Layover times

Ethel5

We know that the airlines have their minimum legal layover times but they are not doable in reality. It would be absolutely wonderful if one of you really savvy air gurus could come up with a "sticky" showing the minimum time needed to make a connection in major hubs. I realize it would have to be rough estimates because it all depends on carriers, gates etc. but it sure would be useful in assisting those of us who come on here asking "will I make my flight?"

Way too many combinations and permutations. Time of arrival, time of year and airline are also usually factors.

One rule, arriving into a major U.S. international hub such as ORD, MIA, JFK, PHL, EWR, etc. when many international flights (especially of the same airline) arrive in a short window would mean one should extend layover time (unless one possesses Global Entry).

Other factor is geographic location and seasonal weather. Example, hubs in the southern U.S. away from the sea are more susceptible to thunderstorm disturbances in summer, as northern hubs are to snow in winter. SFO is always susceptible to fog primarily in summer and winter. Not to mention hubs on the east coast during hurricane season.

Best thing for punters is to ask first, book later.

Edited by cruising cockroach

Way too many combinations and permutations. Time of arrival, time of year and airline are also usually factors.

One rule, arriving into a major U.S. international hub such as ORD, MIA, JFK, PHL, EWR, etc. when many international flights (especially of the same airline) arrive in a short window would mean one should extend layover time (unless one possesses Global Entry).

Other factor is geographic location and seasonal weather. Example, hubs in the southern U.S. away from the sea are more susceptible to thunderstorm disturbances in summer, as northern hubs are to snow in winter. SFO is always susceptible to fog primarily in summer and winter. Not to mention hubs on the east coast during hurricane season.

Best thing for punters is to ask first, book later.

I knew all those factors would make it difficult. I suppose we can just keep asking questions regarding individual connect times. Thanks for the input.:)

We know that the airlines have their minimum legal layover times but they are not doable in reality. It would be absolutely wonderful if one of you really savvy air gurus could come up with a "sticky" showing the minimum time needed to make a connection in major hubs. I realize it would have to be rough estimates because it all depends on carriers, gates etc. but it sure would be useful in assisting those of us who come on here asking "will I make my flight?"

Subscribe to Expert Flyer - $99/year - and you can pull MCTs for airlines at all airports easily.

Subscribe to Expert Flyer - $99/year - and you can pull MCTs for airlines at all airports easily.

Are the MCTs in Expertflyer the legal times or the "real" times needed to make a connection. For instance ATL is 35 minutes. I wouldn't book anything less than 75 minutes and that's the bare minimum.

Are the MCTs in Expertflyer the legal times or the "real" times needed to make a connection. For instance ATL is 35 minutes. I wouldn't book anything less than 75 minutes and that's the bare minimum.

It might be 35 min. for a DL online-domestic-domestic transfer but 90 min. for an offline DL>AA international-domestic connection. Varies by airport, airline, and route.

What might be unacceptably short to some pax might be unacceptably long to others. The MCTs are designated connection times below which airlines won't "protect" passengers to subsequent flights in the event of misconnection.

You're always free to add whatever additional time you feel is best for your circumstances, but at some point you may run into a different fare calculation.

The only published listing are the official MCTs. For one to talk about a "realistic" MCT would involve way too many factors for it to be both relevant and somewhat accurate.

Just for example....if I am taking my rolling carryon and a briefcase, my RMCT (realistic MCT) is longer than if I just have a newspaper in my hand. My RMCT is faster than Mrs FT, if only because I have longer legs and move a bit faster. At an airport where you know your way around, your RMCT is lower than for "newbies". I'd suspect that Zach's times would be lower than most cruisers, if only for age. And so on.

The biggest thing is to remember that you do NOT have to just accept the connections given by an airline computer. As long as you meet both the minimum and maximum connection times, it's a legal connect. Just because DL's gives you 45 minutes to connect to an Orlando flight doesn't mean that you can't manually construct a connect using a flight that connects in 2 hours, giving you time to grab a bite to eat. You just have to take the effort to:

a) Research the schedules to see what options you have into the hub

b) Research the schedules to see what options you have out of the hub

c) Put them together into combinations that you are happy with

d) Price them out by choosing flights by schedule, not price

e) Book your convenient connection rather than your rushed one.

As long as your connection is either a) within 4 hours of your scheduled arrival or b) the first flight out to your next destination - whichever is longer, it's OK. For international itineraries, change 4 hours to 24 hours, which gives you many more options.

Now, when you only have one connection option, you're limited. But don't just take the easy way and search by price. Because that doesn't always give you the "best" answer.

And when you are at a great airport that is a destination on its own (SIN, HKG and AMS come to mind), you may want to add in time so you can enjoy the airport. Personally, I want to never rush through AMS, so that I can have time for a museum stop. And SIN for the butterfly garden and more.

Good new term: SCT or Sensible Connecting Time. Since DL apparently will start giving away your seats at T-15, a 35 minute connection at their hubs is really only 20 minutes.....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1602225-does-dl-ever-hold-plane-few-minutes-transiting-passenger-s.html