Other Options in Juneau

didytak

Hello!

My husband and I will be traveling with his parents next month, and it will be a first time for all of us in Juneau. In reading through the boards, it looks like people predominantly do either a whale watching tour, Mendenhall Glacier, or a combination of the two while there. If neither of those options flips our trigger, what other things are fun and cost-effective in Juneau? Is the downtown walkable and interesting? Anything else that is "not to be missed" while in this port?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Hello!

My husband and I will be traveling with his parents next month, and it will be a first time for all of us in Juneau. In reading through the boards, it looks like people predominantly do either a whale watching tour, Mendenhall Glacier, or a combination of the two while there. If neither of those options flips our trigger, what other things are fun and cost-effective in Juneau? Is the downtown walkable and interesting? Anything else that is "not to be missed" while in this port?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Have you looked over a shore excursion list? There is way more than what you have listed.

Frankly, thinking just sticking with the downtown area, is very limiting. But there are walking tour maps at the dock visitor center.

Rent a car and drive around for the day. Drive out to the coast, visit the Shrine of St Therese, Eagle Beach, Roads End.

Borrow Alaska travel books from your library and see what other options interest you. Read trip reports in the STICKYs above to see what other people enjoyed in Juneau.

It is definitely a town you can walk around in. Some of the shops near the docks that I enjoy are, The Alaska Fudge shop (terrific fudge - we go there every time!) and the Russian Store on Franklin Street. This is where they sell the best Metroyshka dolls (stacking dolls) that were made more famous during the Olympics this past winter.

In all of the AK ports I like to go into the fur stores and look at all of the beautiful items. I have found some fantastic deals near the end of the season too.

We really enjoy the Mt. Roberts Tram Ride (right in town very close to where the ships dock) and if it is at all clear, I recommend going up there. You can get a fantastic birds eye view of your ship below. There are hiking trails, a visitor center, an eagle sanctuary, etc. up there. If it's clear, and you will be there in the evening, you will probably see a fantastic sunset.

Enjoy your cruise!