Fjords cruise in September

IrishTraveller

Doing the fjords cruise on eclipse in September,

Stops are Bergen, flam, geiranger, alesund, stavanger.... Anyone going on this trip.. Set sail aug 30 from Southampton, and anyone got suggestions on things to do... Excursions to take?

Generally do my own thing especially if there is a hoho bus, but Flam doesn't have one... Should I book an excursion for the railway there, or just wing it?..

All suggestions very much appreciated.

Hello Irishatraveller,

Welcome here!

If you want very specific answers to your questions about your cruise I suggest you click on "Find your celebrity roll call"just above your post.

Celebrity

Eclipse

The month you are cruising and choose the date

People there will be cruising with you and will give you plenty of informations/ suggestions.

Wish you an amazing cruise!

Josée

Stops are Bergen, flam, geiranger, alesund, stavanger.... Anyone going on this trip.. Set sail aug 30 from Southampton, and anyone got suggestions on things to do... Excursions to take?

Generally do my own thing especially if there is a hoho bus, but Flam doesn't have one... Should I book an excursion for the railway there, or just wing it?..

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Here is the link to our roll call for your cruise on the Eclipse.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1859922

Hey, we did a similar itinerary on the Eclipse in July. It was amazing!

Geiranger - keep an eye out in "Celebrity Today" (the on board newsletter) the night before for an invite to the helipad when you are arriving - we loved this. I would do the HoHo here, very easy to find. We went to the Herdalsetter Mountain Farm which was good but I would have liked more time in Geiranger itself.

Alesund - there are lots of buses on the pier to the Atlantic Sea Park. We took the road train to the viewing point then enjoyed some shopping, it was a nice place to walk around.

Stavanger - the jellyfish in the harbour amazed me, they were everywhere! We did a boat trip on the Lyjesfjord which again you can get off the ship and pretty much walk on to.

Hope you enjoy your cruise, we really did.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Flam railway to Myrdal, then 'normal'railway to Voss, then coach back, best excursion Ive ever been on. The waterfall halfway up the Flam railway is fantastic.t0ncs9.jpg

Edited by SWORRUB1

If you like hiking, Geiranger has amazing hiking you can do right from the dock (it's a bit strenuous getting to Westeras farm where the main junction of hiking trails is), but the views are worth it! Celebrity has a hiking bus tour that takes to to Westeras and you hike from there, bypassing the most strenuous part IMO.

Bergen is also easy to do on your own. You can take the funicular to the top and walk around or do a bike tour (buy tickets for this at the top).

Also walking around the old historic part of town and the fish market is fun!

Just a note about Flam.

We did this on Eclipse in May. In Flam, there is virtually nothing but the railway (maybe one small cafe and a small store or two) so either book the train on your own or book the (overpriced) Celebrity excursion, but DO NOT "wing it" in that port.

We didn't take any trip through the ship. Our itinerary was slightly different from yours:

Stavanger - took the Rodne boat to Lysefjord. We reserved through their site, and paid on arrival. I suggest you mail this lady, because I remember that their last ship was 2pm. Anna.Froyland@rodne.no

Geiranger - took the local bus to mount Dalsnibba, right on the pier, tickets at the tourist office. Get there quickly, not enough places... Amazing views. For Geiranger, I suggest you mail

bussmore@fjord1.no

to see about the bus of 0940, when is it coming back and if it works WE.

From Geiranger 0940 To Dalsnibba

Bergen - took the funicular to Mount Floyen, walked back down. Amazing views. You can buy tickets at the tourrist info only if you want return tickets. So we stood in a long line for tickets for about 45 minutes, while groups had priority...

ZE]

Bergen[/size][/url] - took the funicular to Mount Floyen' date=' [u']walked back down[/u]. Amazing views. You can buy tickets at the tourrist info only if you want return tickets. So we stood in a long line for tickets for about 45 minutes, while groups had priority...

If you're up for it, I hiked up to the top of the funicular and bought a one way ticket back down. No line to buy tickets at the top :-P

The views hiking up aren't anything special, but we spent about the same amount of time hiking up as the wait in line is at the bottom.