Disembarking in Venice

suntan

We are disembarking our cruise ship in Venice after spending an entire day in Venice the day before. We are staying an extra day and our hotel is in Mestre. We cannot take the vaporetto to the hotel so we have to take a land taxi. I have a couple of companies in mind but someone told me, rightly or wrongly, that we shouldn't pre-book the taxi to take us from the port to the hotel because we don't know how long it will take us to get off the ship, get the luggage, and go through immigration (will we go through immigration?) and the taxi may not wait for us (which I doubt). I'm planning on disembarking the ship at 8:00am, giving myself a half hour to find the luggage, go through immigration (if that is required) and get to the taxi. Am I out to lunch :D with this plan? Is it preferable to pre-book the taxi to take us to our hotel or grab one when we get off the ship? Thanks.

This June on the Celebrity Equinox there were taxi/limo reps at the entrance to the terminal taking reservations for the next morning when we returned to the ship after our first day in Venice. There was no immigration. We walked off the ship at 7:30 grabbed our luggage and met our driver at the door. About 15 minutes from leaving ship to exiting the terminal. We went to the Mestre train station in a very nice mini-van for 35 Euro. The driver we reserved gave us his cell phone number in case there was a problem. Enjoy Venice. It's one of our favorite places.

Have you thought about staying right in Piazzale Roma instead? Is there a reason you want to stay in Mestre?

We're staying in Mestre because it is cheaper than staying in Venice.

This June on the Celebrity Equinox there were taxi/limo reps at the entrance to the terminal taking reservations for the next morning when we returned to the ship after our first day in Venice. There was no immigration. We walked off the ship at 7:30 grabbed our luggage and met our driver at the door. About 15 minutes from leaving ship to exiting the terminal. We went to the Mestre train station in a very nice mini-van for 35 Euro. The driver we reserved gave us his cell phone number in case there was a problem. Enjoy Venice. It's one of our favorite places.

This is great information and what I was hoping the situation would be! Thank you for responding so quickly. If there was one thing to see/do in Venice what would you recommend? It's my first time there.

Burano is really great. The cute little colorful rowhouses and quiet alleys. I really loved it there. I like to escape to the Arsenale and Castello areas. It's a quiet, tranquil area with trees. You get more of a taste of how the locals live in this area.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

I agree with the suggestion to visit another island. It's a nice change from the crowds of Venice. The islands have wonderful character and small canals ; so photogenic.

If you go immediately to Mestre you're probably be too early to checkin so you'll only be leaving your luggage with the Desk. Instead of spending the money on taxi fare .... check your luggage at the LEFT LUGGAGE facility at Piazzale Roma for the day, and get an early start on exploring. Take the People Mover from the pier to Piazzale Roma and check your bags. When you're done for the day, collect your bags and take the bus or taxi to Mestre.

Suggestions for sightseeing, or getting to the islands in this link.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/vi-sights.htm

Left Luggage http://www.trasbagagli.it/en/pg/view/53/luggage-storage-venice-piazzale-roma-airport

Thank you for all your great suggestions. We are going to Murano and Burano the day the ship docks in. The extra day in Venice is for exploring the tourist areas (Doge Palace, St. Mark's Square, etc.) but exploring the back streets sounds like it will provide a different perspective on Venice. Just over a month now! Can't wait.:D

Suntan, these are some of the things we enjoy in Venice.

A trip down the Grand Canal on the vaporetto water bus is an inexpensive way to see the canal. If you are going to the islands purchase a multi-day pass. You get unlimited use of the vaporetto for the period purchased. It also helps if you get on the wrong one. Don't ask how I know. Remember to validate your ticket each time you get on. In June there was an attendant on the boat checking everyone's passes. We enjoy Murano and the glass shops.

We take the vaporetto from Piazzale Roma to the Rialto Bridge and then walk to St Mark's Square. Lots of shops on the way. You can take the vaporetto all the way to the square if you want. Reserve your time for St Mark's Cathedral on line. It's a couple Euro and lets you skip the long line. Pay the 5 Euro to go to the upper level of the Cathedral. The original bronze horses are on display there and you can walk outside and get nice views of the square.

The Doge Palace is interesting. If the line is long you can buy your tickets at the Correr Museum at the opposite end of the square. It is good for both the Correr and the Doge Palace and lets you skip the line.

Walking around Venice is a great way to enjoy it's unique beauty. After seeing the tourist areas we walk back to Piazzale Roma and enjoy the squares, shops and restaurants along the way. There are signs on the corners of buildings giving directions. Getting lost in Venice is hard to beat.

Since you are going back to Venice for the day, I agree that taking the people mover to Piazzale Roma and storing your luggage until the end of day would give you more time to enjoy Venice and save a round trip to Mestre. We prefer to stay in the Piazzale Roma area versus Mestre. It's a little more but worth it in our opinion.

Have a great trip.

Burano is really great. The cute little colorful rowhouses and quiet alleys. I really loved it there. I like to escape to the Arsenale and Castello areas. It's a quiet, tranquil area with trees. You get more of a taste of how the locals live in this area.

When you went to Burano did you take a tour or made your way on your own?

Also was Murano part of this or just Burano?

We are in Venice a couple days pre cruise and Burano looks so beautiful and colorful

There's no need for a tour for Burano. Just use the Vaporetto. Then Just walk. And take hundreds of photos. 2arenybe.jpg

We purchased a 48 hour Vaporetto ticket, then caught the vaporetto from Fondamente Nove to Murano, got off, walked the main canal,

4u2y3y5e.jpg

6u6eqapy.jpg

then on the vaporetto to Burano.

ta3uqyry.jpg

5yry4y3a.jpg

Then when ready caught the vaporetto back to Venice via Murano but this time stayed on the boat until Fondamente Nove. It's very very easy to do.

Edited by Pushka
z

When you went to Burano did you take a tour or made your way on your own?

Also was Murano part of this or just Burano?

We are in Venice a couple days pre cruise and Burano looks so beautiful and colorful

No tour needed. The vaporetto that takes you to Burano also stops in Murano if you want to go there. I wasn't interested in the glass factory and Murano really isn't much besides that.

No tour needed. The vaporetto that takes you to Burano also stops in Murano if you want to go there. I wasn't interested in the glass factory and Murano really isn't much besides that.

Beautiful photos... I love photos and to see what Burano looks like I just have to go and take my own photos. Thanks for the information

There's no need for a tour for Burano. Just use the Vaporetto. Then Just walk. And take hundreds of photos. 2arenybe.jpg

We purchased a 48 hour Vaporetto ticket, then caught the vaporetto from Fondamente Nove to Murano, got off, walked the main canal,

then on the vaporetto to Burano.

Then when ready caught the vaporetto back to Venice via Murano but this time stayed on the boat until Fondamente Nove. It's very very easy to do.

I want to do this on a Monday or Tuesday after our return from Florence (our train doesn't get in until 12:30, I think). Is this do-able in an afternoon/evening? Thanks!!

I want to do this on a Monday or Tuesday after our return from Florence (our train doesn't get in until 12:30, I think). Is this do-able in an afternoon/evening? Thanks!!

Yes, we visited Murano and Burano one afternoon after our visit to the Ca d'Oro museum. No problem whatsoever. Makes for a lovely afternoon.

Rick and Joyce, thank you for the information on the vaporetto and ticket sales for the Doges Palace, etc. Puska, those pictures are beautiful and I'm so excited to be visiting these two islands. Only a month to go now! :D