QE2 - January 3, 2006 - Six Day Crossing

eroller

Much of this is my own opinions based on little experience and education.

I do have a bunch of weather map links on one of my web pages though, see http://website.lineone.net/~jonclair/qe2_jan06/index.htm

Long range wind forecasts can be got from http://weather.unisys.com/mrf/9panel/mrf_300_9panel_eur.html or http://weather.unisys.com/mrf/9panel/mrf_500_9panel_inv.gif for instance.

At the moment it is looking more promising again for some weather

I apologise for any typos, Karie.

<EG>

That's okay. Personally, I'm prefect~!<G>

I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong! <VBG>

I'm just fascinated that we seem to share a love of weather. Long ago, I taught a small course in weather. You know, in all those years, dispite the largest super-computer in the world (And I think the Cray has been replaced with something even bigger and better!) I swear the US weather bureau is no better- Nay worse, than they were 30 or 35 years ago! And I think the Farmer's Almanac has them all beat!

(BTW, I can't type for beans- So I have to proof everything I type, and even then I miss some! I just thought it was funny! No offense intended!)

So what will it be doing in NYC on the 3rd? (For us QM2ers)

Karie

Besides, some people have already left for England so it's not fair to change times or meeting places now.

Oh, I wasn't suggesting changing anything - just thought I'd bring it up out of curiosity.

Well before too many more of the WCC'ers head for Soton, I want to wish everyone at least a day or two of rough seas.

Thanks! A day or two should be fine. I'm not sure I'd want a whole six days, but definitely will be disappointed if we have none at all :) .

Doug, make sure someone leads you up to where you can touch the funnel, and don't break the bank in the bookstore, or at Cobwebs before you sail.

Will do on the first count, but no guarantees on the latter two ;) .

One definition of imbecility is the repetition of an identical action in the expectation of a different outcome.....and I ALWAYS do this on a crossing - bring books to read - and I NEVER end up reading them.....the days just somehow slip away, however, THIS time, I'm bringing the Potter & Frost books about the Mary, Elizabeth and QE2....in the hope that I MIGHT read some of them.....anyone else bringing crossing related books?

Peter

Who really should have started the ironing......:eek:

I might bring "The Only Way to Cross" and hope that John Maxtone-Graham can sign it. Otherwise I don't plan on bringing any other ocean liner books along. If I do, they'll just take up the space in my luggage for new liner books that I can buy onboard at the bookstore!

Good morning, everyone!

I leave my part of the world in about 24 hours, and I've already packed most everything. However, I've decided that I have too much luggage. I have one big hanging bag and one of the biggest suitcases you can get. Last night when I wasn't sleeping, I kept thinking about what one poster said...to not overpack because we can do laundry if necessary. So, today I'm going to "revisit" my packing list and pare down. It seems that I have a lot of Stuff as opposed to clothes. :rolleyes:

Any last minute words of advice or suggestions?

--Christy

Greetings from London... Sunny, cold, rainy, cold, sunny, snowing, sunny London. Haven't been near email or a computer in the last few days, just dropped in to wish everyone a Happy New Year and see you all on board.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all WCC members! Only a couple days and we will be sailing the high seas on QE2!

Safe travels to everyone and all the best for 2006! May there be many interesting ships and friendships in the coming year.

Ernie

Greetings from 2006 in London! Spectacular fireworks by the Thames, and now safely home in St John's Wood.....The weather for our trip is becoming a little clearer:

January 3 Southampton, forecast drizzle and mild:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=3471

First day at sea up to 12' waves:

https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/products/WAM/natl_swht_084.gif

Second day, possibly more interesting:

https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/products/WAM/natl_swht_108.gif

Third day, calmer weather:

https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/products/WAM/natl_swht_132.gif

However, as George Bernard Shaw observed of the sea, those who know it best trust it least! Day four and on, time will tell.......

Look forward to seeing y'all onboard (as I gather 'tis said....)

Safe journey to those yet to make it to this side of the pond.....and comfortable journey to Southampton for those already here!

Peter

Happy New Year to our friends celebrating near the Greenwich Meridian!

I know I'm late, but I just made up a veritable Chinese Dim Sum New Year for our quiet little celebration at home - Fried Mozzerella, Chicken Egg Rolls,. Mozzerella slice wrapped in Sopresato with Key lime mustard, Shrimp cocktail with fresh cocktail sauce, Shrimp Tempura. I actually made up some swedish meatballs to be drenched in Barbecue sauce too, but we are absolutely FULL! All else I have had today was a bartlett pear and a biscotti!

OTOH, I had enough just now to make up for it Not a lot of each, but it was enough, especially with all of the sauces!

Oh, and a mojito with fresh mint!

The question is, can I find fresh mint to bring with me to New York on Tuesday to share with Marty for our sailaway! Well, I mean for our mojito salute to NYC!

Hmm, I didn't pick up any black eyed peas for the traditional southern New Years meal- Brings good luck all year!

Well, after this year's luck (and I made black eyed peas from scratch- cooked with a smoked ham hock last year) maybe I need a change!

The new bras I ordered for the cruise (to keep from bruising my knees and to hold up the tops of my dresses) were stolen from my mailbox in the last couple of days! They couldn't reorder them and overnight them to me because they weren't going to be shipping anything til Tueday, at which time I have to BE in New York! Police had to come by and make a report. I spent the last two days at or on the phone with the post office. At least the

officer who came is an old friend I hadn't seen in ages. He investigate a burglary at my house 15 years ago- one of his first jobs! We caught up on old times. that was good. And I"ll know if I see some fourteen year old boy strutting around looking like Madonna in my strapless.... (No girl would deliberately steal a bra! Trust me!)

And I have already gone through the loss of a shipment that was misdelivered last month! The shipping Gods are not smiling on me! There's a television commerical in here somewhere!

HEY! I just thought of something. Who do we know that is getting OFF the ship Tuesday! If anyone is going to be going down to early, we could meet our fellow travelers, well met!

(No way with a four hour drive, *I* will be there early.) Quite a few are going down a day early to sight-see and just relax. I am thinking it might not be a bad idea- they are talking about the possibility of snow between Monday and Tuesday. And I already have about 2 new inches on my deck from tonight! WHOA! fat fingers! I just typed 32 by accident! Whew! good thing I caught that one!

Well, Happy New Year, Y'all!

May it be peacful and prosperous and may fate smile upon all of you!

Karie

P.S. I know this was rather discombobulated,. It was the mojito talking! And I haven't even finished my first one! I think I'm tired! I may not make it to midnight! Been up since 6:30 AM after not sleeping half the night!

Gosh,I don't have the stamina since I hit 50! <LOL>

HEY! I just thought of something. Who do we know that is getting OFF the ship Tuesday! If anyone is going to be going down to early, we could meet our fellow travelers, well met!

Did you just switch your booking to QE2, or did you post this on the wrong thread ;) ?

Seriously, even if you did post this on the wrong thread, your celebration sounds quite delicious... I think I need to spend New Year's 2007 at your place ;) !

Did you just switch your booking to QE2, or did you post this on the wrong thread ;) ?

Seriously, even if you did post this on the wrong thread, your celebration sounds quite delicious... I think I need to spend New Year's 2007 at your place ;) !

Nope!

Just feeling like y'all are all my friends!

And responding to someone's New Year's wish!

I'll get doubly maudlin over thre if it makes you feel better! <G>

(I love you man .... But you can't have my Bud!)

Come to think of it, I would drink horse p!$$ beofre I would drink Bud! You can have my Bud all you want! <G>

Happy New Year~ <G>

(You're welcome at my new Year's celebration. I used to have an annual party- At which an entire skydiving club was invited! you want to talk about a wild party!)

Happy New Year to everyone and best wishes for a safe journey to Southampton.

Well, only one more shift of work this evening (there's no rest for wicked R.N.s.) Other than that, I'm pretty well packed and ready. I'll see you all soon, and I look forward to being with you on Tuesday at 2200 G.M.T. in the Chart Room! :)

Nope!

Just feeling like y'all are all my friends!

OK - just was wondering which ship you meant when you said "the ship"!

Personally, I'll nominate you as an honorary WCC member - but you have to promise to try to do to the 2007 crossing ;) .

(You're welcome at my new Year's celebration. I used to have an annual party- At which an entire skydiving club was invited! you want to talk about a wild party!)

Well, thanks for your kind invitation ;) !

Skydiving. hmm... Not my cup of tea. Crossing the North Atlantic by sea in winter is about as daring as I get!

Happy New Year to everyone and best wishes for a safe journey to Southampton.

Same to you Frank! (And to all our other members too!)

Personally, I have just over 24 hours before wheels up, and of course we all have just under 48 hours before we cast off. Of course, that is assuming that both my flight and QE2 are on time!

OK - just was wondering which ship you meant when you said "the ship"!

Personally, I'll nominate you as an honorary WCC member - but you have to promise to try to do to the 2007 crossing ;) .

The ship, as compared to the passenger's email.

I'll do my best on that crossing, but it won't be the same if it's on the QM!

Karie

Anyone sailing on the QE2 January 3, 2006? My brother and I just confirmed on the sailing. We are taking the 6-day Transatlantic crossing from Southampton to NY. It's actually the first segment of the World Cruise and Cunard has been offering some pretty good deals.

This will probably be my last time on QE2, and although I was not completely satisfied with my first experience on the ship, everything deserves a second chance. I really enjoyed the ship itself, my fellow passengers, and the atmosphere ... it was the food, service, and air conditioning that were the culprits.

This time we booked in Caronia Class which should offer a better experience. I just hope the air conditioning has been improved.

Ernie

Will they be doing this in 2007? There is a cruise that ends in Southampton for the QE2 on the 2nd of January 2007 and of course the World Cruise starts on the 8th so the ship has to cross the Atlantic of course. I assume it will not cross empty. We are going to get intouch with the travel agent tomorrow and look into this. This would mark our 3rd crossing on the QE2. We will turn 2006 over to Cunard for vacation purposes and take the Mary during the spring or summer somewhere.

Hey all you Winter Crossing Club Members,

Have a great crossing on the QE2. We'll lift a glass of bubbly to all of you from the port side of deck 11 of the QM2 to toast your voyage to New York, New York.

Cruiserking

We have been eying the Independence Sampler 5 day cruise to/from NYC on the QM2 for 2006. Its moderately priced and exactly halfway between now and a January 2007 QE2 crossing.

We also are looking into the Thanksgiving week QM2 cruise from Ft. Lauderdale. A bit more (and I say bit) casual than a crossing and it too is moderately priced with fare at $999pp that I have seen. Only gripe is that by booking for Thanksgiving and then January we have to wait 11 months from now! :-()

In a semi-related question since the QE2 primarily sails from England now on European voyages I assume then that the vast majority of passengers are European? Also would the crossing from the UK to NY for the World Cruise launch be full of Europeans taking the ship over in anticipation of taking the World Cruise? Sounds like a lovely interesting tucked away type of crossing and perhaps a quite different atmosphere than one might be accustomed to.

Just decided to check in to see if there were any questions I could answer.

As mentioned, QE2 will be doing this same crossing (but to Manhattan, not Brooklyn) on 2 Jan 2007. There will also be one in April 2007, at the end of the world cruise. This year, pax doing round-trip from NYC transfer from QE2 to QM2 at So'ton for the last leg back to NYC. Next year, it will be possible to do the whole voyage round-trip from NYC again for the first time in several years.

I hope to be on board the 2 Jan crossing next year though for me this is way too early to do any serious planning.

I would say the pax mix is about 2/3 Brits, the last 1/3 divided between North Americans and Germans. It is a very nice mix.

I and (as far as I know) the other CC members on board are having a wonderful time. I may not be checking in on CC again so if you have any questions before I return on 9 Jan just send me an e-mail at shiploverny at yahoo dot com and I will be glad to answer.

Full review, photos, etc. to come upon my return of course!

Archived