I wish I would have brought that with me

rlthng

Febreeze; Magnets to secure notes, schedules etc to walls. Duck tape, crystal light, scarves (wear during meals to "save" shirts from drips), coffee "go-cup, ""Poo Pourri"-- (look for it online--makes life much more pleasant); binder clips-- (use to secure papers, use as clothespins,) . I also get "business cards" printed up from VistaPrint, with my name and email address to give to new friends. I can add address and phone number on the back if I want to.

Oh dear, perhaps you were the next door neighbors on our last cruise. The scents traveled from your room to mine and caused me severe problems.

lmao. I never brought any not that it matters. Its talking about stuff I never bring that I think I should bring. we bring three suitcases already no room for other crap like that.

Edited by trev71

+1

I've come down with a cold on 3 of my cruises, so far. On one, we were fortunate the dock was, literally, across the street from Walmart (Puerto Vallarta? Mazatlan? Cabo?...it was Mexico, anyway).

It doesn't take much space for some antacids, anti-diarrheal, cold meds...

Also agree with the extra Rx glasses. I have my Rx sunglasses in a pinch, but I also throw in my previous pair (a bit of an outdated prescription, but better than nothing).

On my Panama Canal cruise I came down with a cold in Costa Rica. I didn't have any experience with prices in the on-board gift shop; ouch!! Now I bring a box of NyQuil and one of DayQuil gel caps.

If Walmart was right across the street from the pier, then it was most likely Puerto Vallarta.

Edited by Treven

If you cruise in a balcony cabin and your sinuses don't like the A/C at night when you are sleeping pack a bungee cord or two. We use the bungees to hold the balcony door open. With the balcony door open it automatically shuts down the A/C and you now have the nice sea breeze and the sound of the ocean to put you to sleep. We wake up without with clear sinuses.....lol.

This will be our fourth cruise and there were still some great ideas in this thread! Thank you! Never realized about the magnets on the wall! I would definitely agree with bringing fewer clothes! You don't need half of what you think you do! A dollar store pocket poncho is a must for carrying in your touring backpack. We could have sold 20 on one excursion when it started to rain and none of the nearby shops carried them. Everyone wanted to know where we bought them:-)

The best item you can take on board is a selection of fridge magnets. All cabins are made of steel so if something is important; excursion tickets, reminder for an event, ticket to the Captain's Table - whack it on the wall.

I agree with the zip lock bags. Also I wish I would bring some Liquid hand soap form bath and body works. I hate that generaic cheap soap or bar soap thats in the stateroom

If you fly to your cruise port the day before you leave and stay at a hotel, try the gift shop or there may be shops nearby.

Or, join your roll call, post your question to those who drive to the cruise port....someone may be willing to pick some up for you. I know I would help someone out, I understand the "need" for certain soaps and toiletries.:D

Good luck!

Barbara ;)

We like to bring a small power bar with at least 4 outlets on it. Some times the outlets are not in a convenient spot. Also we pack a 4 foot extension cord. It helps to be able to use an outlet in an inconvenient spot. Sometimes us seniors can't bend, twist or reach like we used to...LOL. We like to take clothespins to hold together those pesky window curtains that don't quite close and let in too much light when we're trying to sleep. Ziplock bags of varying sizes to put stuff in ( eg: that still damp bathing suit that you want to pack). A pair of nice looking but loose slippers just in case your feet swell in the heat and you just can't get those snug formal night dressy shoes to fit. My feet never used to swell, but they sure did after several days in a row of high temps in Central and South America. If on a longer cruise or travelling a long way to get to your cruise do not bring the watch that is difficult to change the time as you pass thru various time zones. Ladies, if you MUST wear your many rings do think about bringing a small amount of jewelry cleaner with you because continually using hand sanitizers will make them dull and sticky.....and it's real important to use those hand sanitizers, it really is.

If you cruise in a balcony cabin and your sinuses don't like the A/C at night when you are sleeping pack a bungee cord or two. We use the bungees to hold the balcony door open. With the balcony door open it automatically shuts down the A/C and you now have the nice sea breeze and the sound of the ocean to put you to sleep. We wake up without with clear sinuses.....lol.

The cruise lines ask you not to do this. An HVAC guy explained it at the captain's corner on one of our cruises, and although most of it was over my head, the main idea is that the cool air gets sucked out of the hallway, and even from nearby cabins, under your door to equalize the pressure of you having your balcony door open. (Did you ever have the cabin door open at the same time as the balcony door? There is a very strong wind current!). This puts a strain on the AC unit, which now has to pump harder to keep those areas cool, and it compromises the comfort of people in cabins around you.

Everyone is saying sun tan lotion, how about after sun lotion and sun burn relief stuff.

I like using white vinegar to get the sting out of sunburns. I bought those little shampoo travel bottles that you can fill and filled them with vinegar and put them in a zip loc just in case they leaked.

turn 'roaming'off

Also, (a note for us Brits, don't know about other countries) on a cruise we took earlier in the year, when I arrived home, I found that I had a lovely big bill on my mobile phone - apparently, it had been merrily updating all on it's own. The mobile phone company said that I should have gone into the MOBILE NETWORKS, and turned off the 'Use Packet Data' when abroad ... but check with your mobile company to ensure that you are not caught out ... don't forget to turn it back on when you get home

I usually disable data, then disabling all roaming options so that it can't accidentally connect if airplane mode disabled itself.

Looking for tips of what to pack for an upcoming cruise that would be good to bring but I might not think to bring. For example highlighter or towel clips for chairs. I know all you seasoned cruisers must have items you bring that the newbies would never think to bring but would really come in handy. Thanks so much for the upcoming tips! :)

Two things (and I don't bring a bulky power strip);

1) A european 2 pin plug adaptor 9like this: http://custom.buyitsellit.com/29169/images/madeinkorea/living/adapter220v2.jpg) , which gives you an extra (albeit 220v) outlet in your cabin for your electronics. They're small and cheap (a couple of dollars), and take up almost no room in your luggage. Most electronics (not things like hairdryers) like cel phones/camera/computers are 110/220 compatible (check the appliance it will say right on it).

2) A cel phone/table battery pack (this is the one I have, it's large, and there are smaller/cheaper if you want http://www.ncix.com/detail/iogear-gmp10k-gearpower-ultra-capacity-1c-82031-1248.htm). The reason is threefold: One, it gives you TWO charging outlets for USB items, secondly they're higher power USB charging outlets than in a computer. Most importantly you can take it on deck if you're going to be out all day and your tablet isn't up to 4-5 hrs of movies/whatever. Mine will fully recharge an iPad, twice before itself it needs charging; and ever been ashore and started to run low on power?

Between these two tricks, you can make your electronics last all day, use fewer outlets in your cabin, and have extra power on the go.

We like to bring a small power bar with at least 4 outlets on it. Some times the outlets are not in a convenient spot. Also we pack a 4 foot extension cord. It helps to be able to use an outlet in an inconvenient spot. Sometimes us seniors can't bend, twist or reach like we used to...LOL. We like to take clothespins to hold together those pesky window curtains that don't quite close and let in too much light when we're trying to sleep. Ziplock bags of varying sizes to put stuff in ( eg: that still damp bathing suit that you want to pack). A pair of nice looking but loose slippers just in case your feet swell in the heat and you just can't get those snug formal night dressy shoes to fit. My feet never used to swell, but they sure did after several days in a row of high temps in Central and South America. If on a longer cruise or travelling a long way to get to your cruise do not bring the watch that is difficult to change the time as you pass thru various time zones. Ladies, if you MUST wear your many rings do think about bringing a small amount of jewelry cleaner with you because continually using hand sanitizers will make them dull and sticky.....and it's real important to use those hand sanitizers, it really is.

Much more important to wash your hands well, hand sanitizers are pretty much useless, especially against Norovirus.

Two things (and I don't bring a bulky power strip);

1) A european 2 pin plug adaptor 9like this: http://custom.buyitsellit.com/29169/images/madeinkorea/living/adapter220v2.jpg) , which gives you an extra (albeit 220v) outlet in your cabin for your electronics. They're small and cheap (a couple of dollars), and take up almost no room in your luggage. Most electronics (not things like hairdryers) like cel phones/camera/computers are 110/220 compatible (check the appliance it will say right on it).

2) A cel phone/table battery pack (this is the one I have, it's large, and there are smaller/cheaper if you want http://www.ncix.com/detail/iogear-gmp10k-gearpower-ultra-capacity-1c-82031-1248.htm). The reason is threefold: One, it gives you TWO charging outlets for USB items, secondly they're higher power USB charging outlets than in a computer. Most importantly you can take it on deck if you're going to be out all day and your tablet isn't up to 4-5 hrs of movies/whatever. Mine will fully recharge an iPad, twice before itself it needs charging; and ever been ashore and started to run low on power?

Between these two tricks, you can make your electronics last all day, use fewer outlets in your cabin, and have extra power on the go.

I got this for general use, not specifically for my upcoming cruise.

ankbat.jpg

It's a 12,000mAh battery. The Galaxy S3 has a 2100mAh battery, so it can almost charge that one phone 6 times over. It can charge up to 4 amps split between 1 to 3 ports.

This I did buy specifically for it to save on bringing chargers.

ankcharge.jpg

Up to 8 amps, split between 5 devices.

Cruised for many years and picked up some great suggestions over time from posters here, such as the zip lock bags which we use for everything from packing to go on the cruise to putting the dirty/damp clothes in at the end of each day. We used then crossed off our lists some things that others can't live without such as the over-the-door shoe organizer and pop up hamper (no need with the zip lock bags). The last tip I picked up, which will become a MUST is the magnet that's a hook for the wall. We use it to put our lanyards on (yes, we are Diamond and yes we use them and don't care what others do/don't). We LOVE the travel bottles that are the soft plastic ones sold at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Those suckers don't leak and are fabulous for our shampoo and conditioner. Love the water wallets for beach/water excursion. We also put an envelop with small bills in the dresser drawer for tips for room service. When the phone rings to signal that room service is on the way, it doubles as my wake up call. Nothing worse than trying to scramble around tying to find tip money. Wish I had known when we first started cruising how much I would prefer a private tour/excursion over booking one through the cruise line. Wish I had known on my first three cruises that the charge for a drink already included a tip.