Consumption fee on RCCL... what you can do...

There's been a lot of threads with regards to the removal of the consumption fee of $9.50 for buying booze in the ship store and taking it back to the cabin.

I wrote a balanced account of why I, as a loyal Crown and Anchor Society member, think that this is a foolish thing for RCCL to do. I didn't make threats or use unsavory language- I simply spelled out how I felt about this in an adult manner.

As a result, I got an email back that implied that writing to the central office could actually effect this decision. So, for all of you who really want to make a difference- I recommend writing to the following:

Royal Caribbean International

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, Florida 33132-2096

Write as many letters as possible to the Corporate Officers of RCCL- this way one's bound to get through.

I also encourage emailing the Crown & Anchor Society email address: crownandanchor@rccl.com

Remember that RCCL listens to it's C&A members first as we're their most loyal customers. Send along your number, standing (gold, platinum, diamond, diamond plus), and why you think this decision is a bad one. (btw- if you've cruised once with RCCL, you're a member of C&A)

Crown and Anchor wasn't dismissive at all about my email and has been VERY helpful in getting the addresses above to me. You might also want to write to:

Crown & Anchor Society

P.O. Box 026053

Miami, FL 33102-6053

I wouldn't recommend calling- writing is always more respected within any firm. It shows a serious committment when one takes the time to write.

Again- state your position as if explaining it to your grandmother- not the guy at the barstool next to you. If enough of us do this, I do believe we can reverse this decision.

My position is that RCCL should merely increase the consumption fee rather then remove it. Ymmv.

Let's get this done.

Happy sailing,

Paul

I think I'll start writing E-mails thanking them for removing one of the many reasons I see drunks stumbling around their ships and drunken teenagers causing trouble in the public areas.

There have been so many threads in the past concerning drunken idiiots causing trouble and underage drinking that now, when something is being done about it, a few people think it's the worst move on the face of the planet. RCI can't control a bottle of booze in the room but they can control what's sold and to whom at the bar.

Personally, I applaude this move by RCI. While I enjoyed having a glass of Baily's Irish Creme in my room at night, I can give it up if I don't have to put up with drunken teenagers or an obnoxious boozed up drunk making everyone around him/her miserable.

Thank you RCI for being brave enough to take a stand despite those who feel the MUST have a bottle in their room for a seven night cruise.

Now if they could only find a way to cut into the chair hog problem.

Cruisin', Thanks for posting this information. I also am going to have my travel agent complain about this. I really regret that I have such a large suite (GS) now that I won't be spending that much time in it. Just think I could have saved the money on the suite to finance my bar bill!

Well, I see both sides of this but I do doubt writing all the letters in the world will help. Remember RCI isn't the first line to do this. I actually expect to see other lines follow. Do I like it? Of course not, but do you think the cruise line is really worried about how many passengers they will lose by changing the policy? NMNita

I think I'll start writing E-mails thanking them for removing one of the many reasons I see drunks stumbling around their ships and drunken teenagers causing trouble in the public areas.

There have been so many threads in the past concerning drunken idiiots causing trouble and underage drinking that now, when something is being done about it, a few people think it's the worst move on the face of the planet. RCI can't control a bottle of booze in the room but they can control what's sold and to whom at the bar.

Personally, I applaude this move by RCI. While I enjoyed having a glass of Baily's Irish Creme in my room at night, I can give it up if I don't have to put up with drunken teenagers or an obnoxious boozed up drunk making everyone around him/her miserable.

Thank you RCI for being brave enough to take a stand despite those who feel the MUST have a bottle in their room for a seven night cruise.

I totaly agree. And you said it in a much nicer, kinder, way than I did on another thread. Good job.

So I guess you would be ok with a change in policy that would maybe tell you to exit the pool area beacause you've passed your time limit? I would applaud RCI for that policy but I'm guessing you wouldn't. Why should I care since I rarely use the pool area because it's too crowded and not enough chairs, right?

To tell the truth, RCCL is the only line that allowed the liquor to be bought and taken to your room, even with a corkage fee. I don't think you'll have much luck here. Unfortunately people that get drunk in their cabin, don't usually stay there. They go out and create havoc wherever they go.

While I also like to enjoy a drink in my room. I will just get dressed for dinner that much quicker and head to the martini bar before dinner.

So I guess you would be ok with a change in policy that would maybe tell you to exit the pool area beacause you've passed your time limit? I would applaud RCI for that policy but I'm guessing you wouldn't. Why should I care since I rarely use the pool area because it's too crowded and not enough chairs, right?

Actually, I could care less since I don't use the pools.

Maybe they could have passengers check out their pool chairs with a little meter on it that must be punched every so often or the chair gets picked up and taken away? Now that's something I would enjoy watching. Chair hogs running back to their chair to punch the timer so they don't lose their primo seat. :D

Oh c'mon. You don't see the drunks when they are in their own cabin anyway. I guess you will see more in the passageways and bars now.

Ahhhh, if they'd only stay IN their cabin and be quite about it rather than making a**'s of themselves in public.

Nothin' wrong with more passengers in the bar. I've seen tons of empty seats in all the lounges they have anyway. Just take a look at some of my pics at webshots. There's always been someplace to sit in the bar.

Now if you're trying to have a drink by the pool you might be out of luck.

I think they just want to force you to smuggle. It's ok. I'll pack a bottle or 2 in my carryon..... If only I could get a keg in there.

I predict that the next "I hate RCI because" thread will be about confiscated booze from attempted smugglings of passengers desprate to have a bottle handy in their cabin.

I wonder if they'll start cracking down on smuggled soft drinks as well? I guess I'll wait until we get to our first port and only purchase a six pack to see what happens.

BTW, before someone jumps on an obvious opening, if they get firm on no soda's brought onboard, I'll be dissappionted I can't have my Pepsi but, I can live without it for a couple of weeks if I have to. It won't stop me from sailing on RCI or any other line for that matter.

I have read ALL the threads on this issue and to me the bottom line is very clear. This decision is purely financial and maybe to some extent a legal move to protect RCI from some level of liability. In todays lawsuit ridden business climate, I don't like this decision, but understand why it may have been made. Having said that...talk about sending mixed messages RCI! C'mon who do you think you're kidding when you have waiters pushing drinks all day & night shouting messages like "the more you booze, the better the cruise" and build ships with numerous bars/lounges to frequent? Recently we sailed with our 2 young adult kids one is 21 and doesn't drink, the other 19. We signed consent for the 19 year old to be able to consume only beer and wine as the rules state. We did not have any booze in our cabin. Our 19 year old ordered alcohol drinks for me and my husband while he was waiting for us to arrive at the disco...no questions asked, he signed and our drinks arrived!! Our 21 year old was encouraged many times by waiters to order something other than soda...and one went so far as to bring a special drink for her that he and the bartender made that didn't taste too much like alcohol! This didn't upset us because we understand that RCI wants their customers to have a great time during their stay and all of us certainly did and can't wait to sail with them again! But I'm not buying the arguement that the cruiselines need to stop selling liquor for in cabin consumption because they can better monitor who & how much is being served in the public spaces. We all know, it doesn't matter how many rules or laws are in place for alcohol or drugs and even crimes, if someone wants to break them they will find a way sober or not. Wouldn't it just be better to increase monitoring (increase security) on all ships, then quickly & firmly attend to those individuals that display inappropriate behavior (increase safety for all) instead of adding more restrictions to your loyal & courteous guests (decrease customer satisfaction)? This is my letter to RCI...

Has anyone thought of this? Maybe the incident that occured on the Brilliance was casued by a drunken rage....WELL WE KNOW THAT:) But just maybe they purchased the alchohol onboard and paid the fee, took it back to their cabin and we know what happened from there. Maybe this is RCCL's way of panic to cover their butt's.....Just my thought!

Tim

Has anyone thought of this? Maybe the incident that occured on the Brilliance was casued by a drunken rage....WELL WE KNOW THAT:) But just maybe they purchased the alchohol onboard and paid the fee, took it back to their cabin and we know what happened from there. Maybe this is RCCL's way of panic to cover their butt's.....Just my thought!

Tim

I read that they had smuggled booze in their cabin, including absinthe. Of course, the news reports have been full of conflicting information, so who knows. But it seems pretty certain they were drunk. CruzinPat, I agree with your views on this.

Other lines may not have had the "buy it in our duty-free shop and then take it with you for an extra $9.50" policy, but they have "room service" where you can buy an entire bottle and have it delivered to your room. The outcome is the same.

RC is/was NOT the only cruiseline permitting this. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.......

This is NOT going to affect drunkenness on board. What a crock.

CruzinPat,

I understand your point perfectly. The problem as I see it is that there is what corporate THINKS is going on and what ACTUALLY happens on the ship.

Theirs corporate policy and then there's the wink and a nod that the staff preforms.

Smuggled booze, pop and bottled water are an example. Heck, you don't even have to hide the soft drinks or water. Corporate policy strictly prohibits food or beverages of any kind. That's corporate reality. The fact that they are brought onboard all the time with a wink and a nod from staff is the ships or actual reality.

This new policy shift won't stop drunken behavior or underage drinking. It might slow it down a bit but it won't stop it. Not until RCI actually enforces it's own rules will bad behavior be slowed down considerably. However, that might not be good business. It's easier to put in a "new" policy and hide behind that in a court of law. That way they can blame someone else, an employee, who didn't follow written company policy and possibly shift blame to avoid a really hefty financial penalty but receive a slap on the wrist instead.

Still, I think the this new policy of not letting people buy 3 bottles of rum for $10 to take back to their room to drink is a good thing. It won't eliminate drunken disorderly conduct but it has to cut it back to some degree by making it either more expensive to drink or access just a little more difficult.

This is NOT going to affect drunkenness on board. What a crock.

So you're saying that the ablility to buy 3 bottles of rum for $10 plus the consumption fee didn't add to exessive drunkenes vs paying $6 per drink at the bar? You're kidding right?

Under the old policy, I could purchase 3 liters of rum onsale for little or nothing, pay another $26.50 to take it back to my room, bring on my own soft drink mixers and stay drunk for the week. total cost would be around $100-$200.

I wonder what that same amount of booze purchased at one of the many bars will cost?

I'm sorry, I really believe it will cut down on some of the drunkeness onboard. It won't eliminate it but it will get rid of some of the cheap drunks that only cruise to booze.

In '95 when I sailed to Bermuda we used to buy beers at the little store across fron the dock in Hamilton. A 12 pack was cheaper than the ship and my brother in law and I would take the beers to the beach, pool deck whatever, iced down in my little coolie bag...You could walk on the ship with the "beer bag" and nothing was said... Sometimes, we'd go twice a day!!! But believe me, we spent plenty on other stuff (booze) all day and night...

Then all the "rules" started...In November '04 we paid the corkage fee to take a bottle of vodka to the room...and when we left, there was still 3/4 of a bottle that we left for the steward...we were traveling to another destination and didn't want to carry it with us...

We've done trips where we "smuggled" and others that we didn't....We do NOT have a problem paying for drinks...sometimes we just want the convenience of having what we want without having to wait forever for room service..

Policies will never affect the drunkeness on board....those who are pi$$ed that they can't smuggle....will buy more drinks on the ship...

I've seen people who had 2 drinks act like they were whacked!!! (Maybe they were!!!)....

Guess when all is said and done....people will still drink as much as they want......no matter what the price...

Many other...if not most...cruise lines have restricted in cabin drinking through one mechanism or the other. No matter whether you contend it is to sell more drinks at the bar [which some claim are watered down], it seems apparent the objective is to reduce public drunkenness and the problems that go along with it.

The booze is not watered down as some might say. Certainly not the premium stuff that people will drink neat. And they make so much on the booze already they do not need to "water it down". A case of bar well (the real cheap stuff) vodka or rum costs about 6 bucks a bottle times 33 drinks in a 1 liter bottle times whatever they charge for the "drink of the day" plus mixers and you can see they make a killing on booze sales. And before anyone says "how do you know what booze sells for by the case" my wife works for a liquor distributor here in the NYC area that's how.

Archived