Men's fall outerwear recommendations?

maina

We're heading to Europe in mid September and returning via Queen Mary transatlantic October 8-16 and are puzzling over outerwear for hubby. We did a previous QM transatlantic crossing in early June, and he got by fine with layering--either a fleece or wool sweater with a packable lightweight rain jacket over that. He's done similar on spring-early summer trips to cool climates, e.g., Scotland. This is the first time we've done fall travel overseas. We'll be mainly in the Netherlands and possibly Germany and Poland, before the transatlantic crossing. We're aware of average fall temperatures where we'll be traveling, and know that layers is the best idea. This time, however, I'm thinking perhaps some kind of multi-function jacket might be good--something that would look decent for city use and traveling but warmer than the lightweight (unlined) rain jacket. Possibly a short lined rain coat? He'll have a nice blazer for informal nights and of course his tux (this being the Queen Mary :D), but needs something else for outerwear both on land and on-board. He's tall and prefers outerwear that's longer than waist length, which is hard to come by.

Since we're from Maine, we have plenty of cold-weather clothing. It's the in-between fall and spring outerwear that we're lacking, especially something slightly less sporty and casual.

Barbour or similar style jacket? http://www.orvis.com/store/product_search_tnail.aspx?dir_id=885&group_id=15994&cat_id=11702&nav=19418

My husband has a gorgeous goretex mid-weight coat we got on Sierra Trading post years ago and he wears it for all our fall & winter city travel these days - it's survived sleet in Amsterdam and a rainy alfresco picnic at Versailles ;-) But I've never again seen anything like it because we'd buy another in a heartbeat. It was a $750 coat we got for about $200 (goretex is NOT cheap;)) But it's a dark neutral and not a coat you'd wear skiing, and that's so hard to find.

Waterproof trench would be lovely too, couldget full length or mid-thigh length (my husband doesn't like trench coats, which does make our search more difficult for not-sporty/waterproof ;-)

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/56530?feat=504714-GN2&page=nor-easter-commuter-coat-with-gore-tex-knee-length

http://us.burberry.com/showerproof-car-coat-p39290471

Edited by Hoyaheel

Thanks very much. Price of Burberry is definitely out of our range, but you've given me some good ideas for further general searching. Zappos seems to have a good selection. For more sporty looks, we've had good luck with REI in the past. Hubby has a nice black wool thigh-length coat already, but that would be too warm for fall. Has down parkas too. I have a lightweight quilted car-coat length jacket I wear in fall and spring, which is quite waterproof, and maybe something like a man's version of that might work.

Edited by maina

I have visited these places in this time frame and have taken trans atlantic cruises then as well.

I take a North Face Jacket and then zip in a fleece if that is needed. The jackets are quite stylish these days. Colombia is another nice brand and we recently picked up a nice jacket at their outlet store.

Keith

The time that your are traveling I wouldn't think it will be terribly cold so a trench coat or unlined leather jacket should suffice with a sweater or fleece shirt as a layer if needed.

I am sure you can find something less then $1300.

Shak

We're heading to Europe in mid September and returning via Queen Mary transatlantic October 8-16 and are puzzling over outerwear for hubby. We did a previous QM transatlantic crossing in early June, and he got by fine with layering--either a fleece or wool sweater with a packable lightweight rain jacket over that. He's done similar on spring-early summer trips to cool climates, e.g., Scotland. This is the first time we've done fall travel overseas. We'll be mainly in the Netherlands and possibly Germany and Poland, before the transatlantic crossing. We're aware of average fall temperatures where we'll be traveling, and know that layers is the best idea. This time, however, I'm thinking perhaps some kind of multi-function jacket might be good--something that would look decent for city use and traveling but warmer than the lightweight (unlined) rain jacket. Possibly a short lined rain coat? He'll have a nice blazer for informal nights and of course his tux (this being the Queen Mary :D), but needs something else for outerwear both on land and on-board. He's tall and prefers outerwear that's longer than waist length, which is hard to come by.

Since we're from Maine, we have plenty of cold-weather clothing. It's the in-between fall and spring outerwear that we're lacking, especially something slightly less sporty and casual.

Have you tried LL Bean?

They have some jackets that are 'dressier' than athletic wear.