Passport Renewels

atdahop

For those who have recently been on the roundtrip cruises to Hawaii that dock outside Enseneda. Mexico for a day...

My passport is expiring in March 2015... my roundtrip cruise to Hawaii doesn't start until April 29...

I don't really want to pay $110 for a passport that I'll never use again (I don't intend to travel outside the US anymore...)

So, can I spend $30 to get a passport card, so that I can sit on the boat while everyone else visits Enseneda on the one day we'll be there (I have no intention of going in to the town) or should I really get a passport to be on the safe side?

From the Princess site under Cruise Answer Place, Preparing for you cruise

Document Requirements for US and Canadian Passport Holders

A valid passport is required for all international itineraries including Africa, Asia, Australia and New Zealand, Europe, India, Central and South America, South Pacific, Tahiti and World Cruises. Although US and Canadian passport holders are not currently required to sail with a passport on most domestic itineraries (including Alaska, Bermuda, Canada, Caribbean, Hawaii, and Mexico and Panama Canal), Princess highly recommends they are carried.

If your cruise requires international air travel, including flights between the US and Canada, the Caribbean, Bermuda or Mexico, you will be required to present a valid passport when departing from or returning to the US by air. Even if your cruise does not involve air travel outside the US, should you be required to unexpectedly depart a vessel prior to the end of the sailing, a passport would be required to re-enter the US by air. As such, Princess Cruises continues to strongly recommend that all passengers are in possession of a valid passport.

For domestic itineraries for which a passport is not required, US and Canadian passport holders must present one of the following valid Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant travel documents at cruise check-in:

Passport Book: Recommended travel document

US Passport Card

US or Canadian Issued Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)

US or Canadian Issued Identification Card (issued to minors and non-drivers)

NEXUS Card Air travel is limited to participating airports

SENTRI and FAST cards

From the Princess site under Cruise Answer Place, Preparing for you cruise

Although US and Canadian passport holders are not currently required to sail with a passport on most domestic itineraries (including Alaska, Bermuda, Canada, Caribbean, Hawaii, and Mexico and Panama Canal), Princess highly recommends they are carried.

Even if your cruise does not involve air travel outside the US, should you be required to unexpectedly depart a vessel prior to the end of the sailing, a passport would be required to re-enter the US by air. As such, Princess Cruises continues to strongly recommend that all passengers are in possession of a valid passport.

Hi, thanks for your response.

Yes, I had seen the material you quoted... but what I want to know is... will I be penalized by Princess if I just bring the passport card rather than a passport?

I have no intention of going into Mexico, I'll stay on the boat.

And I have no intention of departing a vessel unexpectedly prior to the end of sailing - I assume they mean if there is a fire on board while we're sitting outside Ensenda? I'd rent a car and drive back to the good ol USA with the Passport card should that happen!

So all I'm concerned about is, will the passport card be good enough to get me on the ship, or will I be turned away because they "strongly recommend" the passport, and "strongly recommend" actually means - bring it or else?

LOL, I don't know what happened with that link! :p But this is the one I meant to post.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/do-i-need.html

Edited by Love.II.Cruise

Hi, thanks for your response.

Yes, I had seen the material you quoted... but what I want to know is... will I be penalized by Princess if I just bring the passport card rather than a passport?

I have no intention of going into Mexico, I'll stay on the boat.

And I have no intention of departing a vessel unexpectedly prior to the end of sailing - I assume they mean if there is a fire on board while we're sitting outside Ensenda? I'd rent a car and drive back to the good ol USA with the Passport card should that happen!

So all I'm concerned about is, will the passport card be good enough to get me on the ship, or will I be turned away because they "strongly recommend" the passport, and "strongly recommend" actually means - bring it or else?

First of all, it's a ship, not a boat.

Second, you can bring your DL and birth certificate or passport card. This is good only for closed loop cruises. My husband never had a passport and we have cruised to Hawaii four times... Yes, you can get off the ship in Ensenada.

Of course, it's always better to bring a regular passport.

By the way, many of us love Mexico and have been there many times!

Edited by Working 2 Cruise

I mailed my old passport back on August 4th, requesting expedited service and overnight mail return. Once I learned from you fine people that I could check online and they'd actually e-mail me (!!!), I tried that. Yesterday (8/14) I received an e-mail advising me that "we have finished processing your passport, and it has been mailed to you. You should receive it on or about 8/17." Today (8/15), I received an e-mail advising me "we have finished processing your passport, and it has been printed." I DO hope they printed it first before they mailed it. :eek: I'll let you know what arrives. :D

My crisp new passport arrived yesterday, so they really did overnight it to me. :D That was 11 days, door to door. I'm guessing they'll eventually return my beat-up old one with holes punched in it.

Just for some more numeric information. I mailed my certified, July 21, they received July 24, check cashed July 28th and am still waiting. So if you expect to get yours around August 18th, I will probably, hopefully, be about a week later. So if we get them around the times we hope, it looks like it is taking about a month.

Pooh

Got email on 8/14 stating my passport was in the mail and receive by 8/20th. I received it this a.m. on 8/16. From Philly to CO in two days. Impressed.

So started normal no expediting process by mailing application on 7/21 and received passport 8/16.

Pooh

Got email on 8/14 stating my passport was in the mail and receive by 8/20th. I received it this a.m. on 8/16. From Philly to CO in two days. Impressed.

So started normal no expediting process by mailing application on 7/21 and received passport 8/16.

Pooh

Not bad. :)