or anything would be appreciated.

Misty Fijords Float Plane and a tour of the totems and Dolly's House and shopping in Ketchikan

In Juneau, it was actually the same price to get a private car and driver than take the "group tour" to go to the Mendenhal glacer and then I booked the gold panning and salmon bake dinner so one night I will be eating dinner off the ship. I had to choose between Takau Lodge or gold panning and the gold panning won out as I always wanted to do it as a laugh.

Skagway, we are takeing the fast ferry to Haines to go to the eagle preserve and bear viewing (booked privately) then a quick tour of the Red Onion upstairs (I hear it's haunted) and a bit of shopping.

Sitka, Hubby is doing the sea otter and wildlife quest and I plan on just touring Sitka alone, last change to do a bit of "gift shopping". Last day before we have to go back on the ship for a day and a half and I will want to call my mom and have some time to chat with her hopefully.

A lot of my choices were also chosen to be sure to have enough time to call my mom in each port as she is 90 years old, and has no one else besides me in the whole world. I'm sorry if I'm a bit off topic, but I listed my excursions so that any advice help I can get is so much appreciated.

You ladies are wonderful, I'm so nervous about this trip, I'm afraid I'm going to make myself sick before I go and any advice is so much appreciated.

I feel that out of respect to other people I should wear the "appropriate attire" keeping my own comfort at the same time. If I wear a pair of heals, I won't be able to walk on the shore excursions the next day, lol, so my ballet flats will have to do, lol.

Y'all are being so nice and helpful, thank you so much, I'm getting so nervous here, I have butterflys in my stomach.

Thanks for listening to me and helping me.

Y'all are being so nice and helpful, thank you so much, I'm getting so nervous here, I have butterflys in my stomach.

Thanks for listening to me and helping me.

I always enjoy the planning and anticipation almost as much as the cruise! Don't be nervous just look forward to a great experience.

The floatplane is quite spectacular and all of the excursions you have planned sound like fun. Ours was a bit of a rough ride and the skies were sunny; our pilot put us immediately at ease. We landed on a glacial lake and stopped for a time to walk around.

Ketchikan is easy to walk around in as is Skagway and there are shops and cafes everywhere should you need a break from the walking.

There will be onboard lecturers who will point out many interesting points of interest that you may not notice on your own as well as share the history of the totems, etc. On my first Alaska cruise, I was disapppointed as it rained every day and many plans I made were cancelled due to weather. Also, I am an outdoor person so did not like having to be indoors so much. But the last three were quite wonderful!

Hi caviar,

thank you, What you wrote, made me happy with my choices of shore excursions, as the only one that has a chance to get cancelled for weather is the misty fiords floatplane. the fast ferry to Haines goes and so does the "tour" same thing with the gold panning salmon bake as it's "covered"/outdoor dining/show,

I was a bit concerned with weather, and the white pass railroad I read that if it's foggy, rainy or cloudy you don't see much and no animals so I passed on that one.

I did purchase a rain jacket, very light weight with hood and I purchased a zip out lining 3/4 rain coat with hood, both black. I have a "fleecy" style zip jacket that I use for spring skiing which is charcoal color which fits nicely under the rain jacket/windbreaker. I have silk termals for when I ski, and I figure daytime tees, short/long sleeves with a sweat shirt/sweat jacket. I'm also bringing a lightweight silk sweater (v neck pullover) (ellen tracy this past spring, Saks) that looks nice with jeans or black pants for a casual look.

I have camper shoes and I bought a pair of pumas for daytime, plus I'm wearing my Diors (this spring) which are a sneaker shoe on the plane plus for daytime on the ship as I feel the campers and pumas are a bit to casual for daytime sea days. Evening shoos will be one pair emblished metallic (miu miu this spring) and one pair black manolo ballet flats. I bought from bloomingdales catalog a 3 piece "jogging suit" grey/yellow but it's cute and will wear that on the plane and another one in beige/pink 3 piece from neiman marcus.com to rotate on the 2 sea days. For alaska shore I'm bringing 2 pr jeans with daytime tees and a couple of night tees

What do you think? I have a light blue cashmere twinset, embelished with sworski crystals (last fall Saks) sleeveless under part with 3/4 sleeve for the the top layer, will that be too warm? I wear that with black slacks and ballet flats when I go out for a dressy dinner look, but the fabric being end of aug has me thinking maybe it's a bit to early?

What do y'all think?

Y'all helping so much, just writing is helping to keep me calm. I've never been so nervous for a trip in my whole life. I think the last time I was this nervous and worked up was my first day of chemo.

Moose,

I've never been to Alaska nor have I been on Radisson so can't make specific comments. I have been on Oceania, which is always "country Club Casual" and pretty much draws the same type of crowd that Radisson does. (you agree caviar girl?)

If you have any questions about your shore excursion choices, you might try posting them either in the Radisson section or in the Alaska section to get some more feedback.

I think the baby blue cashmere twinset sounds perfect and I don't think that the end of August is too early to wear it. If it's warm, you can take off the cardigan, but often ships can be chilly, so you may be happy to have it. I'm a big fan of twin sets because I'm one of those people that's always chilly. So I always pack some twinsets along with a couple of pashmina shawls and then cotton or linen shawls if I'm travelling to a hot weather climate.

As Caviargirl said, and I agree, don't be nervous! You're going to have a FABULOUS time! You obvious have great taste in clothes and seem to have prepared just the perfect balance for daytime shore excusrions as well as for evenings on the ship. Besides, they DO have stores in Alaska! :)

Relax!

Jane

Hi Jane,

Lol, thanks, I will be in some of those stores too, regardless of how much I pack, I remember hubby and I went on a trip and the brochure of the "resort town" said, "one of the favorite things is going in and out of the shops". I was so depressed, there were 4 shops, (no clothing, except for a couple and I do mean a couple of t-shirts). I did all the shops 4 times and was still board. The evening at our hotel (the largest one) entertaiment was a piano bar, we went at 5:45 for pre dinner cocktails, the pianst stopped at 6 and I asked how long was his "break", I was informed he is finished for the evening. We were the entertainment for a single mom as she came to sit with us and she was board to tears just came over and sat with us and chat as she said she needed "adult company" and we looked friendly.

Thank you everyone for all your good advice. I'm good with the shore excursions, not worried there.

Thanks for the compliment on my taste in clothes, I like to think so, but never know. I still think and dress like a NYer.

I also think the twinset is a great choice. It sounds very pretty and I really like twinsets for ships because I normally am cold but if I am in an area that is warmer, it is easy to simply to take off the outer layer. And I am with Jane that cashmere for August in Alaska is perfect as it would be in many places.

I am a fan of lightweight silks and that it is my first choice for layering. Your daytime wear sounds perfect.

Jane, yes, I do agree that Oceania and RSSC draw the same demographic. I found the passengers to be well travelled, fairly sophisticated and appreciative of good food and personal service. My stateroom on Radisson was simply fabulous and the one night I ordered room service for dinner - I was recovering from food poisoning, a gift from a tavern in Mykonos - it was served on the balcony, course by course. There was a library of CDs to choose from which also came in handy when I was down for a full day. And the house wines served with lunch and dinner were surprisingly good with enough variety to keep me happy!

I did choose White Star RR on my Alaska trip last June and I was rewarded with a perfectly gorgeous day! The train was great and we saw bear, moose and mountain goats along with glaciers, lakes and breathtaking scenery. Put it on your list for next trip!

Archived