Suite Dining Perks

nanagirl

Which SB are you in? Last time we were on Dawn in a SB they had all the dinner menus in the shelving are by the adjoining balcony cabin.

We are in 10506. Trying to decide if we should book the dining package. If we don't I think we may be sorry.

We are in 10506. Trying to decide if we should book the dining package. If we don't I think we may be sorry.

Really don't understand your being sorry comment. I personally think the UDP is a waste of money. To get your money's worth requires you to eat in a specialty every night. People need to get over the idea that the food and service in the MDRs is sub-par.

I liked and used the three dinner plan they marketed previously. Much more flexbility.

The suite dining perks - I'm sure you know that as a passenger in a suite you have access to Cagney's* for breakfast and lunch.

*Some ships have switched from Cagney's to Moderno for B&L for the suite passengers.

You can have B&L delivered to your suite from Cagney's/Moderno if you want and of course there is no extra charge for that.

We don't do it often, but maybe once or twice per cruise, and always breakfast because sometimes we're not up in time to make it to the restaurant during breakfast hours. (But then I really miss that side buffet they have set up every morning!)

Enjoy your suite and the perks that go with it.

Really don't understand your being sorry comment. I personally think the UDP is a waste of money. To get your money's worth requires you to eat in a specialty every night. People need to get over the idea that the food and service in the MDRs is sub-par.

I liked and used the three dinner plan they marketed previously. Much more flexbility.

Sorry I disagree. I like NCL and am still a customer but I have seen sub-par food in the dining rooms. There are good meals to be had but I agree with other cruisers that their food has gone down in quality over time. How good dinner is, is a roll of the dice as far as I'm concerned in the MDR's. I would love to be proven wrong, but after last year we decided to get the UDP this year. I don't believe we will get it every cruise but that's the decision for this year. I don't think the plan is completely needed but I certainly don't see it as a "waste of money" as from past experience I know there will be some value to it.

We prefer the specialty restaurants far above the MDRs. We did book them every night of our upcoming cruise so the UDP was well worth it to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Everyone's food expectations are different. I am happy that NCL offers us choices. Also happy you are eating in the MDR. I choose not to eat in the MDR because I feel like I'm in a large carnival ride where the main purpose is 'gettem seated, throw food at them, gettem out'. Not a relaxing meal with a server who actually cares (general rule applies here). I prefer the specialty restaurants because 1) I'm a foodie, 2) the servers give the pretense of caring, and lastly because the environment in which we dine is a smaller, more intimate, venue. My remark about being sorry was because I suspect that without the meal plan, we'll spend just as much, but have the up charge in our minds when making dinner plans. NCL offers all types of dining but we tend to be people who live to eat, rather then eat to live.

I don't understand your comment. No one mentioned the MDR being sub-par.

What's wrong with someone just wanting the variety that the Specialty Restaurants offer???? And if they want to purchase a package that allows them to eat in a SR every night, who cares.

I don't understand your comment. No one mentioned the MDR being sub-par.

What's wrong with someone just wanting the variety that the Specialty Restaurants offer???? And if they want to purchase a package that allows them to eat in a SR every night, who cares.

Exactly.

And not only that, his statement:

...To get your money's worth requires you to eat in a specialty every night

is completely inaccurate. I think he needs a new calculator or something.

Not true at all, I just figured it out for our 10 night Jade cruise in December. If we eat 8 nights in the restaurants and order the surcharge menu items in Cagneys and La Bistro we will be ahead, that is the plan

Not true at all, I just figured it out for our 10 night Jade cruise in December. If we eat 8 nights in the restaurants and order the surcharge menu items in Cagneys and La Bistro we will be ahead, that is the plan

Ours is a 13 day Panama Canal cruise, and I figure the 3 of us can eat in specialty restaurants for 9 of 13 nights and pretty much break even. That leaves 4 nights for the MDR or buffet.

And that only includes 1 single trip to Tepanyaki, which we will most likely do twice. Same goes for Le Bistro, possibly. Any additional visits like that just makes the UDP even more appealing.

As well, my calculation does NOT include a few nights when we might do 2 in the same evening. My son and I like the idea of going to LaCucina for a quick caesar salad and splitting a pizza, head to the 7pm show, then visit Cagneys for a steak and fries later.

Ours is a 13 day Panama Canal cruise, and I figure the 3 of us can eat in specialty restaurants for 9 of 13 nights and pretty much break even. That leaves 4 nights for the MDR or buffet.

And that only includes 1 single trip to Tepanyaki, which we will most likely do twice. Same goes for Le Bistro, possibly. Any additional visits like that just makes the UDP even more appealing.

As well, my calculation does NOT include a few nights when we might do 2 in the same evening. My son and I like the idea of going to LaCucina for a quick caesar salad and splitting a pizza, head to the 7pm show, then visit Cagneys for a steak and fries later.

I like how you think, never thought of doing 2 restaurants in one night - i guess they let you do that?

Just an FYI.

We were on the Spirit in July and were in a suite. We originally purchased the UDP but on the second day were told that we could NOT use it to have food from a specialty restaurant delivered to our suite. It was only good if you went to the actual restaurant. We were able to cancel it without any issue. We had decided to only purchase if we could have specialty food delivered to our suite. My mother is in a wheelchair and tires easily. We knew this would be the only way it would work for us.

NCL did tell me that they had tried to offer that service but too many people took advantage by ordering food to their suite for people who had not themselves purchased the package.

Just an FYI.

We were on the Spirit in July and were in a suite. We originally purchased the UDP but on the second day were told that we could NOT use it to have food from a specialty restaurant delivered to our suite. It was only good if you went to the actual restaurant. We were able to cancel it without any issue. We had decided to only purchase if we could have specialty food delivered to our suite. My mother is in a wheelchair and tires easily. We knew this would be the only way it would work for us.

NCL did tell me that they had tried to offer that service but too many people took advantage by ordering food to their suite for people who had not themselves purchased the package.

I can totally understand why NCL would do that. It makes perfect sense from a corporate standpoint.

There's always somebody who abuses the system and ruins it for the rest of us. That's why we can't have nice things.

I can totally understand why NCL would do that. It makes perfect sense from a corporate standpoint.

There's always somebody who abuses the system and ruins it for the rest of us. That's why we can't have nice things.

I was thinking the exact same thing, but they should consider allowing it if everyone in the stateroom has purchased the UDP.

I was thinking the exact same thing, but they should consider allowing it if everyone in the stateroom has purchased the UDP.

Or they could offer it for an increased price for ensuite dining.

But, as always, there are going to be those who will push the envelope.

Just an FYI.

Thanks for the info....I don't blame NCL, there are always people who take advantage. However, as both my DH and I would have the meal plan, it's too bad they can't check and accommodate us as we don't always want to go out. That should be the advantage of the suite.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the info....I don't blame NCL, there are always people who take advantage. However, as both my DH and I would have the meal plan, it's too bad they can't check and accommodate us as we don't always want to go out. That should be the advantage of the suite.:rolleyes:

From NCL's viewpoint - what would stop you from having others to your suite for dinner with you? Many talk about doing it for breakfast.

It is a shame that NCL discontinued the 3 night package for an all voyage

package.

On a 7 day cruise this worked out perfect - a different restaurant/buffet

every night at an affordable option ($65 base price reduced to $57).

But take a 10 dayer or 14 or more and it is absolute overkill. The best

option would have been twice around on the 3 dinner package.

But NO some unruly bean counter had to go and mess the works up

in the name of "Customer Crowd Pleasing" - Well "BS" with that idea !

Why would I or anyone want the hassle of booking reservations each night

at a speciality restaurant when each member of my party of 7 may have

other ideas about what to do each of those evenings ?

In retrospect NCL should offer BOTH packages to cover all the "Customer

Crowd Pleasing" options - something for everyone.

"ANYONE AT NCL LISTENING READING THIS !!!!!" ?????

It is a shame that NCL discontinued the 3 night package for an all voyage

package.

On a 7 day cruise this worked out perfect - a different restaurant/buffet

every night at an affordable option ($65 base price reduced to $57).

But take a 10 dayer or 14 or more and it is absolute overkill. The best

option would have been twice around on the 3 dinner package.

But NO some unruly bean counter had to go and mess the works up

in the name of "Customer Crowd Pleasing" - Well "BS" with that idea !

Why would I or anyone want the hassle of booking reservations each night

at a speciality restaurant when each member of my party of 7 may have

other ideas about what to do each of those evenings ?

In retrospect NCL should offer BOTH packages to cover all the "Customer

Crowd Pleasing" options - something for everyone.

"ANYONE AT NCL LISTENING READING THIS !!!!!" ?????

We sailed on the Star for 38 days earlier this year. We purchased the UDP, did not feel it was overkill. In fact, we believed it resulted in no overeating. No reason to try everything in one night because we would be back again and again if we chose. 38 days cruising and no weight gain.

Chris