Tipping on Avalon?

yogimax

For river cruises, yes the CD's work freelance. They are hired on contract by the cruise lines and move from ship to ship. However these are still professionals and the fact cruise lines do not compensate them appropriately is crazy, it is probably to keep them 'at their best' so they must rely on passenger gratuities.

BTW Entertainers are work on contact's but you do not tip them.

Crazy? Sure is, but that's the way it rolls . . . Assuming the CD/PD does a good job, I'll tip. From what I understand, you are correct about keeping them on their toes.

The model river cruise lines use is the same as a European bus tour. You have a tour director for the entire trip, which is the CD on cruises, and individual local tour guides whom you tip as you go. At the end of the bus tour, one would (hopefully) tip the tour director that's been traveling with you the last x days. Seems the same should apply to the CD. We need to equate the position to a bus tour director, not an ocean cruise liner Cruise Director.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My only objection to the "tips/gratuity" was how it was handled. We were told it was "optional" for the CD and Concierge and also "optional" for the ships crew. BUT the CD/Concierge "optional" tip/gratuity was automatically CHARGED on your credit card at 5 euros pp/day. ("THEY" decided the 5) and NOTHING was charged for the crew. (Suggested amounts were 3-6 Euros pp/per day for CD/Concierge and 9-11 for crew.) You had the optional to change the CD/Concierge amount but you had to indicated the crew amount (OR THEY GOT NOTHING). Envelopes were provided for individual tipping and also general crew tipping. It was all rather confusing and several people were still trying to straighten things out on the last day.

Was this on Avalon, or another line? Trying to clarify because 1) this thread is specifically about Avalon; and 2) we'll be on Avalon in December;)