Mdr with young children

mhahnster

You should try it and see how it goes. My kids are older, but we were on the Sunshine this summer and there were lots of kids at the early dining from babies all the way up. The waiters did a great job of catering to them. Our dining experience lasted just over an hour and they brought the kids meals out first with our starters so the kids didn't have to wait. It was just fine. We ate there every night and only one night did a baby cry and the mom took him out of the MDR until he stopped. Do it --- they might surprise you!!! And if they act up, it sounds like you are considerate of other diners and worst case, they send your food to the cabin. Bring electronics if you need to (there was a lot of that in the MDR).

Our recent wait staff assumed that we would want our kids to get their meals first, which we did not, so just let them know if you prefer them to get their food ASAP or with your meals. I bought an activity book at the dollar store to bring with us to help as the papers they give get old quickly.

Warning: If you allow (or, Heaven forbid, encourage) your young daughter to order off the adult menu on cruises, she might get a taste for lobster, filet mignon, "fancy" soups, escargot, duck, and ahi tuna. Then she might want to order those things at land restaurants all the time. Then, someday in the not-so-distant future, she might become a very expensive date for some unsuspecting boy. Don't ask me how I know this. I'll just say we don't see a lot of second dates in our daughter's future.:p

My 5 now 6 year old, can't wait to go on our up coming cruise. Last cruise she and her brother and sister tried every "Didja". She can't wait to see what they have this time...or what new thing she can try.

We have a rule with our kids they have to try a food.

This is why we have kids who eat brussell sprouts and spinach....Mussels, oysters, and frog legs!

They also can't wait to eat in the MDR!

Our recent wait staff assumed that we would want our kids to get their meals first, which we did not, so just let them know if you prefer them to get their food ASAP or with your meals. I bought an activity book at the dollar store to bring with us to help as the papers they give get old quickly.

This is a good tip. I forgot I did this too when mine were very young. The children's menu/activity sheet that they provide is the same every night and does get old. A tiny (travel size) sticker book / colouring book / activity book that she only got to use in restaurants and a few extra crayons lived in my purse for a couple years during each my daughters' toddlerhood.

My 5 now 6 year old, can't wait to go on our up coming cruise. Last cruise she and her brother and sister tried every "Didja". She can't wait to see what they have this time...or what new thing she can try.

We have a rule with our kids they have to try a food.

This is why we have kids who eat brussell sprouts and spinach....Mussels, oysters, and frog legs!

They also can't wait to eat in the MDR!

That's what we do, too.:) Ahi tuna was the gateway drug to full-out nigiri sushi, etc. etc. Teaching your kids to be adventurous eaters: talk about expensive habits.:rolleyes::p

Warning: If you allow (or, Heaven forbid, encourage) your young daughter to order off the adult menu on cruises, she might get a taste for lobster, filet mignon, "fancy" soups, escargot, duck, and ahi tuna. Then she might want to order those things at land restaurants all the time. Then, someday in the not-so-distant future, she might become a very expensive date for some unsuspecting boy. Don't ask me how I know this. I'll just say we don't see a lot of second dates in our daughter's future.:p

This amused me!! Thanks for the chuckle!

As a family if 5 I suggest you request your own table

We are 6 and they stuck a father and 10 year old son with us

We didn't need to be with them as our family is fine by ourselves. It was the father and son who they needed to place

We were cordial if course but they were basically mute back to us. It made it very difficult to have a family dinner experience

Others here will say it would be great to have other kids at your table and it will be good for them but I did agree

Unfortunately as a family of 5 they will either squeeze you at a table for 4 or put strangers with you

We sail Ncl now for this very reason

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

We were on the Elation in January with a 12 month old. We took her to MDR every night and yes she got restless. The staff were very supporting and tolerant and made us feel like our baby was the only one on the ship. They were very considerate of her because they always brought her meal with our appetizers instead of bringing her food with the rest of our main dishes. I really wish more land based restaurants would do that.

One thing that we will do differently next time is bring some teddy Graham's. A local resturaunt gives teddy Graham's when seating us and that works better than crayons and coloring paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DH just said we will now encourage our daughters to do this more!:eek:

Yeah, my DH doesn't see it as a particularly bad thing, either. Over the long run, it may still be more expensive than the ghillie suit, nightvision goggles, and tracking devices he was planning on buying when she becomes a teen, but it is at least an easier method of attaining the same goal.:rolleyes:

:mad:

Please use some adult common sense here.

We don't blame the kids, we blame it all on the parents who think it's cute that they allow their own kids to be "spirited"

So how do your kids act in a 4 star restaurant at home?

If they act up at home, then it's the parents job to "teach" them proper manners & etiquette at the dinner table.

With over 20+ cruises under their belt, The military training etiquette our kids received since they were in diapers had served them well today, now that they're in college. All of our adult friends have even learned the "knife & fork" tips from them over the years. Not saying our kids are perfect, just that we took the time to teach & discipline them to behave in public.

Just our point of view.

Many will disagree.

Just like our sister's kids. Total disaster. Cannot sit still, talk quietly, nor not making a scene at any dinner table.

We haven't dined together for over 10 years, since we cannot tolerate bratty little monsters, now big HS monsters.

Sorry, don't believe in the new wave parenting styles today.

Kids have plenty of friends, they don't need you parents as a friend, they need you as a Parent! So act like one!

Well said. I have been around many military families. I think the better discipline comes from the training that the military person learns in the service. We lived on base while in Key West. The couple across from us had 2 kids. The little 4 year old named George was a horrible thing. He would always misbehave and was constantly telling his mom no, running from her and peeing in the yard. Connie would let him do whatever he wanted. Her husband who was a Commander was the total opposite. One time he came home and George was doing his usual in the front yard and you could tell he was really mad at her for letting George do what he wanted. I used to sometimes hang out with her, but quit because the kid was a nightmare. I once told her he was going to be a teachers worst nightmare. She got mad, but he agreed with me. What was really strange was the 8 year old child was the complete opposite and was a joy to be around.

I am not saying all military kids are better than non-military kids, because that's not true. It all depends on how the parents teach them. I think it reflects poorly on the parents who don't raise there kids properly.

I am not saying the OP has bad parenting skill since I don't know them. Since they are on here asking questions, they are probably very considerate of others.

With that being said, I think they should be able to eat in the MDR. There is no minimum age required and they do have booster seats and high chairs. Not sure if they have eaten in a restaurant like that, but it would be a good experience for them. If they start acting up they should be taken outside until they settle down. Enjoy your family cruise and I hope this is the beginning of many happy cruises for your family.

Edited by ReneeFLL

:mad:

We don't blame the kids, we blame it all on the parents who think it's cute that they allow their own kids to be "spirited"

If they act up at home, then it's the parents job to "teach" them proper manners & etiquette at the dinner table.

With over 20+ cruises under their belt, The military training etiquette our kids received since they were in diapers had served them well today, now that they're in college. All of our adult friends have even learned the "knife & fork" tips from them over the years. Not saying our kids are perfect, just that we took the time to teach & discipline them to behave in public.

Just our point of view.

Many will disagree.

Just like our sister's kids. Total disaster. Cannot sit still, talk quietly, nor not making a scene at any dinner table.

We haven't dined together for over 10 years, since we cannot tolerate bratty little monsters, now big HS monsters.

Kids have plenty of friends, they don't need you parents as a friend, they need you as a Parent! So act like one!

Totally uncalled for, OP was asking for advise and certainly didn't need this.

Okay, I got tired of reading some of these replies...

Here is my "take" on the situation. We just cruised with our 4 children (2 that are Autistic) and we ate in the dining room every night with them, except the last night, when they actually wanted to go with the camp to dinner because their was an activity they wanted to do and if they went to our dinner, they were going to miss it..

Only you know your children though. If they start having a bad time, pull them out and either take them to camp or go to your room. Yes, they have booster seats and high chairs in the MDR. Your waiter will usually know their drink order and have a drink in front of them before you even sit down. Our waiter knew the kids names even and really made dinner enjoyable for them (he came around, showing them tricks with the napkins, folding their napkins into animals and always expediting their food). My kids loved to get up and dance with the waiters too and my youngest even danced with me, when another one of our children decided that he needed a bathroom break, right when they started the slow song. Our children are very well behaved (we get complements a lot, when we go out to eat) and they know there is consequences if not. The only time we had a problem, was when they did the napkin swinging and one of the kids knocked over a cold glass of water onto another child (both ours) and he started screaming. I quickly got it under control and him to stop, while cleaning it up but I don't know many grown adults that wouldn't have yelled, if water was poured all over their lap.... One good thing, I don't know how Carnival does it but at the table next to us, their was actually a gentleman that works with Autistic children and he knew right away that our one son was ASD. He always spoke to him and even calmed his fears when they started the songs up loud in the dining room..

Again, only you know your children. Yes, they are allowed to order off the adults menu and yes, one day, they will be very expensive dates, especially if you don't curb it, once you get home... I know my youngest daughter (age 8) can't wait to go back on a cruise, just for the lobster...

Edited by rarasnake

...... One good thing, I don't know how Carnival does it but at the table next to us, their was actually a gentleman that works with Autistic children and he knew right away that our one son was ASD. He always spoke to him and even calmed his fears when they started the songs up loud in the dining room.....

That was wonderful for the gentleman next to you. Your son must have really enjoyed him and made him have a better experience.

Edited by ReneeFLL

We have cruised twice now with our 3 boys with a third planned for Feb 2015. Our first cruise the boys were 4, 6, 8 and at times they could be a handful. We dined in the MDR all nights but one and aside from a few moments when they left their seats I found it fairly easy to manage there. The dining staff were excellent and had a way of engaging the kids so they were excited to see their waiters when we returned the next night.

We did not get seated with strangers either time and the second time we were seated in a nice area off to the side of the dining room near another family with young children.

I have never been made to feel that my children are not welcome in any dining area on a Carnival Cruise and I hope that you will find the same on your cruise.

This thread speaks volumes about the adults on our cruise who acted I appropriately and we're just plain rude. Negative behaviours I noted in the MDR did not come from children, but adults. Too bad there isn't some type of camp they could attend.

As for our experience, our table for 3 was always accommodated and the servers definitely helped to entertain our son. Making origami creatures from pages of the menu, napkin animals, offering to bring food faster if we wanted, etc. The dancing during the meal is excellent since the wait staff encourages everyone to get up and moving. We also bring stickers, paper & pens for tic-tac-toe and guess the word, in addition to the colouring book and crayons.

We find the lido buffet is too wild and distracting which stresses us out, so we avoid it. We also feel we eat healthier options in the MDR! :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

[quote name='ShakyBeef']Yeah, my DH doesn't see it as a particularly bad thing, either. Over the long run, it may still be more expensive than the ghillie suit, nightvision goggles, and tracking devices he was planning on buying when she becomes a teen, but it is at least an easier method of attaining the same goal.:rolleyes:[/quote]

I was just planning on cleaning my guns at the kitchen table while her father gives them "talk", but this could work pretty good too!:D

LOL....with all the time involved in being served several courses in the MDR....DH is unable to sit still and show good behavior. Me too. Both of us get antsy and want to have fun elsewhere on the ship.

(We eat at the buffet. Tried the MDR once or twice...just a waste of our time.)

If a child can handle it...fine. But, why would one expect "military discipline" on a child who is just being a child?

I avoided adult restaurants with my son when he was little...one reason was that he was a non-eater. Now, as an adult, he can cut all his own meat, eats his vegetable...and will sit still for an entire meal...although...according to some...I was a terrible parent. :)

(Oh..and when he was in HS...and everyone hated their parents...his teachers would tell me that he always idolized me. I wonder how that would have been if I forced him to sit through boring meals etc.)

I prefer the traditional dining. My waiter gets to know my kids. Will have their juices and appetizer stuff waiting.

One cruise the waiter got the GD to eat a nice portion of the meal since he promised that when she was done he would go get the magician for her.

We got her to try the chilled soups-- when she was younger we let her eat those with a straw.

When dinner was over we went to the promanade deck== and went outside (door by guest services) and let her run and run= kid isnt going anywhere and there are very few people out there Edited by serene56

[quote name='GTO-Girl']Not sure what you mean by "spirited"......;)...... but keep in mind that a dinner in the MDR can last 1 1/2 - 2 hrs. Sometimes it is very hard for the little ones to handle.

I believe that children are only able to learn about new situations if they given the experience. However if they become to restless or upset it would be proper to take them out of the MDR so as not to disrupt the other diners.....

I hope you and your children have a wonderful cruise!!![/QUOTE]
Very nicely put.

[quote name='NavyCruiser']:mad:

Just our point of view.
Many will disagree.
Kids have plenty of friends, they don't need you parents as a friend, they need you as a Parent! So act like one![/QUOTE] Damn skippy. +1
Alot of crappy friends out there today. I would have said parents but that's the wrong word.

[quote name='ShakyBeef']Warning: If you allow (or, Heaven forbid, encourage) your young daughter to order off the adult menu on cruises, she might get a taste for lobster, filet mignon, "fancy" soups, escargot, duck, and ahi tuna. Then she might want to order those things at land restaurants all the time. Then, someday in the not-so-distant future, she might become a very expensive date for some unsuspecting boy. Don't ask me how I know this. I'll just say we don't see a lot of second dates in our daughter's future.:p[/QUOTE]

It could be a good thing though. Oldest DD was always pretty high maintainence growing up. Liked all the expensive stuff and fancy foods.

Made her work really hard in school and get herself a really good job where she travels all over the world . Where she meets a lot of financially secure young men . No unemployed bums for her.

Still mourning the loss of her last boyfriend (a doctor with season tickets for the Yankees ....I loved that kid :)) But what can you do.

Still hopeful she will meet Mr. buys his in laws a retirement home in the Cayman Islands ......I mean Mr. Right *LOL*