How to dress Toddlers in formal night

michelle.zhang.90

We will be on CB over Christmas. We are planning to use the MDR for our dinners. It will be easy to dress DD who will be four. We are planning to bring her dresses from Janie and Jack. Hope that's good enough. What I'm not sure is about my DS who will be 18 months old. Apparently he will not wear a formal outfit. I'm worried a t shirt will be too informal. What about a polo shirt for him? Will that be good enough? Please us us know what do people normally do. Thanks.

We will be on CB over Christmas. We are planning to use the MDR for our dinners. It will be easy to dress DD who will be four. We are planning to bring her dresses from Janie and Jack. Hope that's good enough. What I'm not sure is about my DS who will be 18 months old. Apparently he will not wear a formal outfit. I'm worried a t shirt will be too informal. What about a polo shirt for him? Will that be good enough? Please us us know what do people normally do. Thanks.

Polo shirt will be fine. Love Janie & Jack!

Have a great cruise.

When our son was that age, we found a children's tuxedo online for about $25. He was pretty cute in the outfit and we got some great pictures. He would not wear the shoes, but we were able to get him to wear the shirt, coat and pants.

They won't turn you away from dinner if he has a t-shirt on, but in my opinion, half the fun of formal nights is making the kids wear uncomfortable cloths!

Check ebay for a toddler size tux. I've seen them on formal night and they are beyond adorable. And just think of the photos you can get. But, otherwise, they will let him in no matter what he is wearing.

We stopped dressing DS in suits since he really really hated them. Found polos with a tie attached that are really cute with khakis and he is a way happier kid on formal night. They have them at Buy Buy Baby.

I have seen toddlers in suits and if you want a family photo it would look great.I have also seen them in long pants and polo shirt with a bow tie attached and they look just as cute. If you know your toddler is going to be unhappy in a suit don't do it. From experience when they are that young the last thing you want is to be trying to settle a upset baby at a formal dinner.Better to have them comfortable so everyone can enjoy dinner.

Thank you all for the reply! The polo shirt is it! No way to force DS in formal just for adults pleasure. Will put him in nice polo shirt then, thank you!

I am sure you have made the right choice .I hope you all enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Jasp 0401

Another option that might work is a sweater vest over a button down shirt. At night, it's not too warm, especially indoors. Bowties are a good choice, too. Will he wear a hat? Because a fedora is adorable on a baby. :)

Good idea! We do have a nice sweater vest for him! No hat however, He has 5 cute hats for 12-24M but refused to wear any of them!

• 2 weeks later...
Another option that might work is a sweater vest over a button down shirt. At night, it's not too warm, especially indoors. Bowties are a good choice, too. Will he wear a hat? Because a fedora is adorable on a baby. :)

I second the sweater vest idea! I see so many cute combos from places like Janie and Jack that look like baby golfers, they are adorable! I've even seen Carters sets at Easter time at Costco for super cheap, like $20. I think I've seen them at Janie and Jack as well. I wish they made adult clothes, I always buy stuff for my DDs and wish it came in my size!