Carnival, Diamonds International warranty

jgd3rdbcfd

Good luck with that. I'm afraid you are in for an uphill battle my friend. Google "Diamonds International Compliants" and read 'em and weep.

It's a sad state of affairs what Carnival allows to happen during the "shopping talks".

There are plenty of highly regarded jewelry stores in the ports, just NOT ANY that the shoppers guide recommend.

I think the VERY BEST way for resolution would be to call the manager of the store where you made the purchase and deal directly with him...........and have patience ...lots of patience. (I'd keep my expectations low).

Edited by satbeachbill

I must agree that this is an old, old story with that firm. My personal suggestion is to not buy anything of great values from some firm that is thousands of miles from your home. I have never, ever seen a level of savings that would justify the risk. Do business with a reputable local jeweler in your home town. It will pay dividends in the long run.

Doc

Diamonds Intl. and Tanzanite Intl.-I tried with them(their requirements were ridiculous), so I finally went to my credit card company(American Express is the best, but I was dealing with MC on this one) and showed them all my e-mails and paperwork and finally got my money back from them. Not sure if it was because I was such a pest or they actually got their money back from Tanzanite International(sister company). I have been one of the ones that has tried to warn people, but then a few had good results, so think they are great. Sadly the ratio is probably 1 good and 199 bad. Good luck!

Good luck with that. I'm afraid you are in for an uphill battle my friend. Google "Diamonds International Compliants" and read 'em and weep.

It's a sad state of affairs what Carnival allows to happen during the "shopping talks".

There are plenty of highly regarded jewelry stores in the ports, just NOT ANY that the shoppers guide recommend.

I think the VERY BEST way for resolution would be to call the manager of the store where you made the purchase and deal directly with him...........and have patience ...lots of patience. (I'd keep my expectations low).

The sad truth is that jewelers like Diamond International get pushed in the shopping talks because Carnival get kick backs on the purchases by cruise ship passengers.

There are alot of reputable jewelers on the islands if you do your research. For example, when we go to St Thomas, we only shop at the Gold Mine.

The best advice for those considering going to Diamonds Intl is DON'T GO THERE.

I did buy an alexandrite pendant at Tanzanite Intl in Cozumel but just because they knocked $400 off the price and I thought it was very pretty. I still like it and wear it a lot but I have no intention of ever having it appraised (I'll sleep better that way :) ) I treated it as an "as is" purchase, if there had been a problem, I probably wouldn't have even bothered dealing with their "warranty".

My personal suggestion is to not buy anything of great values from some firm that is thousands of miles from your home. I have never, ever seen a level of savings that would justify the risk. Do business with a reputable local jeweler in your home town.

Well...my wedding ring came from a jeweler in the diamond district in NYC, and my husband communicated with them online. So technically it was a firm almost 2000 miles away from my home :) But I know, I'm being fascetious, I certainly understand what you mean.

We also, sadly, had a very bad experience with the Diamond International customer service department. The end result is we won't do business with them ever again. I encourage every cruise traveler to shop somewhere other than Diamond International.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Does anyone have problems with Diamonds International, a Carnival recommended store, warranty work? They are being un-cooperative in their request for documentation. Any suggestions?

We were killing time in Cozumel a couple years back waiting for an excursion. My wife pointed at a ring she liked. Salesperson said it was the best quality diamond in a ring mount in the store....$19k. Then I pointed at a pendant....same story...$18k. By the time we left, price was down about 40%. Too funny.

We were killing time in Cozumel a couple years back waiting for an excursion. My wife pointed at a ring she liked. Salesperson said it was the best quality diamond in a ring mount in the store....$19k. Then I pointed at a pendant....same story...$18k. By the time we left, price was down about 40%. Too funny.

My so called tanzanite pendant started at $7500-they got it down to $2500 and we bought it. BIG MISTAKE! It appraised at $1600 in Charlotte. The chain they gave me broke first time I put it on. Total rip off. I finally got all my money back from my credit card company.

I'm a jewelery lover....get most of my stuff custom made in the jewelry district (47th St)..NYC...because I live walking distance.

I fel in love with a larimar set (pendant/earrings) from DI on a ship...and purchased it. It was the going rate by the manufacturer (the only place you can buy it) and guaranteed by the manufacturer.

Otherwise...I wouldn't recommend them. The quality isn't up to par...and even if you bargain....the prices aren't good.

Be very careful with the stores that the cruise lines hype. They get a kickback so want you to buy from them.

Two years ago we had time to kill in port. Saw a lot of people in DI and was curious what was going on. They were having a raffle for a silver and tanzanite necklace valued at $400.00. They were hyping so much about how beautiful this silver and tanzanite necklace was. Sure it was pretty under their bright shining lights. No purchase required so I singed up. Put a fake email since I didn't want all their email crap. I won. They then tried to get me to buy matching earrings or a ring. I know better than this since I wasn't in the market and no matter how good of a price they said they were giving. I am aware of the issues with DI. I was curious about what the value really was since there was no way that I thought it was anywhere near 400.00. I called and spoke to the RCCI people. I finally got the information out of them. They said it is rhodium plating on brass. What happen to the silver? There are no marks on it at all. The stone is probably tanzanite, but it is a very low grade. I don't recall them saying it was a certain grade. I am guessing it is probably worth $40.00. It isn't even really shiny under regular lights so I am even questioning the rhodium. I think on my next cruise I will bring it and ask DI what it is. Will be interesting to see what they say. Oh well, it was free. It just irks me when they super hype something and way over value it and sucker in the newbies.

Please everyone do your research. If you have a cell phone on you then go to a free wifi place and google what it would cost you at home.

Edited by ReneeFLL

I have bought pieces from them -- and never had any problems!! I've traded up and never had any problems. I've had a larger stone put in an existing setting and it's fine.

I've had things appraised and always it was higher than I paid.

I bargain. I haggle. I walk out of the the store. It takes dedication to get good prices from them. I figure about 50% of their first price. I figure what it's worth for me to decide to say yes, and then wait for them to get down that low -- before I say yes.

I register my pieces with the Shopper on board before I debark. I get the pieces appraised as soon as I get home, so I can go through Carnival, immediately, if I have a problem. (Never have...)

I don't buy diamonds... I've bought pieces with emeralds, rubies, amethysts, and diamonds only as smaller accent stones.

Now I feel LUCKY, after reading these posts. I've run out of fingers and have plenty of bracelets and necklaces... and doubt I'll need to buy jewelry anymore. Buy only turquoise and silver now.

I have bought pieces from them -- and never had any problems!! I've traded up and never had any problems. I've had a larger stone put in an existing setting and it's fine.

I've had things appraised and always it was higher than I paid.

I bargain. I haggle. I walk out of the the store. It takes dedication to get good prices from them. I figure about 50% of their first price. I figure what it's worth for me to decide to say yes, and then wait for them to get down that low -- before I say yes.

I register my pieces with the Shopper on board before I debark. I get the pieces appraised as soon as I get home, so I can go through Carnival, immediately, if I have a problem. (Never have...)

I don't buy diamonds... I've bought pieces with emeralds, rubies, amethysts, and diamonds only as smaller accent stones.

Now I feel LUCKY, after reading these posts. I've run out of fingers and have plenty of bracelets and necklaces... and doubt I'll need to buy jewelry anymore. Buy only turquoise and silver now.

Good thing you did not have a problem-my experience, Carnival referred me to DI/TI. Also, the rule is you have to get an appraisal from someone that does not buy or sell jewelry. I live in Charlotte, 20th largest city in us. They could only give the name of one person that was within 2 hours of Charlotte that could appraise jewelry under their system. After all I had been through, I did not trust going to someone they referred me to and then, I could not find an appraiser that did not buy or sell jewelry in Charlotte. Glad you are happy with your jewelry and at the end of the day, if you are happy, that is great. As you can see on this thread and others on DI/TI, most people are not. Most people on any of the threads

telling how bad DI/TI are, are just trying to warn others, so they do not get ripped off. Glad you had your good experiences.

Years ago we made the mistake of buying a diamond at DI. After a couple of Margaritas which they bought us, we bought a diamond that started out over $8,000.00 for under $4,000.00. When we got home, we had it appraised at our jeweler for just over $4,000.00. He told us he could have gotten us a better diamond for much less. At least we knew to negotiate the price.

Never again.

Sad part is that DI is promoted by all the cruise lines, not just Carnival.:(

You are better off shopping at long time family owned shops in the Caribbean. You can negotiate with them and they will give you good service and value since they know you will recommend family and friends if you are happy with your purchase.

They can modify a setting for you as well and even let you watch the work being done at another local shop.

DI can never go below a certain price point because the prices are set by their corporate office no matter how many discount cards you are given.