Ebola Threat

Responder

I,too, have to state as others have that my disappointment and lack of respect for Regent as a corporate entity focuses on their lack if communication to passengers regarding this issue. They don't have to read CC they could just track phone calls received regarding this matter.

Perhaps they believe the flood of new passengers from NCL will make up for any lost. We usually have a couple of regent cruises planned or on a wish list. Not so this time. Our January cruise was just booked on Seabourn. I didn't think anything could pry us loose from Regent but this may do it. We absolutely love the ship experience, the crew and the passengers but the business end of it is a little frightening.

Edited by Eager2Travel

Norwegian Cruise Line Responds to Discriminatory Actions by the Tunisian Government

Miami - Mar 11, 2014 ---

The government of Tunisia refused to allow Israeli nationals the right to disembark Norwegian Jade in the Port of La Goulette, Tunis on Sunday, March 9, 2014. In response to this discriminatory act, Norwegian Cruise Line announced today that it has cancelled all remaining calls to Tunisia and will not return.

"We want to send a strong message to Tunisia and ports around the world that we will not tolerate such random acts of discrimination against our guests," said Kevin Sheehan, Norwegian Cruise Line's CEO. "We are outraged by this act and the fact that we were not notified in advance of this practice. We apologize sincerely to our guests who were affected and want them to know that we have taken the appropriate action in response."

Norwegian Cruise Line employs more than 90 different nationalities and welcomes people of all nationalities aboard its vessels. The Company does not condone or tolerate discrimination of any type and with these cancellations hopes to send a message to those who do that such acts are completely unacceptable.

This is from a press release in March of 2014.

Hopefully with new ownership (NCL), Regent will have a more positive attitude toward customer concerns.

I had not heard about NCL and Tunisia before, but with NCL buying Prestige that should mean that Regent and Oceanis will skip all future visits to La Goulette. Our June 1 Roviera cruise still lists that port.

Aloha to any RSSC employees who might be reading this thread. Could someone, whether an intern, employee in Miami, cruise director or anyone with the ability to contact upper management, please ask them to simply communicate with their customers regarding the cruise with the scheduled stop in Senegal? I would like to see Regent behave like the company we all want them to be. We like you Regent, but you are really not acting like the first-class company we know you can be from the experience many of us have had aboard your ships.

At this point, this situation seems to be a graduate seminar in poor corporate communications. Regent spends millions of dollars every year on advertising, aimed at both new and existing customers, and yet here they are allowing something that could be addressed very easily, at little or no cost to Regent, to adversely affect their image in the eyes of both current and perspective passengers.

If what I have read on this board from passengers currently booked on this cruise is true, (and I have no reason to believe that it is not), different passengers have contacted different TA's, and they have received different answers to their questions concerning the itinerary, and these answers are all ostensibly from Regent. This is really the worst case scenario in communications and makes the company look really bad.

In my lifetime, I do not remember any US President ordering 3,000 troops into a region to combat an infectious disease. At present, even the US news networks, which in my view have abysmal coverage of international news, especially African news, are reporting on this event; thus, there is much discussion about the Ebola outbreak, and people are paying more attention to the issue. For this reason, it makes perfect sense that Regent passengers are concerned.

Whether or not it is safe to dock in Senegal is almost a mute point here. With travel restrictions now in place at another port on this itinerary, it is obvious that a change in itinerary will have to be made. So, unless there is some compelling financial reason not to do so, I can not understand why Regent corporate won't contact their passengers, reassure them of their commitment to passenger and crew safety, and perhaps let them know that they are working on changes/contingency plans for the itinerary. This could help reassure passengers and at least let them know that they are on top of the situation.

We serve between 6-800 guests per day in our small business in Hawaii, and if even 1% of my guests contacted us with concerns for their safety while visiting our town/shop, I would certainly respond as quickly as possible.

Please Regent if you are reading this, contact your customers, reassure them, and be the first-class company we all know that you can be!

Aloha from Hanalei,

Mark

Edited by HanaleiSailor

borntocruz,

her buddy Frank Del Rio made one of his rare appearances on this board to say; “TravelCat2 comments are more often than not, disturbing, and more importantly, not true, and this case regarding air travel is no exception.”

So, I don’t think she is being rewarded for her “cheerleading.”

So glad that you found that post. Too bad that you didn't find the one after it where FDR followed up that post - after we spoke on the telephone. That post is actually how we got to know each other. I called him -- we spoke for a long time -- he made an additional post (which is there for anyone who cares to find it) but is quoted below:

"I did ask TRAVELCAT2 to call me as oftentimes, communicating via text/email one's intent is lost or misinterpreted.

I was glad we chatted.

She has the best of intentions, both from the traveler's perspective and for the cruiseline. I urged her to continue 'taking us to task', as I find these Boards to be the best unfiltered forum for us to learn what guests are really thinking and really experiencing onboard our wonderful ships

It seems today we'll be able to get a good number of folks who have been stranded in Venice and in Barcelona (Oceania's Insignia) home. Probably won't be until Friday that everyone gets home, but I can't think of many other places I'd rather be stranded than Venice and Barcelona.

I want again thank TRAVELCAT2 for her dedication to these boards, and to everyone who is so passionate about cruising and Regent Seven Seas in particular.

All the Best

FDR"

The above really illustrates what can happen with miscommunication. There was someone on the Regent board the weekend the volcano in Iceland erupted (3 or so years ago). He seemed frantic -- was stranded someplace in route to Barcelona and did not know what to do. He called Regent repeatedly and could not get through (for obvious reasons -- everyone was calling Regent that was affected by the grounded planes). I felt badly for the poster and posted the subject 'REGENT, WHERE ARE YOU"? I said that Regent was apparently closed for the weekend. I did make the statements that Responder quoted (but they were not in a special color or in bold -- just regular print). It was a most upsetting time. However, what I posted - something passed on by a third person that was not true. As I have always said, when I make mistake, I admit it. And, this was a big one (but an example of calling Regent onto the carpet when I feel they deserve to be).

I've always been grateful that this misunderstanding happened or we would not be friends today. BTW, today is a very special birthday for FDR and I'm sure we all wish him much happiness now and in the future.

P.S. We are treated well onboard due to the friendships that we have made over the last 10 1/2 years and 18 cruises. Our Platinum status gives us benefits as well. I know other people (that post on the Regent board) that have also established friendships and are Platinum and Titanium Seven Seas Society members.

I keep trying to get back on track -- the subject of the Ebola. Regent indicated that they will make a decision next week. Perhaps the nagging can stop for a few days.

Edited by Travelcat2

So glad that you found that post. Too bad that you didn't find the one after it where FDR followed up that post - after we spoke on the telephone. That post is actually how we got to know each other. I called him -- we spoke for a long time -- he made an additional post (which is there for anyone who cares to find it) but is quoted below:

"I did ask TRAVELCAT2 to call me as oftentimes, communicating via text/email one's intent is lost or misinterpreted.

I was glad we chatted.

She has the best of intentions, both from the traveler's perspective and for the cruiseline. I urged her to continue 'taking us to task', as I find these Boards to be the best unfiltered forum for us to learn what guests are really thinking and really experiencing onboard our wonderful ships

It seems today we'll be able to get a good number of folks who have been stranded in Venice and in Barcelona (Oceania's Insignia) home. Probably won't be until Friday that everyone gets home, but I can't think of many other places I'd rather be stranded than Venice and Barcelona.

I want again thank TRAVELCAT2 for her dedication to these boards, and to everyone who is so passionate about cruising and Regent Seven Seas in particular.

All the Best

FDR"

/B]

The above really shows what can happen with miscommunication. There was someone on the Regent board the weekend the volcano in Iceland erupted (3 or so years ago). He seemed frantic -- was stranded someplace in route to Barcelona and did not know what to do. He called Regent repeatedly and could not get through (for obvious reasons -- everyone was calling Regent that was affected by the grounded planes). I felt badly for the poster and posted the subject 'REGENT, WHERE ARE YOU"? I said that Regent was apparently closed for the weekend. I did make the statements that Responder quoted. It was a most unsetting time. However, what I posted - something passed on by a third person was not true. As I have always said, when I make mistake, I admit it. And, this was a big one (but an example of calling Regent onto the carpet when I feel they deserve to be).

I've always been grateful that this misunderstanding happened or we would not be friends today. BTW, today is a very special birthday for FDR and I'm sure we all wish him much happiness now and in the future.

You evidently never read post 250 in this thread where your comments about Regent not responding were quoted.

If FDR were truly interested and concerned about what his passengers were thinking, he would not have ignored this thread with 255 replies and 14,398 views that has been running since Aug 4.

You really do have an answer for everything, but you selectively pick and choose only what will appear to be in your favor.

Ultimately, when Regent does respond, you will thank them profusely and say, see I told you they cared.

You evidently never read post 250 in this thread where your comments about Regent not responding were quoted.

If FDR were truly interested and concerned about what his passengers were thinking, he would not have ignored this thread with 255 replies and 14,398 views that has been running since Aug 4.

You really do have an answer for everything, but you selectively pick and choose only what will appear to be in your favor.

Ultimately, when Regent does respond, you will thank them profusely and say, see I told you they cared.

Your post doesn't make a lot of sense because Regent has no responsibility whatsoever to respond to this thread. I neither thank nor belittle Regent for taking their time to make a decision. Their responsibility is to the passengers on this particular cruise. They will be notified as soon as a decision is made. Can't be much plainer than that.

Admittedly, there have been a couple of times on this thread that I'd hoped Regent would respond -- not because they have to but to end this back and forth discussion. At the end of the day, I am happy that they did not respond because this could set a precedence and could cause more threads like this. I doubt if many people would want to encourage the behavior shown on this thread (by just about everyone).

P.S. Of the 255 replies, how many of them had any substance other than to criticize one another? Like someone else posted, it sounds like a bunch of 4 year olds. IMO, this post and my reply should not even have been made as these opinions have been made repeatedly.

Edited by Travelcat2

gnomie1, I agree with your post #242 (didn't copy it here since it is long and this thread is pages and pages already).

It is appalling that Regent can't be bothered to respond at this point. It is quite disrespectful of passengers and to me simply makes Regent appear arrogant and incompetent. I know of no PR principal that suggests it is wise to let something like this fester. What can they possibly be thinking they are doing?

Please Regent if you are reading this, contact your customers, reassure them, and be the first-class company we all know that you can be!

Aloha from Hanalei,

Aloha Mark, I liked your message. I don't know if any Regent people follow this message board. I suggest that if you can research the web and find some email or snail mail address you might want to try sending them your latest message. If you can't find Regent management you might want to try NCL. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Jerry

Aloha Mark, I liked your message. I don't know if any Regent people follow this message board. I suggest that if you can research the web and find some email or snail mail address you might want to try sending them your latest message. If you can't find Regent management you might want to try NCL. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Jerry

Emails of Regent management are all over the place on CC. Mr. Kamlani's email address is kkamlani@prestigecruiseholdings.com .

In terms of NCL, they would be clueless as to what Regent is doing -- it is at least a few weeks before that deal closes.

Emails of Regent management are all over the place on CC. Mr. Kamlani's email address is kkamlani@prestigecruiseholdings.com .

I have Mr Kamlani's address, but since I am not on this cruise, I do not feel that I should contact him directly. If anyone would like to use anything I've written here to send along to Regent with their message, feel free to do so.

Aloha,

Mark

Mark I want to express my appreciation to you for taking the time and expending the effort to try and get Regent to respond.

It is heartwarming to me to see CC people not on this cruise understanding what some of those on it are experiencing. Many have tried to be helpful. None of us want to be disappointed with our chosen cruise line

I have Mr Kamlani's address, but since I am not on this cruise, I do not feel that I should contact him directly. If anyone would like to use anything I've written here to send along to Regent with their message, feel free to do so.

Aloha,

Mark

Mark....

I am on this cruise..

I mentioned in some previous posts that I emailed him twice already and got a response from the director of reservations...

The response in essence said..."Don't call us, we'll call you."

Agree HanaleiSailor!

Since I'm into research, I decided to find out how many passengers from Roll Call are posting on this thread and/or if they expressing concern on Roll Call. the following list has not made any reference to Ebola (that I could find) on Roll Call but discusses the Meet & Greet, Bridge playing, etc. They have not posted on this thread: (forgive misspellings of "names" -- sometimes I can't read my own handwriting:-)

calicokat

caribcruzer

Dr.P

eandp

flossie009

golfer21

grapestake

jury1934

jdreyfuss

LadyVol1

SFBill

shrm34

thealohastate

The Hawks

Yellow VW

Most of the following posters are on Roll call only - not on this thread but have made 1-3 posts regarding Dakar.

alainc10 (2 posts - expressed concern)

BB from CA (will be disappointed if Dakar is removed as a port)

bigboofer (agrees with BB from CA)

Etual324 (posted a couple of links to articles/video)

mrset425 (linked one article about Ebola)

oceannurse - 1 post expressing concern

rmorris (or lrmorris - sorry) - 1 post on Roll Call asking about refueling in Dakar

The posters on this thread and Roll Call that appear the most upset with Regent and the stop in Dakar.

Cruisin7

Eager2Travel

Kennicott

Responder

Worldtravel7878

So, it appears that we have 15 posters that have not expressed an opinion one way or the other. 2 posters that are hoping to go to Dakar. and 1 poster simply asking about refueling in Dakar.

Next are 4 posters that have made one or two posts with a concern about Dakar. Finally there are 5 posters that have extreme concerns about going to this port and the lack of response from Regent.

Again, sorry for misspellings and if I missed anyone or anything that would change these results, I apologize.

Although I am not minimizing the concerns that these five posters have, we are only talking about a handful of people. The rest of the back and forth postings have been from people with opinions (like myself) but not people on this cruise.

Just as someone commented that the posting FDR made a few years ago should have been done in private, I suggest that this thread might have caused less problems if it had stayed on Roll Call. My opinion, of course.

Edited by Travelcat2

TC,

The issue now, I believe, is that Regent's unwillingness to communicate with passengers on this cruise has created a negative impression of the company.

I am running a business, so I do not have time to go back and count individual instances of people commenting about how this situation has negatively affected the way that they view Regent; however, from memory, I recall that one poster claims to have cancelled a Regent cruise as a result of this situation and a number of posters have indicated that they will hold off bookings until they see how Regent deals with it. This is not good.

And, remember, in general, for every posting that is made on any forum, there are a far greater number of readers. In my experience, this goes for customers calling a company as well. For every concerned caller, there are many others thinking about/worried about the situation but who just do not call.

As written above, I count myself as one Regent customer who is really disappointed about this poor communication on Regent's part. I am sure that there are a good number of others. With all of the news coverage of the situation in Africa, there is simply no way to spin Regent's lack of communication in a positive manner.

I want Regent to be a great company, and from my experience, this is simply not the way a great company interacts with its customers.

Aloha,

Mark

TC,

The issue now, I believe, is that Regent's unwillingness to communicate with passengers on this cruise has created a negative impression of the company.

I am running a business, so I do not have time to go back and count individual instances of people commenting about how this situation has negatively affected the way that they view Regent; however, from memory, I recall that one poster claims to have cancelled a Regent cruise as a result of this situation and a number of posters have indicated that they will hold off bookings until they see how Regent deals with it. This is not good.

And, remember, in general, for every posting that is made on any forum, there are a far greater number of readers. In my experience, this goes for customers calling a company as well. For every concerned caller, there are many others thinking about/worried about the situation but who just do not call.

As written above, I count myself as one Regent customer who is really disappointed about this poor communication on Regent's part. I am sure that there are a good number of others. With all of the news coverage of the situation in Africa, there is simply no way to spin Regent's lack of communication in a positive manner.

I want Regent to be a great company, and from my experience, this is simply not the way a great company interacts with its customers.

Aloha,

Mark

There's no use trying to argue(debate) with her.

She has this fixation with being the surrogate voice of Regent and has also proclaimed herself as a researcher.

Don't try to ruffle her security blanket. As I said, at the point in time when Regent finally figures out what to say, she will offer her explanation on that as well.

Sorry, but, this thread was supposed reflect only what those on this sailing were thinking and feeling. Instead, we have someone telling us how we are supposed to feel. I thought only Psychologists did that.

I now am aware that my comments are being counted on a public board and presented in a summary. My partication on a roll call is being scrutinized. Perhaps I was naive to not realize this could occur but it leaves me uncomfortable. I think It is time for me to stop posting.

Thanks to everyone for their help and support.

Agree HanaleiSailor!

Since I'm into research, I decided to find out how many passengers from Roll Call are posting on this thread and/or if they expressing concern on Roll Call. the following list has not made any reference to Ebola (that I could find) on Roll Call but discusses the Meet & Greet, Bridge playing, etc. They have not posted on this thread: (forgive misspellings of "names" -- sometimes I can't read my own handwriting:-)

calicokat

caribcruzer

Dr.P

eandp

flossie009

golfer21

grapestake

jury1934

jdreyfuss

LadyVol1

SFBill

shrm34

thealohastate

The Hawks

Yellow VW

Most of the following posters are on Roll call only - not on this thread but have made 1-3 posts regarding Dakar.

alainc10 (2 posts - expressed concern)

BB from CA (will be disappointed if Dakar is removed as a port)

bigboofer (agrees with BB from CA)

Etual324 (posted a couple of links to articles/video)

mrset425 (linked one article about Ebola)

oceannurse - 1 post expressing concern

rmorris (or lrmorris - sorry) - 1 post on Roll Call asking about refueling in Dakar

The posters on this thread and Roll Call that appear the most upset with Regent and the stop in Dakar.

Cruisin7

Eager2Travel

Kennicott

Responder

Worldtravel7878

So, it appears that we have 15 posters that have not expressed an opinion one way or the other. 2 posters that are hoping to go to Dakar. and 1 poster simply asking about refueling in Dakar.

Next are 4 posters that have made one or two posts with a concern about Dakar. Finally there are 5 posters that have extreme concerns about going to this port and the lack of response from Regent.

Again, sorry for misspellings and if I missed anyone or anything that would change these results, I apologize.

Although I am not minimizing the concerns that these five posters have, we are only talking about a handful of people. The rest of the back and forth postings have been from people with opinions (like myself) but not people on this cruise.

Just as someone commented that the posting FDR made a few years ago should have been done in private, I suggest that this thread might have caused less problems if it had stayed on Roll Call. My opinion, of course.

Some people keep a low profile whereas some are in to all forums. I have sent 2 e mails to FDR and one to KKamlan concering the Ebola situation as it pertains to this cruise and fellow passengers. So here is what I think of your survey I CONVEY MY THOUGHTS IN A QUIET MANNER.

Where do you come off critiquing any thing about this. You do not know about anyone fears or health circumstance as it relates to this subject because only some express their view doesn't mean that all are not concerned, or how about the folks who saved a long time for thier one and only cruise experiance and are quietly terrified.

Not everyone needs a soap box. Someone once said go softly buy carry a big stick

As to this forum there is so much banter its like watching the View on TV.

Regent did not become a great cruise line by doing STUPID things.

If I am wrong than I will be eating HUMBLE PIE for 21 days

Peace everyone.:confused:

Mark - I totally agree with your observation/s regarding how Regent interacts (or doesn't) with it's customers.

In the relatively limited time that I've been following CC's RSS Board, I've seen countless instances where I believe Regent really missed an opportunity to have "shined", been proactive, and could have shown a positive appreciation and consideration for a significant group of their most loyal customers -at virtually no cost to themselves. It would have engendered a ton of goodwill on their behalf.

The very few times that "Regent" has chosen to respond on this board (usually by FDR, himself), I believe it has been in a rather more "negative" than "positive way". At least that's my impression and memory. Others can certainly correct me, if I'm in error.

One of the few "positive posts" that I can remember is when they offered to provide a cello in someone's stateroom for a special occasion. Perhaps there were more instances before I started paying attention. The most striking (and negative) post I seem to recall was a post (that was really a "veiled threat") to take someone to court for a string of comments/criticisms (by just one poster) that apparently wasn't appreciated at the corporate level - or perhaps by just one individual. I'll certainly never forget that one! "Bad form", I thought at the time, for a corporation to be "dressing down" one individual in front of many others! It certainly did not present a positive corporate image!

in the realm of positive public relations, a few of the most important practices a company can do is 1. Proactively acknowledge a customer's concern/complaint as soon as they find out about it (even if they don't have an immediate "fix" for the problem) 2. Quickly express a positive and immediate message of understanding, and empathy and in the same "forum" (in this case, CC) that the original concern was expressed (i.e. "address the problem" before a "negative perception" is allowed to form) and 3. Keep your customer base informed, updated, and provide resolutions/answers as soon as possible - even if the "answer" ultimately winds up being a "negative". Frame it in a positive and concerned way.

If this had been done (by Regent) way back on Aug 4 when this original thread/concern first appeared (along with the 269 subsequent posts/opinions), I don't think this conversation would have ever reached the decidedly negative crescendo that it unfortunately has. Best Regards.

Sorry, but, this thread was supposed reflect only what those on this sailing were thinking and feeling. Instead, we have someone telling us how we are supposed to feel. I thought only Psychologists did that.

One question Responder....... if "this thread was supposed to reflect only what those on this sailing were thinking and feeling" why did you decide to put it on the general Regent board rather than keeping it on Roll Call (note: This was a direct quote from Responder and I am aware that it is missing a word.) Responder, please stop making this about me. This is your cruise. If you wanted to keep it amongst yourselves, it behooved you to keep it on Roll Call.

You have accomplished having everyone and their relatives posting on this thread. Just think...... you would not have heard one word from me if this thread did not exist (even though I read many Roll Calls)

Pingpong, fizzy, msfiri, diebroke, gnomie1 and HanaleiSailor, since Responder does not want to hear from us, perhaps we should not continue to voice our opinion. After all, we are not affected by any of this. We should honor the request of one Ebola cruise passenger.

Edited by Travelcat2

One question Responder....... if "this thread was supposed to reflect only what those on this sailing were thinking and feeling" why did you decide to put it on the general Regent board rather than keeping it on Roll Call (note: This was a direct quote from Responder and I am aware that it is missing a word.) Responder, please stop making this about me. This is your cruise. If you wanted to keep it amongst yourselves, it behooved you to keep it on Roll Call.

You have accomplished having everyone and their relatives posting on this thread. Just think...... you would not have heard one word from me if this thread did not exist (even though I read many Roll Calls)

I wish I knew what you are talking about...keep what amongst ourselves?

When we get a directive from Cruise Critic advising us exactly what to post, how to post and where to post, I'm sure we will all comply.

In the interim, you have a knack for dancing around every criticism issued against you.

When you say we would not have heard one word from you if this thread did not exist, I say....not in this lifetime. There isn't a thread or post that you don't respond to.

I wish I knew what you are talking about...keep what amongst ourselves?

When we get a directive from Cruise Critic advising us exactly what to post, how to post and where to post, I'm sure we will all comply.

In the interim, you have a knack for dancing around every criticism issued against you.

When you say we would not have heard one word from you if this thread did not exist, I say....not in this lifetime. There isn't a thread or post that you don't respond to.

First, your comment that there "isn't a thread or post that you don't respond to is 100%" untrue.

In terms of the question which you seem confused about, let me remind you. You clearly stated on Post #268 that "Sorry, but, this thread was supposed reflect only what those on this sailing were thinking and feeling. "

Does this not mean that this thread was not meant to reflect what the rest of us were thinking or feeling?