QE2 - January 3, 2006 - Six Day Crossing

eroller

And was accosted with sellers of more merchandise than they have at Bloomies.

ONLY in NYC.

That was Ex-Bloomies merchandise obtained through the five finger discount. A&S had to close their Brooklyn store becasue they could not keep it stocked due to pilfering out of both the front and back doors.

So that's where all the stuff came from. I saw lingerie, the ever present boomboxes, all kinds of clothes, and too much other stuff to mention. Sad state of affairs. I do not buy off the street unless it is a kiosk type place, as most of it is probably stolen.

Hoping to meet you when you board in NYC. I love your posts, especially on the fashion board.

Gina

Just to let you know..I am not in this cabin anymore. We have been moved to 1012.

Congrats!!! Very Nice upgrade.

I still want to trade my upgraded cabin for cabin 2004. Guess I will just have to ask the occupant when will board.

Northbound towards the GW Bridge. Traffic stopped right by the police station "Fort Apache, the Bronx".

Though I see your current location is not NYC you must have originally lived in the vicinity. Not everyone knows about "Fort Apache" I used to teach economics to the Cops and Firemen in the stationhouses and that was one I refused to go to. Did the one up by the zoo and even there it was touch and go back in the late 70's

Looking forward to meeting everyone still on board from the "Crossing" It sounds like you all will be having a real blast.

Thanks..We paid to go from an M4 to an M1
No mistaking the fact that it was money well spent!

After you posted that you had been offered a change to pay for an upgrade I called my TA that afternoon to see what other upcharges might be available and was told that there were none.

We're very happy to have landed on One Deck also. The last time we were onboard the Pavilion was the only place (except for room service) to obtain coffee before the Lido opened for breakfast.

When I lived in NYC (Queens and Manhattan), I was one of those CRAZY people that had a car.

Not crazy in Queens - at least in many parts of Queens, most people have cars.

Traffic was no worse than LA or Atlanta

It would be if the same percentage of people drove in NYC as drive in LA or Atlanta ;) !

Anyway, all WCC members should be pleased to know that the transit strike is now over. Apparently the union leader miscalculated in his belief that "all New Yorkers will be behind us"...

IF the grades were the same as on my 1971 Deck Plan

From your examples, it seems quite possible that these grades are actually the same as the originals.

The only ones that puzzle me are the L and J as the L cabin looks much smaller than what would now be a C2 or C3, and the J cabin is obviously a double where your examples are singles.

From your examples, I'd say that the cabin grade system on QE2 is much more logical now than it used to be. Probably the only cabins that are illogically graded are some of the very small C5 cabins (not like mine or yours) which really should be M grade.

some grades were shared by both one and two berth cabins

That explains why your Cat. J examples are singles while the photo is a double. That is, assuming grades did not change. Keep in mind these photos are from a 1987 brochure (though I think the photos themselves are older), but by and large the cabins in the photos look fairly similar to the ones you mention.

how a tiny First Class cabin single cabin - 2092 has crashed through the ranks to Caronia.

Sorry, how is that "crashing through the ranks"?

As the 1971 order appears to be alphabetically ordered the C4 'P', would in 1971 have been cheaper than the M1 'M'.

Just a note - you identify 4248 as a C4 when it is actually a C5.

It looks like my cabin, 4143, would also have been a P grade and is also now a C5. Meanwhile, your 4165, another C5, would have been an M.

What is the big difference between 4143/4148 and 4165? The former have third berths (sofas), while the latter does not. My guess is that the three-berth cabins were, alphabetically, a lower category because assuming they were actually sold as three-berth cabins, they would have been cheaper per person than a comparable two-berth cabin.

I am sure I have stayed in cabin 4165 as a M1 in 2002.

If so then you got an upgrade and didn't know it ;) ! 4165 has been a C5 cabin at least since 1998.

Perhaps you are thinking of 5165 which is an M1?

I still want to trade my upgraded cabin for cabin 2004.

You want to swap a P2 for a C5 ;) ? (Why???)

If so, I'll try to get my cabin changed to 2004 and I'll gladly swap with you :) ! (I'm not kidding; if cabin 2004 is available and for some bizarre reason you really want it, I will do everything I can to put you in 2004 and me in 2045...)

Sorry, how is that "crashing through the ranks"?

In some senses, not at all, as Cabin occupants still dine in what was the Columbia restaurant. However, other 'D' grade cabins like 2122 (I miswrote 2092) are now Q3's, for example, 1026, dining in the Queen's Grill, or 2120, now PG.

Peter

I see they are selling this crossing for £450 with return air at the moment.

Interesting. On this side of the pond the sailing is completely closed except for some high priced single cabins and Queen's Grill suites ... all at brochure or "FIT" pricing.

Air has not been offered on this sailing for a couple weeks now. Air space getting to London is very tight.

Ernie

Air & sea tickets arrived today, via a circuitous route from CA & after I went through a whole fandango (or maybe it was a kabuke dance) with Cunard & the TA... But they're in my hands at at last. (Mr. Ratcliffe still insists on calling us "guests," but if anyone asks me what I do, I'll say I'm a passenger, for old-time's sake.)

A question for those in the know: Any idea what hotel Cunard uses as a hospitality way-station for passengers arriving at Heathrow early on the morning of 3 January? I assume it will be in London (if we're not taken directly to Southampton from Heathrow), but someone told me they were once set down in Winchester, rather than in London.

Ah, those lists & maps & charts...:)

Merry Christmas & Happy Chanukah.

~John

A question for those in the know: Any idea what hotel Cunard uses as a hospitality way-station for passengers arriving at Heathrow early on the morning of 3 January?

~John

John,

I believe it was the Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel last time I used the service. It's only about five minutes from LHR. I'll probably see you there.

Julia

You want to swap a P2 for a C5 ;) ? (Why???)

If so, I'll try to get my cabin changed to 2004 and I'll gladly swap with you :) ! (I'm not kidding; if cabin 2004 is available and for some bizarre reason you really want it, I will do everything I can to put you in 2004 and me in 2045...)

I have booked cabin 2004 for this crossing 2 times and tried for this year, although 2004 was already booked and paid for in full.

1994-the "disaster" crossing-nothing worked due to the unfinished refit. Booked Concorde in conjunction with QE2 (had a coupon from a BMW dealer for a cheap upgrade). Couldn't get out of MCI in time to make Concorde due to major snow storm.

2004-MIL went to the hospital on Dec. 8. Weren't sure she would even make it to Christmas. She's fine.

If I am going to do the North Atlantic in the middle of Winter, I really wanted to be in the bow. Wanted to rock and roll all the way to NYC. And I liked the two portholes.

HOWEVER, if you are that eager to swap cabins, maybe I better take a look at my upgrade first. And the upgraded dining will probably be better, although I think the cabins are about the same size. 2004 is a HUGE C-5, so I have been told. We will discuss this when we board, OK.

HOWEVER, if you are that eager to swap cabins, maybe I better take a look at my upgrade first. And the upgraded dining will probably be better, although I think the cabins are about the same size. 2004 is a HUGE C-5, so I have been told. We will discuss this when we board, OK.

The problem is, neither you nor Doug are booked in cabin 2004. Apparently that cabin is occupied by someone already, and not part of the WCC. The occupants of cabin 2004 may also be booked on a much longer voyage rather than just the crossing.

Anyway, it's a long-shot the occupants will switch ... but it never hurts to try. greatam ... you have the better chance of getting them to switch onboard, since you have the far more desirable cabin and dining room.

Ernie

The problem is, neither you nor Doug are booked in cabin 2004.

And assuming 2004 is occupied, then neither one of us can do anything about it. (If 2004 is open, I would gladly change my cabin assigment so I could switch - but I assume it is not open, so that's neither here nor there.) That said if greatam is really serious about wanting a far-forward cabin, then I might be able to arrange for something that would achieve that... Not 2004, but another cabin that is about that far forward. I know someone who is in a far-forward cabin and I think he would like to get out of it.

Anyway, it's a long-shot the occupants will switch ...

I think the biggest obstacle is that the occupants may be on a much longer voyage, and might not want to switch cabins mid-cruise.

On the other hand, in a hypothetical situation where they were only going as far as FLL (which is unlikely), then I imagine the chances would be very good indeed - they'd have to really be in love with that far-forward location to not switch. I am sure 99.9% of people would much rather have 2045 than 2004... I certainly would and indeed I personally would intentionally avoid 2004.

Does anyone have any idea why it is a Caronia?

This is a vestige of the two-class system. It was originally a first-class cabin, and all the original first-class cabins (except the few insides, which were all singles and are now MI grades) are C, P, or Q grades.

The MO cabins were all former tourist-class cabins. (Virtually all M cabins, plus most C3 through C5 cabins, used to be tourist-class. C1/C2/CA cabins, and the P and Q cabins that are original and not added later, are first-class cabins.)

While your cabin is smaller than the two MO cabins you mention, it is larger than most of the others, and is in a better location and should have nicer decor and furnishings (because it is an original first-class cabin).

And assuming 2004 is occupied, then neither one of us can do anything about it. (If 2004 is open, I would gladly change my cabin assigment so I could switch - but I assume it is not open, so that's neither here nor there.) That said if greatam is really serious about wanting a far-forward cabin, then I might be able to arrange for something that would achieve that... Not 2004, but another cabin that is about that far forward.

Hey Doug,

I'm afraid 2004 is occupied. As it's a four berth cabin, it may even be occupied by four people.

Looking at the layout of cabin 2004, it is rather unique. As far as I can tell, only one porthole though and not two as greatam suggested. The interesting thing is that the bathroom is divided into a sink/shower in one room, and a toilette/sink in another. Good for four people.

I think 2004 is quite unique in this respect, and no doubt part of it's appeal. I don't see any other forward cabins on Two Deck that would come close to this layout or size. On a lower deck, 4016/4009/4007/4008 are quite large, but they are not as far forward as 2004 and the layout is more typical of QE2.

For me personally, I couldn't imagine wanting cabin 2004 over a Princess Grill cabin, but to each his own. Cabin 2045 is pretty fantastic ... complete with walk-in closet and bath tub.

Anyway, hopefully everyone is happy wherever they may end up!

Ernie

When I lived in NYC (Queens and Manhattan), I was one of those CRAZY people that had a car.

Driving in NY can be fun ... where else but on the Van Wyck can you be sitting in traffic and also have a "car to car" salesman sell you a new stereo or phone right in the middle of the expressway! :)

Ernie

Ooh, ooh! I know the answer! Pick me, Mr Kotter!

That would be Jamaica!

Where if you get a good gypsy cab driver (driving a private car, no cab license, hooked up by our cabbie who brought us into Montego Bay from the ship-and whose cab was already full)) He knows how to fend off the guys in the middle of the lanes selling you ice water, red, yellow and green bracelets, and everything else they are selling!

AH, It's part of big cities and hustlers!

I'm afraid 2004 is occupied.

I gathered that - but there other cabins that are very far forward too. A friend of mine is the occupant of one of them and I think he'd gladly take my cabin if offered, and I'd very gladly take greatam's cabin if offered.

Only hitch is, his cabin would have to be open on the NYC-FLL segment which it may well not be.

It's a long shot, but if greatam really wants a cabin that will give a rough ride and I could help by taking 2045, I'd be more than happy to ;) !

4016/4009/4007/4008 are quite large, but they are not as far forward as 2004

They are much bigger though. 2004 is only 173 sq ft. The others are around 214 sq ft.

They both have the split bathroom arrangement, I think, and the four deck cabins are nicer in that they have sofas.

They are much bigger though. 2004 is only 173 sq ft. The others are around 214 sq ft.

They both have the split bathroom arrangement, I think, and the four deck cabins are nicer in that they have sofas.

I'm not sure about "much bigger". Anyway, if size is the concern then the cabin they are in (2045) will be largest. I think it's around 245 sq ft.

Those Four Deck forward cabins look ok, maybe not great. I don't think they have the bulkhead curvature as pronounced as 2004 does. It sure would be interesting to see 2004. It may not be as good as good as the diagram appears?

Here are some links to pics of cabin 4005. This of one of those four-berth C5's that are forward on Four Deck.

Ernie

http://*****.com/8vq6m

http://*****.com/cv35a

http://*****.com/7do5c

http://*****.com/brkzh

Archived