Need cruise/cruise tour suggestions for group

kicia

We are planning a group cruise for next summer, probably very end of June or in July, 2015. We have cruised a lot but not in Alaska. We have been to Alaska three times on our own traveling by car, train, plane, and RV, from Valdez, Seward, all the way to Barrow and Purdhoe Bay. For most of our group, this will be their first, and probably only, time to Alaska. I am looking at the land first, 6 - 8 nights, and then the southbound cruise ending in Vancouver on either Holland America or Princess, leaning towards Princess.

I am thinking of flying from Orlando to Seattle on Southwest and then flying to either Anchorage or Fairbanks. Where would you take first timers on not to be missed destinations? Denali, two nights is a must, as is Fairbanks. Taking the train is another highlight that everyone wants to do. We've done most of the sites except Fairbanks and I would love to do everything again but that is not feasible with the group. I also think at least one night in Anchorage is good.

So, where would you go for about 7 nights before the cruise and would you do Holland or Princess?

Thank you very much for your input!

So, where would you go for about 7 nights before the cruise and would you do Holland or Princess?

Since you asked what "I" would choose; I wouldn't choose a cruisetour because I don't want to be up at 6am putting bags outside my door, nor do I want to spend time at destinations that don't interest me.

How many in your group? What are THEIR interests? What do THEY want to see and do? Those choices will drive your itinerary for the land AND sea portion. If you choose a cruisetour, be EXTREMELY mindful of the details. Many tours spend most of their days in transit with little time at the actual destination. Since Denali is a priority make sure the tour has at least TWO nights there.

If a cruisetour is your choice, there are 100+ trip reports in the STICKYs above, many include cruisetours. In the 2013 list, start with reply #45 where the reports are sorted by cruiseline/ship. The reports lots of useful information and great photos. Reading about other people's experiences might help you with your decisions.

With only 7 days it will be a rush to include time in Fairbanks, Denali and Seward/Whittier. If Fairbanks is a priority it would be more efficient to fly there rather than backtrack to/from Anchorage. But would your group rather spend more time at a coastal destination than in Fairbanks?

Another consideration .... Seward vs Whittier. The train to Seward is the most scenic leg of the Alaska Railroad, and there is lots to see and do in Seward. OTOH, Whittier is only an hour from Anchorage so it's easier to reach and it also offers day cruises.

I think you need to figure out the groups interests first. That's what will drive your itinerary.

Fly into Fairbanks, 2 nights in Fairbanks, 2 nights in Denali, 1 night Anchorage, 2 nights Alyeska and take the ship out of Seward. If you are looking for a cruise tour (if nobody wants to drive) I would look at Holland America double Denali options. And be sure that the cruise goes to Glacier Bay.

Edited by oaktreerb

We have booked for a group of 8 on Holland V5L 12 day for next summer, actually beginning July 22. We are coming a day or two earlier to Fairbanks and then staying 2 days in Vancouver. I chose this particular cruise line because of the itinerary, this line includes Glacier National Park and the inside passage. Good luck with you decision.