Renting a Car in Ketchikan

orgutierrez

Hi there. I have finally decided that I will be renting a car in Ketchikan during the day. My ship will be there from 08:00 AM until 05:00 PM. However, besides the Totem Bight State Park and the Potlach State Park, I don't know which other places to visit with the car. Could anyone recommend me some more places to visit using a car? Is there free parking in Totem Bight State Park?

Thank you.

Jaime.

Hi there. I have finally decided that I will be renting a car in Ketchikan during the day. My ship will be there from 08:00 AM until 05:00 PM. However, besides the Totem Bight State Park and the Potlach State Park, I don't know which other places to visit with the car. Could anyone recommend me some more places to visit using a car? Is there free parking in Totem Bight State Park?

Thank you.

Jaime.

If the only things you want to see outside of the downtown area are Totem Bight and Potlatch parks, you might be better off just taking the city bus. Much cheaper too!

If the only things you want to see outside of the downtown area are Totem Bight and Potlatch parks, you might be better off just taking the city bus. Much cheaper too!

I am looking for suggestions to visit other places. Additionally, on the day when I will be in Ketchikan, there will be 5 ships in port which makes me think that the bus will get extremely crowded.

Anyone who can recommend me more places to visit with a car?

Perhaps borrow an Alaska travel book from the library or buy one to bring with you (Fodor has 'Alaska Ports of Call'). A book will provide suggestions for activities, and maps.

In the meantime check these sites:

http://visit-ketchikan.com/About-Ketchikan/Plan-Your-Visit.aspx

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/

http://www.alaska.org/destination/ketchikan/things-to-do

The visitor booths provide free maps for a self guided walking tour.

The bulk of cruise ship passengers have no clue about Ketchikan's city but. And your port time is ideal for having no issue getting on the bus. The full buses can be a problem with later port times, when everyone is out.

If you are driving to Totem Bight, you are out near Ward Lake, and some great hiking. IS this of interest? As already suggested, take a look at their visitor guide and maps. http://www.visit-ketchikan.com

There are three main roads that you can take once you get outside of downtown. North Tongass Highway, South Tongass Highway and the Ward Lake Road.

If you drive all the way out North Tongass Highway you come to Settlers Cove State Park. Nice beach area and short loop trail that takes you by a neat creek and waterfall. Also at the end of the road is the Lunch Creek Trail for a little more adventure. Lots of places to explore as you head back into town from there.

Knudson Cove Marina is always an interesting place to stop and look around. Quite a few local fishermen use the dock out there. Stopped once and saw two guys that had hooked a 400 pound halibut in a 16 foot skiff. The story of how they got the fish back and then seeing it once they were able to haul it out was worth the stop.

Another jewel that few people except locals know about is South Point Higgins beach. The canopy of Sitka spruce on the short walk from the road to the beach is so dense you won't get wet even when it is raining. Awesome tide pools there to explore at low tide. Totem Bight would be your next stop as you head back to town.

The list of things to do is endless once you start doing a bit of research. I always encourage my friends that are visiting on a cruise or the ferry to skip most of downtown. That whole area is mainly a tourist trap. So much more to see and do in Ketchikan then look at rubber, made in china, totem poles.