Do Not Choose This Cruise Line

pepc2

The only crew on any ship that didn't want me to take their picture were ship photographers...as I usually ask the crew. :):):):)

Now that I definitely do. Last dinner with great table companions, you can always rely on the waiters from other tables to use your own camera or phone to capture photos for you.

Sorry to get off subject: For the parents with the children with hightened anxiety- have you tried Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (with a professional who specializes)? It works in most cases and you won't end up with a child drugged up for a lifetime. Medical doctors LOVE their prescription pads!

*I'm not a doctor or therapist- just offering a suggestion that I've researched over the years.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

Yay for plain pasta!

He's an odd one. He loves butter chicken and tacos but he won't touch hamburgers if they have anything more than ketchup and burger patty in them. We are trying to introduce him to more things and I am hopeful that this trip will extend his boundaries a bit more. When we took him to Australia to some of the theme parks there he fell in love with roller coasters - after previously refusing to get on anything more challenging than a dodgem car. He gets nervous about all kinds of things including having his feet exposed in public and being in water. We are currently encouraging him to consider putting his head under water since we will be going to the Caribbean and he will want to see the sea life.

This is part of the reason we chose Disney as they have an excellent reputation for being child-focussed. However this was before we sailed on the Preziosa and I can confidently say that the MSC staff we encountered were wonderful with the children who sailed. We had several families seated around us in the dining room and the wait staff were amazing - from special meals to magic tricks!

Kat Disney is a good line for young people!

But, the Divina has a huge buffet with tons of choices for everyone, including picky kids!

We considered the Divina buffet superior to the Allure/Oasis!:eek:

Sorry to get off subject: For the parents with the children with hightened anxiety- have you tried Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (with a professional who specializes)? It works in most cases and you won't end up with a child drugged up for a lifetime. Medical doctors LOVE their prescription pads!

*I'm not a doctor or therapist- just offering a suggestion that I've researched over the years.

We looked into CBT a year or so back and was advised to wait till he's a bit older and wanting to address the issues. We were told it wasn't terribly effective for a six year old who isn't interested in even discussing it.

We don't, and never have, medicated him. We simply manage his environment so that we avoid triggers as much as possible whilst slowly and gently extending his comfort zone. And he seems to be responding really well. Two weeks ago was the first time he has not had a complete emotional meltdown when buying shoes - so nice not to have to deal with hysterics in the sneaker aisle! :D

Taking an anxious/phobic child overseas, as the previous poster has indicated, is very much challenging them right out of their comfort zone but it's good to do it occasionally especially if you can manage to provide some safe/familiar choices (eg food, activities etc). America is going to be a trial run for us in many ways as we are planning on taking the boys to Europe in 2016 - with an MSC cruise being a key part of that holiday. I'm concerned that he's not going to be able to get a balanced diet whilst we are away but we'll manage.

I am regretting not booking a Divina cruise for this trip. The prices are amazing and we had a fabulous time on the Preziosa. But the boys are fixed on going on a Disney cruise!

We looked into CBT a year or so back and was advised to wait till he's a bit older and wanting to address the issues. We were told it wasn't terribly effective for a six year old who isn't interested in even discussing it.

We don't, and never have, medicated him. We simply manage his environment so that we avoid triggers as much as possible whilst slowly and gently extending his comfort zone. And he seems to be responding really well. Two weeks ago was the first time he has not had a complete emotional meltdown when buying shoes - so nice not to have to deal with hysterics in the sneaker aisle! :D

Taking an anxious/phobic child overseas, as the previous poster has indicated, is very much challenging them right out of their comfort zone but it's good to do it occasionally especially if you can manage to provide some safe/familiar choices (eg food, activities etc). America is going to be a trial run for us in many ways as we are planning on taking the boys to Europe in 2016 - with an MSC cruise being a key part of that holiday. I'm concerned that he's not going to be able to get a balanced diet whilst we are away but we'll manage.

I am regretting not booking a Divina cruise for this trip. The prices are amazing and we had a fabulous time on the Preziosa. But the boys are fixed on going on a Disney cruise!

Thank you for not taking offense to the unsolicited suggestion. Wishing you all the best on your Disney cruise!

Thank you for not taking offense to the unsolicited suggestion. Wishing you all the best on your Disney cruise!

It must be those infamous low standards :p - it never occurred to me to get offended at what was clearly a well intentioned post.

I just hope Disney can live up to the standards that MSC has now set for cruise lines based on my last cruise. :D

We are in therapy, but a different kind. We are dealing with complex trauma from long term neglect (http://www.nctsn.org/trauma-types/complex-trauma/effects-of-complex-trauma). The food stuff is the least of our worries :-)

thanks for caring :-)

We are in therapy, but a different kind. We are dealing with complex trauma from long term neglect (http://www.nctsn.org/trauma-types/complex-trauma/effects-of-complex-trauma). The food stuff is the least of our worries :-)

thanks for caring :-)

For some reason I was not notified of any posts to this thread and just noticed your reply.

I applaud your efforts. What special folks you are. Wishing you smooth sailing, literally and figuratively.

only thing is I wish Divina had aft balconies that would hold 3 people. My mother booked one for just herself, buy my husband and I have our daughter in our cabin and I really do like the aft balconies.

Sounds like time for some Grammy and granddaughter bonding for me.! ;) Why not book the daughter in with Grammy, book the two afts and then daughter can sleep in your cabin, anyway?

But, the Divina has a huge buffet with tons of choices for everyone, including picky kids!

AB, Can you look at this video for me, it says it is the Divina buffet and frankly, it is less than inspiring. Don't get me wrong, I'll find something to eat, but, this buffet seems very basic and not presented very well. I'd love to hear your take on it. Is this the whole buffet? :confused:

Sounds like time for some Grammy and granddaughter bonding for me.! ;) Why not book the daughter in with Grammy, book the two afts and then daughter can sleep in your cabin, anyway?

AB, Can you look at this video for me, it says it is the Divina buffet and frankly, it is less than inspiring. Don't get me wrong, I'll find something to eat, but, this buffet seems very basic and not presented very well. I'd love to hear your take on it. Is this the whole buffet? :confused:

Maureen,,That's Cruisetrails video. He goes by Crossoceanic on Youtube, Cruisetrail on CC, and Kompass7 on Photobucket.

There were some questions around this that were never adequately explained by the OP.

Firstly, the buffet is HUGE. We walked round the one on the Preziosa and it was extensive. This video appears to have been edited. Did it cover the WHOLE buffet or merely the part that complies with his already stated perspective?

Secondly, when during the evening was this taken? At the end when not much is left?

Thirdly, MSC puts a lot of focus into its main dining rooms for dinner service and the buffet is acknowledged to be less extensive at this time. We walked round it towards the end of lunch time (c2pm) on the Preziosa and there was much more selection than has been posted here.

Personally, I would forget about the buffet for dinner and go enjoy a leisurely dinner in the main dining room. That is where you can truly experience part of what makes MSC different.

The buffet is huge, with so much to offer. Here is a link to my photos from our cruise. Somewhere in the middle I have pictures of the names of every station at the buffet. Each station had at least four or five different choices. There is plenty to choose from.

http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/resstation/library/

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The buffet is huge, with so much to offer. Here is a link to my photos from our cruise. Somewhere in the middle I have pictures of the names of every station at the buffet. Each station had at least four or five different choices. There is plenty to choose from.

Sorry to get a little off topic,,which cabana did you have at GSC Resstation?? And did you feel it was a good location for you??

Sorry to get a little off topic,,which cabana did you have at GSC Resstation?? And did you feel it was a good location for you??

We had cabana #1 and LOVED it. It was on the end so we also had a little area to the side where our hammock was, where everyone else had their hammock behind their cabana.

We are from Florida so we were happy to lay around on the lounge chairs and hammock and enjoy the beautiful views - those who would prefer to swim or want a quieter beach area should choose cabanas 11 through ...whatever number they go up to. This is because those cabanas are at the FAR end of the island and have MUCH less foot traffic. There are restrooms just a very short walk behind the cabanas and a bar is directly between the cabanas and the beach. It is quite a ways from the food, but you only have to go over there once.

You will be VERY happy if you reserve a cabana. The general beach area is extremely crowded - much like the pool area on the ship. If you look through my pictures I believe I took pictures of the area. (The link is above).

Hmm, interesting about the buffet. Honestly, I thought maybe this was the crew's buffet. I'll just have to wait to see for myself, maybe this was a late night buffet? Again, I'm not criticizing, I'll eat some hotdogs and burgers, but, I'm used to a well stocked, well decorated buffet. I'll take plenty of pics when I am onboard in 32 days! :cool:

We had cabana #1 and LOVED it. It was on the end so we also had a little area to the side where our hammock was, where everyone else had their hammock behind their cabana.

We are from Florida so we were happy to lay around on the lounge chairs and hammock and enjoy the beautiful views - those who would prefer to swim or want a quieter beach area should choose cabanas 11 through ...whatever number they go up to. This is because those cabanas are at the FAR end of the island and have MUCH less foot traffic. There are restrooms just a very short walk behind the cabanas and a bar is directly between the cabanas and the beach. It is quite a ways from the food, but you only have to go over there once.

You will be VERY happy if you reserve a cabana. The general beach area is extremely crowded - much like the pool area on the ship. If you look through my pictures I believe I took pictures of the area. (The link is above).

Thank You Resstation!!! I have a cabana reserved so I guess I better go to my concierge as soon as I board and request cabana #1,,I've heard from the NCL board that this is the one to have so I better try and get it asap!!

This is the buffet map from the Preziosa, sister ship to the Divina. I don't imagine it would be too different. It was huge!

IMG_1025_zps3d38ae3a.jpg

And to put it in perspective, this is part of the pizza corner - which was a substantial area where pizzas were being freshly made as you watched. As I said, we came at around 2pm so they were finishing the lunch service but new pizzas were being made and put out as we passed.

IMG_1026_zpsfc50badc.jpg

Edited by Katgoesonholiday

This is the buffet map from the Preziosa, sister ship to the Divina. I don't imagine it would be too different. It was huge!

IMG_1025_zps3d38ae3a.jpg

Ahhhh,,,just point me to those yummy little triangle looking hash browns they serve for breakfast!! Can'r believe you had them up in the Yacht Club buffet on your trip Kat. They weren't available in the YC on our sailing aboard Divina.

Ahhhh,,,just point me to those yummy little triangle looking hash browns they serve for breakfast!! Can'r believe you had them up in the Yacht Club buffet on your trip Kat. They weren't available in the YC on our sailing aboard Divina.

Oooh! I must have missed those! We mostly ate in the restaurant for our main meals, including breakfast. With six boys at home we very rarely get to enjoy restaurant meals, leisurely or otherwise, so we made the most of it whilst we could.

Oooh! I must have missed those! We mostly ate in the restaurant for our main meals, including breakfast. With six boys at home we very rarely get to enjoy restaurant meals, leisurely or otherwise, so we made the most of it whilst we could.

I agree Kat,,take advantage of the quite time together, cause with 6 boys, I'm sure those moments don't come around to often.

Thank You Resstation!!! I have a cabana reserved so I guess I better go to my concierge as soon as I board and request cabana #1,,I've heard from the NCL board that this is the one to have so I better try and get it asap!!

I was told they assign cabanas as they are reserved. I'm assuming we got #1 because we reserved it 7 months in advance. ha! I was just happy to get one because they don't have many and they sell out so fast.

I have no idea if I'm supposed to reserve something quickly for the Barcelona trip on Divina in June. I've been reading the boards but nothing jumps out at me. I guess we'll wait in see. The good thing is that we already know our way around, and we know we don't want to see the shows again - so we will have plenty of time to enjoy the YC while not in port.

I was told they assign cabanas as they are reserved. I'm assuming we got #1 because we reserved it 7 months in advance. ha! I was just happy to get one because they don't have many and they sell out so fast.

I have no idea if I'm supposed to reserve something quickly for the Barcelona trip on Divina in June. I've been reading the boards but nothing jumps out at me. I guess we'll wait in see. The good thing is that we already know our way around, and we know we don't want to see the shows again - so we will have plenty of time to enjoy the YC while not in port.

I think we reserved ours back in April, so I guess it'll be a crap shoot as to which cabana we are assigned,,hoping for the best though!!!

Wow, Kat! A map for the buffet! Now, I'm so conflicted. I haven't heard good things about the food, so, I was gonna hit the buffet at night and go to each show twice. That's what I did on RCCL and CCL. Now, I'm thinking I SHOULD go to the dining room, I'm so turned around. Also, I can "ring the changes" by having wine with dinner in the MDR, get my money's worth, so to speak. :confused::confused: