Am I allowing enough time?

Ash1982

Hi! FLL/Port Everglades newbie here.

In your experience, do you think I'll have enough time after disembarking at Port Everglades to get to FLL airport to make an 11:15 a.m. flight? It's a Saturday, by the way. If not, we have to wait for many, many hours at FLL. :confused:

Thanks all!

p.s. I tried searching for an answer to this to avoid posting a new thread and wasn't getting a clear response in the search results. Might be my fault; apologies if this has been covered ad nauseum.

Yes you'll be fine. Just don't dilly dally off the ship. Take a taxi too! Not sure who you are cruising with but if they offer self assist disembarkation do that! That's what we did and we were at the airport by 8:30. Just make sure if you do that you are able to manage your luggage yourself!

How about 10:40am? It is the only non stop we could take.

As Bruce says, it will be tight. For a 10:40 flight you need to be at FLL by 9:10 (and much earlier is better given the TSA lines :(), so figuring 15+ minute to load into a cab and make the drive that means clear of customs/immigration and loading into a cab by 8:45 or earlier .

I would only do this if I could carry my bags off the ship and be walking on the pier by about 8:00. Do you want to spend your cruise worried about making your flight home? :confused:

11:15 is not a problem. No worries.

10:40...is doable. But just plan on being off the ship around 8. We did a flight at 10:50. Did not have to self carry. Just made sure we were off the ship in the second or third group. We were at the airport at 8:35.

Now.... if you are one to worry and stress the whole day before, then don't do it. Not worth messing up your last sea day. Those are hard enough to face.;)

I wouldn't try this flight anywhere else than to FtL as it is a quick ride. But no matter when the flights, things can always be delayed when you least expect it. That's why I asked how you handle worry.

Oh... it will be a hectic morning trying to get to the airport with all the other flight gamblers.

Edited by eandj

If your cruise line offers luggage direct and you purchase it I would think the 10:40 flight was doable if you are one of the first groups off the ship.

No, probably not. On our last cruise (February) Luggage Direct won't take bags for flights before 11:30.

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone! I'm sailing HAL. Will check and see if they offer the option for us to take off our own luggage. We've done that before (other lines) and it's been fine -- it's just 2 of us and we're in pretty good shape. :D

What I've never done is take a taxi to or from the port... when you get off the ship, is the taxi line insane on Saturdays, typically (Port Everglades on a Saturday)? I assume there's a taxi line, anyway... though maybe not?