Warning: Homer Air

kwagmyre

I hope the admins will let this post stand - to be clear, I have technically not been on this tour, but then again, that is only because the tour operator messed up, which is why I am posting this. I am in Homer as I write this and am quite upset, so I can assure you that this is not academic.

Inspired by walleylj's excellent Alaska port reviews, I had been inspired to follow in his footsteps and booked with K-Bay air to do a bear viewing trip. They had to cancel the flight yesterday due to weather, and did not have any availability for today. Understandable. So I called around looking for alternatives, and talked to Joe with Homer Air. He took my information and booked the flight, and was even specific enough to advise that I wear a belt because the hip-waders needed something to attach to (these are worn when walking around the bears). He also suggested checking out a website that had webcams with bears on them.

This is relevant for the next part, as their could have been no chance of confusion of my intentions; yet, when I showed up at the office this morning, they told me that they had me booked for a Seldovia flight instead, and "Joe must have messed up because he is new". All of their flights were full today, so they could not make me any further accommodations. They did try to call around and see if anyone else had a seat available, but of course this being the morning of, everyone was full.

They did state that they weren't even 100% sure if they would make it out today due to the weather anyway, but that of course does not excuse their incompetence in booking me on the wrong flight in the first place. Since their were other people in the office with hip-waders on already, it sure looked like they were going out to me.

Since this was my last day in Homer I have now missed a once-in-a-lifetime chance for the opportunity to walk with the bears, and this was especially heartbreaking since it was the only reason I came to Homer to begin with. Don't risk your time and money travelling here and have it wasted as I did; find another operator that specializes in bear viewing, or at least one that pays attention and trains their employees better, or you take your chances. You've been warned.

Frankly, K Bay isn't anyone I would fly with either. They had their Federal permits yanked last year, due to various violations of the bears, namely, harassing them, being too close, closing off their walkways etc. They are now doing this same "guiding" on state land. I have witnessed them doing so. They just don't get it. They crowd out the bears with groups of people in waders and all the bears do, is try and get farther and farther away. IF they just stayed out of the way, a little further off, they would remain so more could see them. Their only priority is getting too close for their "high" ratings. Sorry but they are doing nothing but making the sightings scarser. Then they will just fly to another area and do the same thing. Disgraceful.

Personally, I would also ask about how many hours they had in Type.....When you fly over a lot of the land, you see lots of parts of planes in that water....Not a place i want to be....and yes, Katmai is the MOST amazing place to see bears. I prefer not see them at Brook's Falls as I think there are too many people there. Bears travel throughout the katmai depending on the season. and the planes go where the bears are....There is another place where you can see bears also....but it is pricier and harder to get to...You need a few days...and that is Katovik to see the polar bears. Going there in a couple of weeks and I am uber excited. It is very basic and not an easy place to get to but the pictures that my friends have from there are absolutely amazing.

We had to make a decision between Homer and Kodiak for our fly in bear tour and ended up choosing Kodiak. We went with Seahawk air and it was incredible. Not sure if you will get a chance to get over to Kodiak but if you do check them out! Our Pilot was Willie, great guy!! We flew to Katmai.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by trophy_23

We had to make a decision between Homer and Kodiak for our fly in bear tour and ended up choosing Kodiak. We went with Seahawk air and it was incredible. Not sure if you will get a chance to get over to Kodiak but if you do check them out! Our Pilot was Willie, great guy!! We flew to Katmai.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Not trying to take business away from anyone in Kodiak but why you would book a bear tour out of Kodiak just to fly to the Katmai is something I always found rather weird unless it was the only option you had for a bear tour.

There are a few times during the year that Kodiak pilots actually fly to places on Kodiak Island for bear viewing. Most of the time, it is to the Katmai.

It is easier to fly to the Katmai from Homer. A lot more operators and as posted, some good, some very, very bad.

I swear by Hallo Bay. Everyone else has to fly around and around trying to FIND the bears. They live there and KNOW where the bears are. I took one other trip other than with Hallo Bay and spent more time flying around LOOKING for bears rather than watching bears. Since the prices are just about all the same, why not go with a company who actually LIVES in the Katmai among the bears from May until October? This is the place where a good portion of the documentaries are shot as well as some of the most famous still photographs. http://www.hallobay.com/

So sorry the OP didn't get his bear viewing trip. Those trips are often truly a once in a lifetime experience. OP, please elaborate on the hip waders. I have been to Hallo Bay at least 8 times and the only thing I have ever worn are just plain old rubber knee high boots when crossing the small streams. Lots of times in the evening, just my sneakers. Why the hip waders? Just curious.

• 8 months later...
Not trying to take business away from anyone in Kodiak but why you would book a bear tour out of Kodiak just to fly to the Katmai is something I always found rather weird unless it was the only option you had for a bear tour.

There are a few times during the year that Kodiak pilots actually fly to places on Kodiak Island for bear viewing. Most of the time, it is to the Katmai.

It is easier to fly to the Katmai from Homer. A lot more operators and as posted, some good, some very, very bad.

I swear by Hallo Bay. Everyone else has to fly around and around trying to FIND the bears. They live there and KNOW where the bears are. I took one other trip other than with Hallo Bay and spent more time flying around LOOKING for bears rather than watching bears. Since the prices are just about all the same, why not go with a company who actually LIVES in the Katmai among the bears from May until October? This is the place where a good portion of the documentaries are shot as well as some of the most famous still photographs. http://www.hallobay.com/

So sorry the OP didn't get his bear viewing trip. Those trips are often truly a once in a lifetime experience. OP, please elaborate on the hip waders. I have been to Hallo Bay at least 8 times and the only thing I have ever worn are just plain old rubber knee high boots when crossing the small streams. Lots of times in the evening, just my sneakers. Why the hip waders? Just curious.

We were given the option but chose the area where there would be less people. We only saw one other group and they were from SeaHawk as well.