12 years old becomes an adult how come

hayleyfever

This. (At Disney's Magic Kingdom for example those 10 and older pay the same price.)

I had to pay adult prices for DS for Cedar Point when he was 4 because he was above the 48" height limit for the lower prices. Now at 20 and 6'8" he is too tall to ride some of the rides:(.

Why does it bother you if someone does get a discount because they have a child? Offering a discount for children is an obvious way to attract families to your business (and once the little ones are inside you have all kinds of froo froo junk for sale that they will pester mom and dad to buy at an enormouse mark up, thereby offsetting any discount by ten fold;)). (Edit- enourmouse was actually a typo, but it fits so I'll leave it :).)

Not sure the poster that asked was "bothered", only asking.

Using the logic of attracting more people... they should give a discount for my wife so she will come along and spend more money.

They don't because there is a cost to have her onboard, just like kids.

My family of five is sailing in two connecting cabins. We're paying the same fare for my 10.5 and 8 year olds as we are for my husband and me. Only my six year old is being charged a reduced fare, and that is only because he is the third person in one of the rooms.

I just figured that is how it works. The prices are always "double occupancy", so my kids now each become the second people in those cabins.

Do other cruise lines do it differently?

Not the ones I've been on.

On the EU site last year I booked 1 adult and 2 children into a balcony and 1 adult and 1 child into an inside

Each adult paid the normal rate + full taxes and each second child paid 1/2 the adult price + full taxes and the 3rd child payed the the 3rd person rate + taxes

When I put in 3 adults one and two where normal price and there was a 3rd person rate

This was done on the Epic last year and a few of the winter Spirit sailings but no other ships and only from Barcelona. I think this was done to encourage Spanish customers to book. This was never advertised as a special or residents rate and I only realized my self when I went onto the final page to book the cruise and the price suddenly dropped.

I phoned the EU number, which put me through to offices in the UK, because I thought it was a glitch with the website. They confirmed the final quote was correct.

I haven't checked to see if they have done something similar this year

Damon

As you can see from all the other posts, that is definitely not the norm. Maybe that's EU or UK versus US? Or just a special sale?

Using the logic of attracting more people... they should give a discount for my wife so she will come along and spend more money.

They don't because there is a cost to have her onboard, just like kids.

Because of that, there is a breakeven point where the line will actively lose money on having that passenger aboard. It's likely that they could discount your wife and still be above the breakeven point, but that eats into their profit margin. For some heavy spenders, they could even offer the rooms for free and still make money off of the passenger. That's why the CAS program comps staterooms.

We just booked a cruise with Ncl in Jan 2015. Our kids our grown but I did notice kids travel free atleast on this cruise. Also a few years ago we took our 16yo daughter and her best friend on a Costa cruise. At that time, not sure currently with 2 paying adults 2 children under 18 where free. You just paid the taxes and I think it was about 85-95$ each.

Hi all

Slightly miffed since coming back from our cruise aboard the epic. We had such a great time and wanted to book again but why do you have to pay for a child that it currently 11 and next year will be just 12 but they have to pay the same price as an adult....

How is that

Any answers welcome?

hayley

Same way a 10 year old pays adult prices at Disney. Because the company decided so.

From what I can tell the OP is "miffed" because she is expected to pay a different rate for her child on a future cruise than she did on her current cruise, thus the frustration. Obviously her child had a reduced rate this time and she expected to pay at a similar/same rate next time.

So, my question is what was the rate for her child on the current cruise? Was there a reduced child's rate special for her Epic cruise? Or did she get a reduced rate because her child was simply the third person in the cabin? Perhaps the OP doesn't realize that the third person in a cabin will sail at a cheaper rate regardless of age. My advice to OP would be to do a mock booking for the desired future cruise date and see what the prices would work out to be for her child as the third person in the cabin regardless of her age. She might end up being pleasantly surprised. If the rates are not acceptable, wait for a kids sail free promotion when the third and fourth persons in the cabin will sail free. Either way, no reason to let the situation negate or dampen the great time just had. There's sure to be a deal to be had later.