British Airways On Strike - Aug 12

Krazy Kruizers

Apparently this will only effect flights into/out of Heathrow Airport through August 15th. Flights to/through London Gatwick appear to be uninterrupted. British Airways is offering effected passengers full reimbursement on one way tickets rebooked on other airlines

USA passengers should call 1-800-airways for further information on rebooking or go to ba.com for further details.

Cheers

General Max

Did you hear that British Airways went on strike today stranding nearly 50,000 (one report) or 70,000 (another report).

Hope none of you have to fly them to get to an European cruise.

All of BA is not on strike. The catering company at Heathrow walked out and BA's baggage handlers and loaders followed in sympathy, shutting down operations at Heathrow. That snowballed to all other airports for BA flights into and out of Heathrow. Following is a brief excerpt from the NY Times article:

"Problems for British Airways' flights started Thursday after baggage handlers and other ground staff joined an industrial dispute between the airline's caterer, Gate Gourmet, and its work force. .... A union representing Gate Gourmet, which provides onboard meals for British Airways flights, said the company had fired 800 workers on Wednesday. The company said only 667 workers had been dismissed. British Airways' workers, including baggage handlers and loaders represented by the same union -- the Transport and General Workers union -- stopped work in sympathy with the fired catering staff"

My son is back in London today to fly home tomorrow from Heathrow, but on Virgin Atlantic. He's been in Europe since June 1. I hope this doesn't affect him somehow. He's running out of money. ;-P

"Problems for British Airways' flights started Thursday after baggage handlers and other ground staff joined an industrial dispute between the airline's caterer, Gate Gourmet, and its work force. .... A union representing Gate Gourmet, which provides onboard meals for British Airways flights, said the company had fired 800 workers on Wednesday. The company said only 667 workers had been dismissed. British Airways' workers, including baggage handlers and loaders represented by the same union -- the Transport and General Workers union -- stopped work in sympathy with the fired catering staff"

:eek: :eek: My husband is a 20 year employee of Gate Gourmet here in Las Vegas. I know the company has been threatening huge cutbacks in pay Worldwide but it was suppose to be going to an arbitrator because company wide employees voted not to take pay cuts. Gate Gourmet wanted everyone worldwide to make the same amount of money which for my husband was a 40% pay cut and for others around the world especially New York and San Francisco was more than 60%. Darn Tom just left for work or I would of told him about this. I guess I will hear more tonight when he gets home. This is all news to us.

I can just imagine the mass confusion at LHR, its confusing at the best of times and with all of the irate pax it must be a nightmare. I try to avoid LHR when I fly home every year, using Birmingham instead. One thing in Europe, they support their unions and lots of pax and workers will refuse to cross a picket line.........jean :cool:

Archived