Grand Turk Snorkel Question

EdmundXXIII

HI,

We took part in this excursion a couple years ago. On the trip to your snorkel spots the boat does traverse the wall. In fact, one of the snorkel spots is very near the wall. However, once in the water, you are not "allowed" to swim over the wall. I am an excellent swimmer and long-time snorkeler and when I started out to the wall the crew "insisted" that I return to the proximity of the boat.

I don't suppose this ruined the trip but it kinda pi$$$ed me off. If snorkeling over the wall is high on your to-do list, make other arrangements

Brian

What is "The Wall"?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Um, let see.

"The Wall". A song by Pink Floyd? Nah, that couldn't be it.

"The Wall". A memorial in Washington, D.C. to Vietnam veterans? A good wall but not in Grand Turk.

"The Wall at Grand Turk". The Grand Turk Wall begins in aquamarine waters as shallow as 18 feet and averages a starting depth of 35 feet. Then the drama begins as the wall drops off to a deep azure blue in over 7,000 feet making for great diving at all skill and experience levels. Here the only currents are tidal, and visibility often exceeds 150 feet.

Check out "Snorkeling The Wall, Grand Turk" on YouTube to get a better description.

We did this excursion in may 2014 and we did snorkel the wall with no restrictions as to where we swam. However, we found the coral to be mostly bleached out and dead. I was very disappointed with the quality of the snorkeling. Hope that helps.

Jaimee