QE2 - January 3, 2006 - Six Day Crossing

eroller

What about setting up two meeting times/points? First nighters in the champagne bar, first full day out in the Chart Room? That way, if anyone misses the first night for any reason they don't have to wander around looking for groups and people murmuring "Cruise Critic?" and waiting for a response.

Ken:

I think having two meeting times/points is a great idea.

Tom

PS I think I must have been standing very near you, Ken, up under the bridge, last December as we were waiting to set sail. I stayed up there for a couple of hours, finally going below deck ONLY after hearing the three blasts of the ship's whistle and pulling away from the quay.

I'm with Ken's plan. Seems to make sense to me. This is really coming up soon now! Two months from now I'll be staying with friends in London in preparation for for the crossing. Has anyone ever stayed at the Sofitel in Southampton? I was thinking of arriving the day before the sailing so that I could be rested. Last December I was sort of worn out from a night of partying the night before and catching the bus early from London..

I've been on QE2 four times, but I can't figure out where the Champagne bar is! Can someone enlighten me?

The champagne bar in question is the Princess Grill Bar on One Deck.

It is now alternately called Champagne Bar and Princess Grill Bar but I think Princess Grill Bar is still the official name.

It was originally, as the name suggests, the bar for the Grill Room (later Princess Grill). In the big 1994 refit, the Crystal Bar was created and became the "designated" before-dinner-drinks spot for the Princess and Britannia Grills (or so the designers intended), and the Princess Grill Bar became a champagne bar, though I guess whether or not that is its proper name is open for debate.

I am not sure but I think it used to be open only to Princess Grill passengers. Now it is open to everyone.

Incidentally I just realized (maybe through wishful thinking) that I have not mentioned that barring some unforseen miracle I am not going to be able to make this crossing. Just too many things going on right now, unfortunately... So like a few others who have posted on this thread I will have to live vicariously through the many members who will be there.

I am going to try to weasel my way into being able to visit the ship when she is in NYC on 9 January, and I will try my best to make the Jan 2007 crossing... Which may tie into a project I am working on right now.

Hi John,

Welcome to "The Winter Crossing Club"! Join us all for cocktails at the Champagne Bar and bring your stories of earlier sailings on the QE2, QUEEN OF BERMUDA, OCEAN MONARCH and ROTTERDAM.

Hello Calliope,

Thanks for the welcome. I look forward to the crossing & conversation & cocktails--though my drink of necessity (not choice) might have to be ginger ale, because I'm told champagne & Bonine don't mix!

Cheers,

John

John/Post Captain:

Rotterdam in 1966 ! Wow. That brings to mind a whole other era for passenger ship enthusiasts.

In 1966 you could sail to and from Europe -as you did- with Holland-America Line, as well as Cunard (of course), United States Lines, French Line, Italian Line, among others.

I'm not sure about service operated by American Export Lines, and others, as of '66.

Also, farther afield, you could embark on liner voyages aboard Union-Castle between the UK and South Africa, sail aboard Matson Lines ships between California and Hawaii, travel American President Lines to the Far East from California, and still take -I think- P&O's "Oriana" between Britain and Australia.....all still in 1966.

Even as Pan American, TWA, BOAC, Air France and all the rest were slowly taking more and more passengers away from ships - a year like 1966 looks, from the vantage point of 2005, like a "golden era" for passenger ships.

See you aboard !!

Tom

Hello Tom,

We initially were booked on the Queen Mary for the 1966 crossing; but the infamous seamen's strike put paid to that voyage, & indeed hastened the demise of the old Cunard. (No doubt you've seen those black & white photos of all the Cunard liners tied up in Southampton during the strike.)

Anyway, we switched to the Rotterdam, & I recall many details of the voyage & the ship to this day. It was a fine childhood adventure, despite my first encounter with mal de mer.

I'll save more stories for the Champagne Bar & the Chart Room...

Cheers,

John

This is really coming up soon now! Two months from now I'll be staying with friends in London in preparation for for the crossing.

in Southampton? I was thinking of arriving the day before the sailing so that I could be rested.

John:

Two points -

Yes, it is really getting close now. For those of us on this side of the Atlantic having the Thanksgiving holiday coming up in approx. three weeks will keep things busy, and then Christmas looms on the horizon. Time is going to fly by...

With regard to staying the night before in Southampton, I highly recommend it !! While not being able to comment specifically about the Sofitel, I can say that my wife and I stayed in Southampton the night before last December's crossing and really enjoyed it. It was fun to wander the streets, walk along the waterfront, visit the Maritime Museum, and to just have a quiet overnight before the big ship arrived.

One additional advantage to being in Southampton the night before: if you're so inclined, you can get up at about 6AM and go down to the pier near the Red Funnel Ferries (a good vantage point) to view QE2's arrival. It's quite a sight to see our beloved ship, lights ablaze, quietly, dramatically and majestically inching her way up to the Queen Elizabeth II Terminal.

Tom

Please add us to the Winter Crossing list.

We are soooo excited. Booked this in 1994, couldn't go, booked this in 2004, couldn't go. This year, we are going, no matter what happens. Getting too old NOT to make this fabulous journey.

Hope to join in on all the fun.

Dennis and Gina

Tom,

Thanks for the tips. Yes, I think that I'll just go ahead and book the hotel. It looks centrally located and the price isn't bad. Getting up early to watch the QE2 arrives sound great, though whether I actually accomplish that or not...

QE2 Winter Crossing Club

January 2006 Crossing

Southampton-NY

* Brian Boru (Chris)

* Stowaway2K (Kyle)

* Ken W

* sfo-john

* transat jon

* guernseyguy (Peter)

* eroller (Ernie)

* Cruisin Pup

* Richard Schmidt

* Mr. Murdoch

* Transatlantic Tom

* juliecat (Julia)

* Calliope

* Bluenoser

* Confetti

* transat

* sandiegoprincess (Sandi)

* seagreen

* tandemtourer

* captaintandem

* Post Captain (John)

* greatam (Dennis & Gina)

We were beginning to think that the gangplank had been raised after we joined the group. Welcome to you, Dennis and Gina and to you and your wife, Post Captain.

Post Captain, you and I sailed the Rotterdam during the same era. Did you go about the ship on your own and discover the secret of the staircase? To this day my mother is horrified that she permitted me explore the ship by myself.

Even better than staying in Southampton the night before sailing would be booking accommodation in Hythe. The town is lovely, pedestrian friendly, and affords matchless views of the Southampton docks. If you arise early enough you can watch our ship sail in and do her turn just she ties up. The Hythe Ferry will sail close by QE2 and will dock at Town Quay which is a reasonable walk to the QEII terminal although taxis are available.

Regarding meeting times/places: two meetings sound good to us, we'd prefer that they were both scheduled to be at the cocktail hour. During the day we plan to be mesmerized by the timeless joy of crossing the steel-grey North Atlantic on one of the greatest ships still afloat.

Rebecca (tandemtourer) and Tom (captaintandem)

Has anyone ever stayed at the Sofitel in Southampton? I was thinking of arriving the day before the sailing so that I could be rested. Last December I was sort of worn out from a night of partying the night before and catching the bus early from London..

Hey there Jon

You should check out the Dolphin Hotel in Southampton.

Convenient area, and very reasonable prices.

:)

http://www.activehotels.com/servlet/xmlbrochure/index.do?hotelid=222660&trkref=KWI&language=en

For those of you booked in promo rate guarantees, many cabins are being assigned this week. In fact you may already have a cabin number.

Ernie

Just checked with Cunard - C5 4 deck midships - 200 sq ft, so pretty good - and beds by porthole, not one of those 'porthole down a corridor' layouts - in fact similar in layout to my last M1 - only 50% bigger! - only hope is that the sound insulation works as its a connecting cabin!

Peter

No such luck for me today finding out which room "Confetti" and I will be in next January. I'll just have to try again in a day or two. We'll keep our collective fingers crossed, and we'll hope for the best when we do find out.

I'm Frank and she's Cheryl.

QE2 Winter Crossing Club

January 2006 Crossing

Southampton-NY

* Brian Boru (Chris)

* Stowaway2K (Kyle)

* Ken W

* sfo-john

* transat jon

* guernseyguy (Peter)

* eroller (Ernie)

* Cruisin Pup

* Richard Schmidt

* Mr. Murdoch

* Transatlantic Tom

* juliecat (Julia)

* Calliope

* Bluenoser

* Confetti

* transat

* sandiegoprincess (Sandi)

* seagreen

* tandemtourer

* captaintandem

* Post Captain (John)

* greatam (Dennis & Gina)

How may of you folks are continuing on from NYC as part of the world cruise?

I am sailing on the NYC to LA portion somewhere in Caronia. Checked today for details but nothing assigned yet. Cunard said they will not be assigning cabins until "the ship begins to fill up more" Interesting comment I thought given the sailing is just a few days short of two months away.

Well, it is official! I sold a house, bought a house and booked this trip!

We will be in a M4 cabin, somewhere.

This will be a really quick trip for us. Fly over, board, sail, fly home. No pre or post days. Just a quick getaway to rest up. Big trip planned in the fall, Panama Canal with Celebrity.

Just me, Kyla, and my DH, Troy.

Looks like I'm in cabin 4217. A slight upgrade from my guarantee. Should be pretty roomy for me.

That would be awful to get bumped. I'm so looking forward to sailing out of NY Harbor.

Tumeroll: There's a number of us doing the crossing and then staying on for the two days to Ft Lauderdale...

Archived