Chicken Itza

I just posted this on my Roll call page but thought i might reach more people on this forum.

I have just seen Chichen Itza has been added to the excursions in cozumel, has anyone done this tour? It doesn't give a lot of details or any reviews would love to hear from anyone who has done this. Thank you.

Edited by tigerwilf
Spelling mistake

I have been there two times, not on a cruise ship, both guided tours. The ruins are very nice and very popular. The first time, they let you climb the stairs inside the pyramid, but last time...no. Inside the pyramid is a black jaguar carved out of stone with jade gems for eyes...awesome. You still can climb the steps on the outside. Tour guides tell you the life of the Maya people as you tour the site. Yes, it would a good excursion. Take lots of water, it's hot. Enjoy your cruise! SB

We did a tour through Carnival when we cruised on the Ecstasy. Well worth the time, effort, and expense. It's a long day including travel back and forth from the ship so it's best to book your excursion with the cruise line.

You might enjoy seeing the slide show my wife put together for her website with some of the pictures she took. Click on the link below

Chichen Itza Shore Excursion

I remember looking at this excursion before and while it looked great there was so much travel time. I did not want to be on a bus for at least three hours each way.

Ditto. Plus the 90 min round trip on the ferry. That's 7 out of 10 hours just spent getting to/from. The site itself is awesome, I was there about 20 yrs ago (when there were less restrictions).

Now what would be really cool is if they made use of the helicopter pad on the ship and just flew you over to it. :D

Several years ago Chichen Itza became one of the New 7 or 8 Wonders of the World.

It was at that point, that no one can climb on any of the structures, including the main pyramid, or temple. The Mexican Government has been working on making Chichen Itza very different than it was just 5 years ago.

In the '80s, when I first started going to Cancun, one could climb on any structure.

It will be interesting to see what Chichen Itza will become in another year. Supposedly, the vendors that lined the path to the sacred well, will be relocated to a building of their own, and new established walking paths will be built, or already have been built.

If you have been to Stonehenge, in the U.K. many years ago you could also touch the stones. Today, with a charge, you can view them from a distance. This is how I would compare Chichen Itza today.

Rick

Ditto on the advice regarding hot temps and taking water. JimAOk1945, thank you for sharing your wonderful photos! I enjoyed a tour of Tulum and Xel-Ha years ago and it was nice to see Chichen Itza so close up. Those stairs would kill me (if climbing was permitted)! :D

• 5 months later...
Thanks everyone for the advise. My husband isn't very excited by the 7 hours traveling.

You may have already gone on your cruise, but if not (or if anyone else is browsing and curious), I think this would be much longer day than 7 hours. I just went in October 2014 to Chichen Itza from Cancun on an organized tour and it was an extremely long day (10 hours!!! Most of which was driving to and from, of course we did have to pick up and drop off other guests at their hotels which you wouldn't be doing). If they are offering to do Chichen Itza from a tour out of Cozumel, my guess is you will be really rushed on your tour, given that 6 of those 7 hours are for driving :/ If this is all the time you get to spend touring the grounds, it will likely feel like a wasted day. I will say though, it was a really neat experience, I took my daughter (12) who also thought it was awesome and didn't complain about the time it took. You absolutely cannot touch or climb on any structures though, they are all roped off.

Several years ago Chichen Itza became one of the New 7 or 8 Wonders of the World.

It was at that point, that no one can climb on any of the structures, including the main pyramid, or temple. The Mexican Government has been working on making Chichen Itza very different than it was just 5 years ago.

In the '80s, when I first started going to Cancun, one could climb on any structure.

It will be interesting to see what Chichen Itza will become in another year. Supposedly, the vendors that lined the path to the sacred well, will be relocated to a building of their own, and new established walking paths will be built, or already have been built.

If you have been to Stonehenge, in the U.K. many years ago you could also touch the stones. Today, with a charge, you can view them from a distance. This is how I would compare Chichen Itza today.

Rick

Excellent information Rick. May have saved me an all day excursion...I only agreed to the Spring Break cruise on the concept we could just chill on the ship for a week. Saving my excursion bucks for a Summer cruise somewhere.