Haven Dining Question

Tggrtoes

Hi all - First time NCL-er, so still trying to wrap my head around the freestyle concept (love the idea - just more choices to figure out!).

I know we can get specialty dining in room via our butler. Is that something that we could enjoy in the Haven Courtyard or elsewhere in the Haven? I am guessing the Haven restaurant is a no given it's an actual restaurant with it's own servers.

Thoughts? Either on restaurant piece or courtyard (or other)? Traveling with the in-laws and trying to figure out the best ways for everyone to enjoy the space and have some privacy at the same time. We have always enjoyed balcony dining (I know they are small - so definitely have to take shifts, which I'm fine with! lol)

Stacey

Hi all - First time NCL-er, so still trying to wrap my head around the freestyle concept (love the idea - just more choices to figure out!).

I know we can get specialty dining in room via our butler. Is that something that we could enjoy in the Haven Courtyard or elsewhere in the Haven? I am guessing the Haven restaurant is a no given it's an actual restaurant with it's own servers.

Thoughts? Either on restaurant piece or courtyard (or other)? Traveling with the in-laws and trying to figure out the best ways for everyone to enjoy the space and have some privacy at the same time. We have always enjoyed balcony dining (I know they are small - so definitely have to take shifts, which I'm fine with! lol)

Stacey

I have ordered specific items from speciality restaurants and had them delivered to a different restaurant where I was dining with others. I just called the butler and he delivered no problem. I'm sure you can do the same in the Courtyard or Haven restaurant.

Stacey

Hi Stacey,

The Haven Restaurant will serve you from any restarunt on the ship. You will be required to pay the surcharge as if you are dining in the specialty restarunt for the entrée ordered. I have never been charged for appetizers ordered in the Haven dining room from SDRs, but that is not to say that it will not happen.

The Haven dining room staff will go out of their way to accommodate you.

Hope this helps,

Cherie

Hi Stacey,

The Haven Restaurant will serve you from any restarunt on the ship. You will be required to pay the surcharge as if you are dining in the specialty restarunt for the entrée ordered. I have never been charged for appetizers ordered in the Haven dining room from SDRs, but that is not to say that it will not happen.

Hope this helps,

Cherie

I have to say that as delightful as the Haven staff was on our trip, they were not keen on getting items from specialty restaurants or even the MDR. We had asked a few times and it really threw them. When we asked for the MDR menus , we were told to just look at the TV ones, which was fine. But they did not want to get anything for us from LaCucina for my youngest we specifically we told NO. ,I felt a bit sad for him, as he was really looking forward to it, but he didn't mind. The waiter acted as though he had never heard of such a thing. It wasn't a big deal- he brought us about 9 different chocolate desserts instead!

And yes, we were expecting to pay for the meal.

Edited by Annmeat

You cannot eat on the balcony of the 2 br villa uses you are eating a Popsicle

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

True That- there isn't a table on the balcony large enough for 2 dinner plates and utensils and goblets! Desert and coffee is doable!

I agree with the poster above. The dining room servers in the Haven are not accommodating with variations from that menu. Not even a little bit.

I'm sure if you wanted to involve the Butler he could arrange to get you what you wanted from any restaurant but that would require the surcharge for that restaurant and then of course a special tip just to the Butler. You can't expect that level of service from your server in the Haven Club restaurant though.

On the Epic I asked the butler about getting an appetizer order of escargot from le Bistro. The Butler told me that I would be charged for the full meal...meaning entree, appetizer, dessert, etc. I couldn't just get the escargot delivered to the haven Club area for example and pay just for the escargot. It would have been $20 surcharge plus then the tip to the butler......It would have been a $30 appetizer.

Another time I was in the Haven restaurant and I wanted to order the fish sandwich with the greens that I had for lunch the day earlier from the outdoor haven dining area. This area is literally attached to the Haven restaurant and surely must share the same kitchen. It couldn't have been any trouble at all. But my server gave me the side eye and "had to ask her supervisor"?!? Eventually they could work it out for me. I think they realized I was going to make this work even if I had to walk 25 feet out the sliding doors, order the fish sandwich out there and then bring it back in to eat with my husband.

They are not nearly as accommodating about ordering food from all over as posters on this board would lead you to believe.

I have to say that as delightful as the Haven staff was on our trip, they were not keen on getting items from specialty restaurants or even the MDR. We had asked a few times and it really threw them. When we asked for the MDR menus , we were told to just look at the TV ones, which was fine. But they did not want to get anything for us from LaCucina for my youngest we specifically we told NO. ,I felt a bit sad for him, as he was really looking forward to it, but he didn't mind. The waiter acted as though he had never heard of such a thing. It wasn't a big deal- he brought us about 9 different chocolate desserts instead!

And yes, we were expecting to pay for the meal.

I agree with the poster above. The dining room servers in the Haven are not accommodating with variations from that menu. Not even a little bit.

I'm sure if you wanted to involve the Butler he could arrange to get you what you wanted from any restaurant but that would require the surcharge for that restaurant and then of course a special tip just to the Butler. You can't expect that level of service from your server in the Haven Club restaurant though.

On the Epic I asked the butler about getting an appetizer order of escargot from le Bistro. The Butler told me that I would be charged for the full meal...meaning entree, appetizer, dessert, etc. I couldn't just get the escargot delivered to the haven Club area for example and pay just for the escargot. It would have been $20 surcharge plus then the tip to the butler......It would have been a $30 appetizer.

Another time I was in the Haven restaurant and I wanted to order the fish sandwich with the greens that I had for lunch the day earlier from the outdoor haven dining area. This area is literally attached to the Haven restaurant and surely must share the same kitchen. It couldn't have been any trouble at all. But my server gave me the side eye and "had to ask her supervisor"?!? Eventually they could work it out for me. I think they realized I was going to make this work even if I had to walk 25 feet out the sliding doors, order the fish sandwich out there and then bring it back in to eat with my husband.

They are not nearly as accommodating about ordering food from all over as posters on this board would lead you to believe.

It is incredible that our experiences are so different in the Haven restaurants. I have sailed on the Breakaway three times and the Epic twice, and the Haven Restaurants have always gone above and beyond.

OP, I hope we share a common experience after your cruise. If I could offer one piece of advice, communicate your wishes with the Concierge. Sometimes the Concierge will wave a magic wand turning what was impossible to suddenly probable and then done. :)

Edited by Nalagh

Not sure about the Epic, but guessing that the model for the design of the ships are similar. We had a behind the scenes kitchen tour on the BA last month. The Haven and all of the specialty restaurants each have their own dedicated kitchen due to the nature of the different meals. Only the 3 MDRs share a kitchen.

I found the Haven restaurant staff to be very accommodating on the Breakaway in March. It appeared that the waiters were not used to people asking to order from other menus and would always reply with I just need to ask the Maitre'de. It seemed the only reason they were doing that was to deal with the logistics of actually obtaining the off menu items. In fact, day two of the cruise, the Maitre'de actually announced to the whole restaurant that they should feel comfortable ordering off the MDR or other menus any time. One night I wanted two desserts from Le Bistro. The Maitre'de arraigned for the items to be delivered to my cabin following dinner the next night. One afternoon I was craving a tuna sandwich, and they Haven staff found it for me, no problem. I also heard Mother's ordering pb & j or grilled cheese for their children.

To each his own - I just don't understand this concept. The Haven Restaurant on Breakaway & Getaway are on Deck 15. The MDRs and specialties are on Decks 6-8. Who is running around to these restaurants to get these dishes? Do you complain when the items aren't hot? And does it affect my wait time in any of them? For instance, I'm in Le Bistro where every table is full. I'm waiting for my entrees but they also received an order from 6 tables in The Haven Restaurant that each want a couple of appetizers, entrees and dessert. Am I going to miss the evening show? :cool:

Exactly my point... I didn't think it sounded practical, but really wasn't sure what made sense given I was still figuring out basic details on what decks everything is on and certainly was not aware of the behind the scenes stuff like shared kitchens or not. I so appreciate being able to pose a question and get great advice from folks in the know. Based on responses, this is not something we are likely to consider even requesting at this point (certainly don't need it THAT bad)... although, even if we were considering, this would be something pre-arranged with butler ahead of time so shouldn't impact other diners' experience.khaide612 user_online.gif

Cool Cruiser

I found the quality and selection on the dinner menus in the Haven restaurant aboard the Epic to at least be equal to or better than anything from the for pay venues. I just can't imagine ordering in a side from a specialty restaurant to be eaten in the Epic Club Lounge.:confused:

Edited by cmdchiefthom

Hi. Was in The Haven on The Getaway last week and when I asked to see the menu for the MDR the staff was less than pleased and explained it was too difficult to accommodate. MDR is aft 6 and Haven was forward 16. I didn't make a big deal about it because the food in The Haven restaurant is good, I was just looking for some variety after day 4. I read the boards here and thought that asking for the other menu was a normal request. My bad! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi. Was in The Haven on The Getaway last week and when I asked to see the menu for the MDR the staff was less than pleased and explained it was too difficult to accommodate. MDR is aft 6 and Haven was forward 16. I didn't make a big deal about it because the food in The Haven restaurant is good, I was just looking for some variety after day 4. I read the boards here and thought that asking for the other menu was a normal request. My bad! LolSent from my iPhone using Forums

See this is where I'm confused by these threads. You say you wanted some variety after Day 4 but Haven cruisers don't have to eat in the Haven Restaurant every night. We can go to one of the MDRs for a change of menu/scenery. We can even go to the open venues for breakfast/lunch!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have a haven dining question on the Breakaway.

Been on the Epic and the haven restaurant had an area through sliding doors off the pool courtyard with a bar and a casual dining area with burgers and similar items. You would sit down and there was a waiter taking orders and serving.

Does the breakaway haven have this?

If not is it possible to have room service deliver to pool courtyard in the haven. I guess I could ask the butler as well if thats appropriate to do.

Thank you in advance for any information!

Hi all,

I have a haven dining question on the Breakaway.

Been on the Epic and the haven restaurant had an area through sliding doors off the pool courtyard with a bar and a casual dining area with burgers and similar items. You would sit down and there was a waiter taking orders and serving.

Does the breakaway haven have this?

If not is it possible to have room service deliver to pool courtyard in the haven. I guess I could ask the butler as well if thats appropriate to do.

Thank you in advance for any information!

Unfortunately no. The Haven area on the Breakaway/Getaway is significantly smaller and the grill area you are referring to is one of the areas lost.

But....they do have dining tables in the Courtyard - and I understand the same menu is available even without the dedicated grill/bar space.

They are sharing our 2 bedroom suite. DS will be on sofa bed in living room. I think now with some planning and review of more info, we feel more comfortable with the options. Thanks to everyone for posts and helpful tips as I've asked a million questions!

Hi Stacey,

I have never been charged for appetizers ordered in the Haven dining room from SDRs, but that is not to say that it will not happen.

Hope this helps,

Cherie

Wow! That sounds amazing! Always learning something new, here on CC! I never would have dreamed I could order apps from a specialty Restaurant and not have to pay. Sometimes the apps are better than the entrees!