New York Arrival Immigration

Project_gal

It doesn't WHAT? If you mean that it does not need to be sent to the Embassy, yes, it has to. There are also agencies doing the job, but in the end it's the embassy who approves the ESTA application. Still, this does not automatically mean that the person will be allowed to immigrate. Point à la ligne.

It doesn't need to be sent anywhere. The ESTA application is approved online. Do you possess one? The clue is in the name "The Electronic System for Travel Authorization", Electronic authorisation rather than Embassy authorisation. Vous avez des questions?

Edited by capnpugwash

It doesn't need to be sent anywhere. The ESTA application is approved online. Do you possess one? The clue is in the name "The Electronic System for Travel Authorization", Electronic authorisation rather than Embassy authorisation. Vous avez des questions?

Yes, and before it's approved by the embassy, the applicant has to send it online, or by any other means , to the embassy, or do you use telepathy?

It doesn't WHAT? If you mean that it does not need to be sent to the Embassy, yes, it has to. There are also agencies doing the job, but in the end it's the embassy who approves the ESTA application.
Sorry Cats2010, but in the vast majority of simple applications (made in the UK for example), you're mistaken.

ESTA applications are usually done all on line, in seconds, print it off afterwards. Job done.

If you've applied (assuming yours was a simple application) through a third party who've taken your money and told you that you now have to send your application to an Embassy to be "approved", then you've been "had".

I've done the process twice now, and never sent anything, anywhere, to anyone.

Best wishes,

Edited by pepperrn

Yes, and before it's approved by the embassy, the applicant has to send it online, or by any other means , to the embassy, or do you use telepathy?

You've been misled. There is no Embassy involvement at all and please don't try to be smart to me, It doesn't suit you.

You've been misled. There is no Embassy involvement at all and please don't try to be smart to me, It doesn't suit you.

I am not misled nor do I try to be smart on you. Why should I? I try to be precise, and this because somebody requires useful information on how to do it. In addition, I have done online ESTA applications many times and it always worked and, yes, I have sent them to the embassy, which approved them.

I am not misled nor do I try to be smart on you. Why should I? I try to be precise, and this because somebody requires useful information on how to do it. In addition, I have done online ESTA applications many times and it always worked and, yes, I have sent them to the embassy, which approved them.

Are you in the UK? The scheme started in January 2010 and they last 2 years, how "many " times can you have applied?

Edited by capnpugwash

The worst thing is that the ESTA does not guarantee admission.

I know of someone who was rejected at the UK airport. Apparently one of the party submitted all the ESTA's and answered 'no' to all appropriate questions and got the appropriate visas back for all. It appears the rejected party had previously had a visa declined. I don't know the reason or when but the point is the ESTA system appears not to check properly before granting the visa. That is very worrying.

In fact, does it actually check anything before granting a 'yes'?

Edited by PurpleMoonlight

Are you in the UK? The scheme started in January 2010 and they last 2 years, how "many " times can you have applied?

I am on the continent. I don't think the systems differ very much and I don't think immigration to the US can be granted without involving the embassy, or do you still have special arrangements?

Yes, indeed, I have done it many times since 2010, because I have been to the States many times.

I am on the continent. I don't think the systems differ very much and I don't think immigration to the US can be granted without involving the embassy, or do you still have special arrangements?

Yes, indeed, I have done it many times since 2010, because I have been to the States many times.

I'm talking about the UK and there is no Embassy submission, I have no idea about how the USA treat people from mainland Europe. All that we need to do is update our arrival information on line each time we are about to enter the USA. They require 72 hours notice.

Edited by capnpugwash

I'm talking about the UK and there is no Embassy submission, I have no idea about how the USA treat people from mainland Europe.

So you have special arrangements. If you don't want to give more explanations on this I can always ask my neighbour.

Anyway, wherever this subject is being discussed, there is a lot of confusion :D.

I have never had a problem, but I can't speak for others. However, there have been cases in the media reporting that people were refused and sent back to their country. In general I think that many people consider these rules to be very (if not too) strict and inappropriate, but most probably this can be explained by history.

The OP is from the UK and has been given ESTA information about how to proceed in the UK.

Talking about the arrangements/requirements of those living in mainland Europe could just cause confusion.

Until now I did not know that the UK has special arrangements with the US, but I am going to have it confirmed by an official.

If the OP has received contradictory information, she will now know how to proceed after having read the comments.

There is a post one of the other cruise forum titled, My Mojo was a NO-GO.

A gentleman of around 80 years of age who with his wife were going on a fly cruise to the states from the UK. They had booked with Virgin Holidays and had applied for an esta through Virgin Travel by phone rather then fill the form out them selves.

It turned out that his wife was a British Subject. Not British Citizen, Although the Esta apparently got approved and they all thought they were ready to board to Aircraft. At the check in desk, the wife got refused permission to board without a visa. needless they did not travel.

An expensive mistake.

Cats - you have only succeeded in confusing everyone - your information for the UK is incorrect. We apply on line, pay the fee, and print out our ESTA immediately. We do not need to submit it to any embassy and they are valid for 2 years from the day of application. We then produce it at Southampton at the check in desk (if they ask to see it - sometimes they haven't always asked) otherwise we produce it at immigration along with passports, at New York or point of entry in USA. That's it.

Until now I did not know that the UK has special arrangements with the US, but I am going to have it confirmed by an official.

If the OP has received contradictory information, she will now know how to proceed after having read the comments.

Thank you for your concern but I, as the OP, did not ask about the ESTA nor US Visas. My question was about the procedure once the ship arrives in New York and Calliope kindly answered my question in post x.

Cats - you have only succeeded in confusing everyone - your information for the UK is incorrect. We apply on line, pay the fee, and print out our ESTA immediately. We do not need to submit it to any embassy and they are valid for 2 years from the day of application. We then produce it at Southampton at the check in desk (if they ask to see it - sometimes they haven't always asked) otherwise we produce it at immigration along with passports, at New York or point of entry in USA. That's it.

Morgans, there is no confusion. Had you read my posts you could have saved the time to make this comment. Not everybody in this world is English :D, the principle is the same, especially after 9/11.

I stop this farce now.

Morgans, there is no confusion. ... Not everybody in this world is English :D ...
Hi Cats2010,

No, but that's where the OP lives (England/UK), as you can see in the 1st post. You could have said "I'm not sure if this applies in all countries but where I live in xxx we have to do ESTAs this way... You may have different rules where you live"

Or not mentioned ESTA at all, if you were unsure.

Then the confusion in this thread you introduced would not have occurred.

Not everybody in this world lives in the same country as you :D .

Best wishes,

Edited by pepperrn

Once the online form is completed, the submission is electronic. The UK has no more a special arrangement for ESTA than any other eligible country.

All ESTA applications are submitted to the same department which is The Department of Homeland Security

I have no idea if it's checked manually [i doubt it for the regular correct yes/no tick box and submit details form] at a particular embassy or visa application's head office buried away deep in the heart of wherever the department is situated or if it's just an automated check by a computer

An embassy only becomes directly involved if an applicant has to have a face to face meeting with a consular official in order to obtain a non electronic visa for whatever reason.

As to another post where a traveller was denied travel with an ESTA because he had had a visa refused previously, it shows that although an ESTA can be granted by giving the required [which aren't necessarily the correct answers] answers online, the traveller's details are cross checked again with other information held on record.

The information Cats2010 is giving here is incorrect as anyone who has been through the process will know.

Sending the completed ESTA form to an embassy is a good way of losing it.

The best advice is to ignore Cats posts on this subject.

David.

• 1 month later...